Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 01:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

cant get components as well as 6x9s..
just components and a woofer will not fetch me the output i need. so i need nice 6x9s that suffice for now
Old 26th September 2008, 01:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

i think ill zero in on one of the 2 gz 6x9s available now..
theres an electra 6x9 available too but havent heard much about them (el 693)
plz suggest one out of these 3.. focal is also a candidate but budget maxes out at 5k for the pair
Old 26th September 2008, 18:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would still insist that you consider components for the front. It can be installed cleanly. Even the best pair of 6x9s wont match up to a good pair of comps upfront.

Not necessary to use 6x9s in the rear. You could even use a pair of 4" coaxes to just provide the rear fill. Since you already have a sub.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I would still insist that you consider components for the front. It can be installed cleanly. Even the best pair of 6x9s wont match up to a good pair of comps upfront.

Not necessary to use 6x9s in the rear. You could even use a pair of 4" coaxes to just provide the rear fill. Since you already have a sub.
Absolutely second that. I have experienced the difference, the front sound stage is vital & only components in the front can give you any decent sound.
Old 26th September 2008, 21:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

how much would illusion electra components cost me with the door modification?
Old 28th September 2008, 02:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

b&t to the rescue.. monday hermit!@
Old 28th September 2008, 15:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Esteem Final Ice After Illusionizing
Head Unit: Pioneer 7950ub With A Steering Remote
Amplifier: Sony 504 Mounted In The Boot
Speakers: Illusion Audio Electra El 6.1 Component System which i think B&T Hermit Audio will be mounting!
Rear Speakers: None As Of Now, Do I Really Need Them?
Subwoofer: Pioneer 305 800w Mounted In An Enclosure In The Boot
Thunder Audio Cabling
Empty Mdf Parcel Shelf Has 2 Holes For 6x9s And One Hole For The Sub. What Do I Do? the shelf is pretty new so i don't want to change it
Old 28th September 2008, 18:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Empty Mdf Parcel Shelf Has 2 Holes For 6x9s And One Hole For The Sub. What Do I Do? the shelf is pretty new so i don't want to change it
Congratulations on the ICE upgrade.
As for the MDF parcel tray, you can have it re-carpeted for about Rs 150. The holes won't be visible after that.
Old 28th September 2008, 18:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

thank you very much.. will speak to b&t now and fix the time for tomorrow.
watch this space for pics!
Old 29th September 2008, 00:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

its not thunder audio.. its twister cable
Old 30th September 2008, 00:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

i just got back from ajay bhai's place at parel with GZ 690MK2's and Illusion Audio Electra EL 6.1s in my car, and more importantly a wide smile on my face which later progressed to a grin as soon as I pumped up the volume!
he's a great fellow and however small my install was(considering its value) he gave full attention and lots of time for it.. his famed installer Shafiq attended to my car the whole day.. he started at 12 and got done at 915... after which ajay bhai gave his midas touch to my average amplifier to tune it and produce a 'not so average' sound.. great expeience and a great great person..
the damping, the neatness of the job, nothing left anything to be desired.
im highly impressed and wish ajaybhai and his team remain as helpful and as skilled as they are for the next few years so they can do many more installs for me in the years to come..
thanx to everyone on t-bhp for this absolutely mind blowing setup, considering my tight budget.. it wuldnt have been possible if it werent for you guys!
for pics of the install. pls refer to my thread in the mods and accessories section labelled esteem midlife makeover
Old 17th October 2008, 01:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

ok 2 things!
1: im going for a new amp TOMORROW, and ive zeroed in on 5 of them(the 5th one is a ghastly name but sounds decent, wait till i mention the brand)
a: jbl gt5604cs
b: blaupunkt gta4mk2
c: sony xm604(to complement my 504 already)
d: jbl 402
e: SURPRISE!: Chicago 777 4 Channels: rated at 5400W peak and no RMS ratings to be seen anywhere else but a lot of installers in mumbai vouch for it and swear by its internals. tried auditioning it today, a little about that later, read on.

yes so coming back to the 2nd thing:
i am thinking of upgrading my sub to a vfm jbl gt512, which i presume is the basic one. the reason why is cos my pioneer 305f is a free air and i didnt know that till yesterday(bought it in the days when pioneer was the way to go for everything and blindly went by the name) so its mounted in a niceish box that is definitely not made according to the specs. the thump from it is decent.
will upgrading just the amp aid in increasing the thump? even if the sub is a free air and i still dont mount it on the shelf AND keep the ported box? i currently have a 504z sony which drives my electra 6.1s and the pio 305f. i also have ground zero mk2s but i shall come back to them. read on still!!! the gzs are running on the HU.
so here goes,
i went to one of my installer friends and he connected the chicago 777 to my hu and it was mighty impressive, driving the pio sub and the comps. the comps sounded a little cleaner(not too much of a difference) but BOY was the sub hitting hard..
now the fellow connected my gz mk2s to the sony, but there was MASSIVE distortion at even the lowest of volumes, so routed it to the chicago. same issue. then came the point where there was a cab strike in mumbai, and i had to attend to my patients so couldnt leave.
so left midway without reconnecting the system.
i think the gz distortion can be solely attributed to a set of faulty rcas(in my case, boss audios, shouldnt have even allowed them inside in the first place)

