Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 09:58   #1
TOR
BHPian

Swift Dzire ICE

Guys what can be done to the Dzire's SQ for a budget of 6K?

Pre-requisites:

1)Dont want the HU changed as i dont want to change the integrated OE audio look.

2)the rear speakers are 6" i guess and want to keep it the same size as i dont want to cut the tray(as yet).

I know that this is not the ideal way to go about the install but this is only for an interim basis(maybe a year and half-time to save adequate Vitamin M!) after which i am planning to go for something pretty significant.

So basically i guess its just some speaker upgrade-or can something else be done? Please mention the model numbers if possible and the approximate prices.

Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 10:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

not much, judging by your constraints. I suppose you could upgrade the front comps for ~5k
Old 29th September 2008, 12:00   #3
BHPian

A few options for your budget,

1. Go for 4 channel Amp
2. Go for Front comps
3. Go for 2 channel amp and front comps (may need to stretch your budget a bit)

Amp would add the power & thunk.
Comp would improve the quality.

From long term perspective Option1 or Option2 are better.
For short term enjoyment Option3 is ideal since you can enjoy both.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

A very rational thought, @autocop, though if he adds an amp he may have to get either a speaker-level converter or an amp that takes speaker-level inputs, if his stock HU does not have Pre-outs.

It is unclear what hardware @TOR has in his DZire right now - he has mentioned 'rear speakers are 6"', but nothing about front hardware.

If he already has stock 6.5" speakers in the front doors (coax, likely) then amp is the way to go - it will somewhat improve the output of the stock speakers. Once he has fortified his Vitamin M state, he could go in for decent components - and they will substantially improve the audio in front.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

forget the amp for now and lose the OE speakers, ASAP. I think those nippon stuff should sound positively anemic, amped or otherwise
Old 29th September 2008, 16:50   #6
TOR
BHPian

@DerAlte - the audio system in the Dzire is completely stock-Nippon HU with 6" speakers in the front doors and 6" speakers in the rear tray.

Now here is something that i am not sure about-is the front speakers 6" or 6.5"(they are shared by the swift and sx4-ie OE)? Now am planning the upgrade as DIY so if the enclosure is for 6" will mounting a 6.5" be a problem(with a MDF ring).

@Autocop- thank you for listing the options-with my malnourished budget i dont think i will get a good amp and speakers-yes i plan to throw away the OE speakers as they are really poor-the magnets on them are as small as the ones i used to play with when i was a kid!!(though this being related to the SQ-am not sure-ie magnet size and SQ).

@greenhorn-am also thinking along your line of thought, the question is should i buy a good component for the front for my full budget or get a average co-axial in the front(6/6.5") and also the rear(6/6.5")-i am a 'front sound stage' kind of person.

Also is the technical specs of the HU(i guess its the same in the Swift/dzire/SX4) availble online.
Old 29th September 2008, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

@TOR, like greenhorn said, the best option is to get components for the front. 5K will get you a pair of JBL GT-5 6.5" comps. They will fit in the front doors (I saw one set being fitted the other day).

I really wouldn't recommend an amp without your spending a bit of money to damp the front doors. Not unless you listen to music at low volumes. And in any case, buy an amp only after you upgrade the front speakers.

In any case, the biggest roadblock towards SQ here is the HU. That HU has to go, if you need any improvement once you upgrade the speakers. If you don't plan to upgrade the HU, I don't think investing in an amp will be of much use.
hydrashok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 19:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
@greenhorn-am also thinking along your line of thought, the question is should i buy a good component for the front for my full budget or get a average co-axial in the front(6/6.5") and also the rear(6/6.5")-i am a 'front sound stage' kind of person.

Also is the technical specs of the HU(i guess its the same in the Swift/dzire/SX4) availble online.
i think the OE size of swift is 6", neither 5.25 or 6.5, so MDF spacers will be needed anyway ( and you'll have to throw out the stock plastic spacers.) This might make it a bit out of scope for DIY

as long as you are a front soundstage kinda person, stick to the comps. 6" coax in the rear wouldnt help matters a lot compared to the stock. only 6x9's would have been a big improvement by adding some bass to the fronts.

Depending on the kind of music you like , get Jbl/illusion/bull comps. JBL is avilable locally, for the other 2 you can get hold of from t-bhpians.

What kind of music DO you like ?
@ hydra, losing the HU would push up his budget a lot, You've been through it right, the dash replacement kit etc, and he plans to DIY, so it might be a bit too much...

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th September 2008 at 19:17.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:30   #9
TOR
BHPian

Well i listen to soft rock/instrumental/alternative-not much of hip-hop/rap/metal.

So what should i go for-front components-JBL-608C?

@greenhorn as you are also from TVM-can you direct me to a good install place.

Also i want the crossover hidden(dont prefer it in the door-then were?)-also what wiring to use?
Old 29th September 2008, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Then i suppose JBL's will do fine. I wonder if the newer series is available in tvm.

Regarding good installers in Tvm, I wonder if there are any.I dont think any of them know how to install comps properly.And jusdging by your Dzire ownership thread, it seems you know more of tvm than i do, seriously.

I got my install done from a shop at bakery jn that was recommended to me by a colleague because it was run by a relative and i was promised some sort of discount and/or special treatment. My own experience with them so far has been lacklustre.My own car's ICE install went ok only since i was with them the whole time , and held up their work at various points when they tried to cut corners ( install the HU without a wiring harness, use half inch thick wood for the rear tray etc)
some of my experiences here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...aller-tvm.html
From what i know , the best option for ICEing in kerala is emperor in ekm, but then again, with a budget like yours, i wonder if they'll even let you inside . But they know their trade, even my ICE was configured with their inputs and installed here

as long as you're sticking to the stock HU, then the stock wires should do fine.

I suppose you could install the crossover somewhere under the dash.

Just make sure that the installer you choose is receptive to your ideas ( assuming you are confident that you have the right ideas), and not one of those know-it-alls.

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th September 2008 at 22:49.
Old 29th September 2008, 23:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

TOR - Just a request to you, please do not use bold to highlight words in every post of yours, it looks very irritating & puts the reader off. The members are helping you anyway & highlighting parts of virtually every sentence in every post is not really required. Plus, doing so only diminishes the value of such a tool. Thanks.
Old 29th September 2008, 23:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

The stock HU is by Nippon and it has a single RC out, this should solve a lot of your problems, only thing you have to work out is the remote connection which has to be taken through Ignition and maybe with a Switch if you prefer that.
Old 30th September 2008, 00:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Well i listen to soft rock/instrumental/alternative-not much of hip-hop/rap/metal.

So what should i go for-front components-JBL-608C?

@greenhorn as you are also from TVM-can you direct me to a good install place.

Also i want the crossover hidden(dont prefer it in the door-then were?)-also what wiring to use?
TOR- You can place the Crossovers just behind the HU on the Blower Cover, this way you have easy access to the stock speaker wires from the adapter which can be used to connect to Mid Woofers placed at stock location, and then from cross overs you can have the Tweeters which can be placed any where in the Dash (next to A-Pillar or on the mirror pods), If you are placing them anywhere in the door, then you need to route cables accordingly.

I recently got installed the speakers in this way. And I think you can use the the wires provided by JBL along with GTO608c should be fine enough to connect the Tweeters.

If you want to install them in Door then you can face something like this which happened to me for my GTO 607c Crossovers, Got Rusted.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...d-what-do.html
Old 30th September 2008, 05:51   #14
TOR
BHPian

@greenhorn - thanks for the link, will be on the look out for that 'receptive installer'.

@iraghava-point noted-will do!

@blueraven316-could you explain a bit more please, i lost you after the single RC out.

@vrrraju-thanks for the link, so the crossover placing is done, read somewhere that the tweeter should be within 30cm of the mid bass is that true?
Old 30th September 2008, 07:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ TOR, what i think blueraven meant is that usually all amps need a 12V DC trigger which is usually sent by the HU. if the OE HU doesnt have it , he was saying you could get the 12V turn on signal from the ignition , or maybe through a switch if you needed more control

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks