Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2008, 02:03   #1

Audio system for Bolero SLX

Need your advice for a good (read bass rich) music system for Bolero SLX. I am in UK and am planning to buy this vehicle when I travel to India later this year.

The default audio is branded as Mahindra, and manufactured by NIPPON AUDIOTRONIX LTD., model no. is NDC - MP3008, nope it does not support USP or IPod.

I have a few selections for the headunit and the speaker-amp. Please suggest what you guys think.

For the headunit, I am looking at Sony MEX BT-3600U.
MEX-BT3600U (MEXBT3600U) : In car and GPS : Sony : United Kingdom

For speaker-amp, I am getting a good deal on a Fusion Encounter 12' active tube pack for £99 roughly Rs 8000. [http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/fusi...k-p-6273.html]

There are other options Kenwood KFC-W3011 4 in 1 deal, 1200 watts amp again under a £100 pounds. A few more deals from JBL etc.
[http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...0_p-23130.htm]

Does it make sense to purchase it here in the UK or from Mumbai (cost and quality wise and carrying an xtra 8-10 kg baggage).

Help much appreciated.
Old 21st September 2008, 14:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get some decent amps from UK and maybe nice HU
Old 21st September 2008, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

how will you escape customs?
Old 21st September 2008, 18:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

The only advantage UK market has over India is availability of some more brands & models. However, for the same brand / model (in the commonly used ranges) the price in India is likely to be lesser than in UK.

The advantage in UK is only when one spots deals - and that needs patience and a lot of scanning. Baggage and customs hassles really nullify any perceived advantage.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:51   #5
BHPian

No intention to hijack this thread...but could you guys suggest a nice audio system for my Bolero SLE? (Do consider all that NVH).

I don't need a subwoofer or an additional amplifier. I'm looking at a normal 4 or 6 speaker system.
How much would they cost?
Also, please suggest a good installer in Bangalore.

Thanks.
Old 11th October 2008, 20:00   #6

Which Subwoofer & headunit now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The only advantage UK market has over India is availability of some more brands & models. However, for the same brand / model (in the commonly used ranges) the price in India is likely to be lesser than in UK.

The advantage in UK is only when one spots deals - and that needs patience and a lot of scanning. Baggage and customs hassles really nullify any perceived advantage.
Hi Derlite,

I got a nice deal on an almost new Alpine MRP-M450 monoblock amp and a JBL amp connection kit. It cost me around 50 pounds which I think is almost a third of the original price. I am looking for a complimenting subwoofer and headunit. For the headunit I am looking at the Sony MEX-BT3600 which has everything, ie mp3/cd/usb/aux in/bluetooth and priced around 8-9K rupees. For the subwoofer I am looking at a JBL enclosure. JBL GT5-1204BR.

Please let me know what you guys think abt the buys and the planned buys. I have enclosed pics for reference.

I want to know if there is some good deal goin on on headunits and subwoofer enclosers at the moment.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Audio system for Bolero SLX-alpine-mrpm450-car-ampsub-subwoofer-amplifier.jpg  

Audio system for Bolero SLX-jbl-amp-connection-kit.jpg  

Old 11th October 2008, 20:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

That looks like an original JBL wiring kit (for a change). I guess Sam will be able to tell.

Good plan on the Subwoofer. It will be a good buy. But maybe you should look at other options for the HU (Pio/Kenwood/JVC/Blau, for all those features). Sony is best avoided.
Old 11th October 2008, 21:15   #8
BHPian

@rajeshcom i agree completely with hydrashok. SONY is best avoided. for good value for money take jvc, kenwood or pioneer. for better performance get blaupunkt alpine or eclipse. the last three tend to be a bit pricey but are great when it comes to quality. pioneer however is a great trade off between the two. things to look out for also on then would be 2 or 3 preouts so you can connect two amps one for the back and front sound stage and one for your sub. in the subs see if you can get a deal on the higher gta series. they are a bit better. also check for some of the old alpine subs. i believe a new line is out and some of the online retailers are selling at a discount
Old 11th October 2008, 22:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'd even recommend Alpine HU.
They are pretty good and give good SQ.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

JVC is another option for HU.

Bolero has option for only 4 speakers by default.

50 GBP for amp + kit?

Would suggest a sub from India as these are pretty heavy. Get an HU instead of that.
Old 12th October 2008, 10:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

The amp+wiring combo is amazing it basically a clearance price since these are dated models. Well worth the price.

I would seriously consider what DerAlte has said in other cases.
Old 12th October 2008, 10:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

I'd say 1 thing.
Delhi customs are way too bad.
Tell them you dont have anything to declare , they will let you pass.
Happened with me 3 times.

But then it depends on your luck too
All the best
Old 12th October 2008, 11:27   #13
BHPian

@ rajeshcom
please have a look at the classifieds.
there are 2 JBL ported boxs on sale there at a good price.
However i dont think they are bass reflex
Old 12th October 2008, 14:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Car Audio Direct - Hertz Energy Pack - Promo Pack

Car Audio Direct - Harman Kardon CA5250 - Amplifier

Shame we dnt get these here at these price:(
Old 12th October 2008, 15:57   #15

Thanks guys.. keep the ideas coming

all your suggestions much appreciated.

JKD i have not head the music system in bolero. Are the componets very basic ? Will I need to replace them as well ?
My idea was to keep it simple. The SLX is a fully loaded model so comes with pretty much everything as standard. But I want to change a few things.

1. Music system
2. Alloys
3. A few accesories

Now since this thread is for ICE I would rather stick to the audio bit.
I have an amp now and wiring kit and I would get an JBL enclosure subwoofer from India since I cant carry it with me.

Now that you guys have suggested that I should look beyond sony I wil check up other brands like alpine/blau/pioneer/jvc. If you guys have some models in ur mind let me know pls.

Coming to components - the bolero has slot for 4 inch speakers in the front and 6 inches at the back. I need some suggestions here. I get confused with 6 inches speaker and 6 x 9s/6s. Are they the same or diff. Sorry being silly here but it will be great if someone explained this.
I am getting some good deals here on jbl components. There is this offer on JBL GTO6427 6x4 4x6 speakers. GT grand touring series for 15 pounds. (1200 rs roughly). Guys do you think the standard speakers in bolero have enough juice or do they need replacement as well with a powerful subwoofer in the back. Will the standard fits affect the sound stage? Some help in this direction will be welcome.

keep this thread alive ppl. i am loving your posts.

cheers!

Most Viewed