hence now, coming back to the issue:
if i dont wanna upgrade the sub, will a jbl 2 ch make it worthwhile???i intend to upgrade the sub soon but not too soon, if it aint broke, dont fix it, goes the saying.
ok, another thing: if i get a jbl 2 ch and replace the pio 305f sub with it will it make a difference? is the sub change necessary for this amp?
one more option: if i get any of the 4 ch amps above and dont change the sub right now, is that a better option than the above????? the cost will be 2k more and frankly i think 2k in this installment is a very big diff. have alreay spent a lac and 10 on this car and i dont wanna spend 2k more on say a 10% increase in bass.
also, just one more final question: chicago sounds killer and has a good backing from my seller. should i get it? it costs the same as the jbl 604 amp but has very good internals. what say????
can someone PLEASE reply asap. leaving at 11 tomorrow~~~~~

considering that my setup is:
pio 7950ub HU
electra el 6.1s
sony xm504z 4 ch amp
NEW amp(one from the above)
pio 605f/jbl 1205
gz mk2s,
which amp to power which component of the setup: THIS IS A VERY INTEGRAL ISSUE!

Last edited by frankmehta : 17th October 2008 at 01:29.
Old 17th October 2008, 09:21   #28
BHPian

ideally IMO
option 1
new 4 channel amp - powers the front components and a new GT4 in a ported box.
if you like your loud bass you will be happier with ported rather than sealed.
Also a ported sub requires less poer to drive it than a sealed sub ( so a 60*2 rms bridge should be sufficient for a gt4)
Entire old Sony 4channel drives your GZ ovals ( all 4 channels bridged to supply 120 or so rms to each oval) - they are rated about 100rms so they will ROCK with this power.

but please go to a good installer to sort out the distortion problem!
buy MX rcas instead . you will get them in lamington road for about 375rcs ( top of the line 4 metres digital rcas) - check my classifieds post to view a pic of them.
ps:mine are already sold i think!!

option 2

VFM option
keep the free air pioneer sub in a ported box ( just make a new box according to corect specifications)
buy 2 channel chicago amp and drive the sub.
Old sony 4 channel drives compos and GZ ovals
Old 17th October 2008, 21:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

ok ive had these HUGE problem with my ground zeros. please help me out with that.
here goes:
the ground zeros are STILL distorting!
i tried changing:
1. the earth wire position and the wire itself
2. the wires running to it from the amp
3. the rca from the hu to the amp
4. the amp itself
5. the HU volume on different levels: from low to high
6. the gain on the amp and the eq levels on the HU(always zero in my case)
7. finally we gave up and connected it directly to the hu to run off it, and to my ABSOLUTE horror, they were outputting the same horrid distortion. im in distress guys!

nothing, i repeat NOTHING is working to solve the issue.
yesterday when i left from the install midway i didnt switch on my system(since it was disconnected) till i reached the installers today afternoon..
then they fired up the system in a matter of minutes. it was working fine.
the GZs were firing very well through the sony amp.
10 minutes, 15 minutes and then 20 minutes, i started noticing increased treble, lack of bass progressively and then total distortion. i attribute this time period to the heating of the coil of BOTH speakers as they were playing.
then i tried all these combos and still didnt work.
i left the plan of upgrading/getting a new amp till i sort out the issue with the GZ's.
please try helping me out on this.
ok all wasnt bad news!
i managed to get the ULTIMATE enlcosure possible for my sub. its a japanese(i may be mistaken on that) Sanen Acoustics Double Ported Enclosure(2nd hand) if anyones heard of them and its a much larger double ported box that just kicks! an average sub running on an average setup(mine is average!) kicking out sweeeeeet thump in the boot. felt a little muddy first but then reduced the subwoofer settings in the HU. as of now its on 80Hz and -2!! yes u read right, the subwoofer level is set on -2 and still creates a din.
i miss the balance of my ground zeros, which have been sadly disconnected to avoid damage to them. please help guys, im almost close to what i want. just the issue with the Gzs need to be sorted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Esteem Mid Life *ICE* Makeover-snc00019-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Esteem Mid Life *ICE* Makeover-snc00020-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Esteem Mid Life *ICE* Makeover-snc00021-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 17th October 2008 at 21:36.
Old 18th October 2008, 01:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

CORRIGENDUM@ sanen!
sanen is an indian company based in mumbai that makes speakers and sub enclosures. their portfolio on the website is hardly impressive but the enclosure i managed to get my hands on, sounds like there is more than one sub running in the boot: and that is without the rear fills that may add slightly to the bass. tight bass with a pronounced kick above the pelvic girdles is what i can explain the experience..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks