Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 14:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car pc for Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Where in the center console are you planning to mount the 7" screen? AFAIK, unless one does very drastic modifications (not worth it IMHO), there is no space to recover for the screen. Even if you remove the HU.

Atom, especially the dual core ones, are sufficient as a carputer. The 160W PSU is sufficient for the Atom boards (which one are you planning to buy?). You shouldn't be worried about short circuits and use a wooden cabinet. A wooden cabinet will actually help temperature rise inside the cabinet. If you are really worried about short circuits, use a stiff plastic sheet (like they use in plastic file folders) to insulate the PCB from the cabinet.

The best place to mount the carputer is below the passenger seat - enough clearance. The advantage is shorter cable lengths to the screen and amp.
The monitor will be mounted like nc1bad has mounted. (top of dash) I just need to add the USB ports in place of dummy buttons. The HU will be kept in use as AUX IN.

Actually the wooden cabinet is not enclosed from all the sides, it is hardly of the size of a normal PC scanner. And will be covered on the top with a plastic (transparent) sheet with one 120mm fan. BTW, the newer Atom as I searched on ebay costs 7K. And there is another one is of 3500 Rs. approx. Below are the 2 links:

1) GIGABYTE GA-D425TUD INTEL ATOM DDR3 RAM SLOT 3Yrs Warr | eBay

2) Intel Atom Dual-Core D525/Intel NM10/DDR3/A&V&GbE/Mini-ITX Motherboard, Retail | eBay

Which one will be better for running Windows 7, music and movies?

As far as PSU is concerned I am buying a 160W one from Minibox. Do you recommend a better one? I tried contacting iRide but they are not picking phones and neither responding to any mails.

The cable lengths are what I am looking at becuz I will have to buy a Active USB cable if I mount the PC behind the 3rd row side facing seats. Also, I will have to run a extended VGA cable (which one should be used?).

One more question if I buy a VGA Monitor from outside India will I have to pay customs? I am asking this because I have heard many cases where the customs were not paid (the custom guys did'nt ask for one), and the reason given was that the custom guys usually don't charge duty for computer parts? How true is this and If I have to pay customs what are the rates?

Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 26th December 2011 at 14:52.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The monitor will be mounted like nc1bad has mounted. ...
Aha! I didn't use that location since it was too conspicuous! I have it mounted on a Pyle 24" gooseneck mount, so it appears to the left of the center console, at the a/c controls level. I look at the screen only if need to operate the touchscreen, and that is not often. Even for navigation, I rely on the voice guidance.

The gooseneck itself is mounted on the front right mounting bolt of the passenger seat. This way, I didn't need to take down the center console. The wires/cables run down the side of the gooseneck to the CarPC.

IMHO the Intel board with Atom 525 will perform better.

If you mount the CarPC below the front seat, you will most probably not need long cable lengths. I didn't want to mount the CarPC in the boot because of the hyperactive kids who are in that space most of the times!

VGA monitor: If you use eBay Global Buy with Paisapay, the rate quoted to you will be CIF door-delivery, i.e. inclusive of Customs and transport charges to your location. Customs do charge duty, but it is not much (it is either 4% or 12% for private purchase of such items, not sure). In Paisapay, the vendor gets paid only after you receive the item - you need to logon and certify you have received it.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aha! I didn't use that location since it was too conspicuous! I have it mounted on a Pyle 24" gooseneck mount,......
Thanks for the PM. You also own a Safari? How have you mounted via front passenger seat? That means that the base is at the floor, but that restricts the height of Monitor Is'nt it too low for 3rd row passengers to view? Normally when I travel the car is loaded with 7 persons.

For the same reason of hyper active kids () I cannot put it below the seat as they often spill liquids and If that gets into PC! Same situation, different implementation.

The cheapest monitor I have found is of 11,500 INR at ebay globaleasybuy, I was unaware of the paisapay system, thanks for the information. Besides I have also mailed to a a Pune based company listed as below:

Car / Bus TFT LCD monitor with Touch - VGA TFT 7" LED LCD monitor with touch, Car / Bus TFT LCD monitor with Touch Exporter, VGA TFT 7" LED LCD monitor with touch Retailer

Could you post the specifications of your car pc and some snaps if possible? What precautions or mistakes I should'nt do that you already did?

Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 26th December 2011 at 15:59.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:19   #94
BHPian

@Mercidised , did u check Car PC Systems in Mumbai, India | Vehicle Infotainment Solutions | iRide Technologies
Old 26th December 2011, 16:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Yeah! As I said before I have mailed them a couple of times and a third time today. I am waiting for their reply, the only reason preventing me from ordering from their website as if the product fails who will provide support if they don't reply to mails!
Old 26th December 2011, 17:35   #96
BHPian

I think almost all the screens are like this and if it fails need to replace. These are basically from Lilliput , a chinese brand.
There are costlier ones from Xenarc etc.
Since the rupee is low global easy buy will be slightly expensive.
Old 26th December 2011, 21:49   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ate purchase of such items, not sure). In Paisapay, the vendor gets paid only after you receive the item - you need to logon and certify you have received it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I think almost all the screens are like this and if it fails need to replace. These are basically from Lilliput , a chinese brand.
There are costlier ones from Xenarc etc.
Since the rupee is low global easy buy will be slightly expensive.
Am too much confused! I don't have much money to put on this project so want to take every decision as close to perfect. I have a limited budget of 15K Maximum. (my pocket fully blown and stretched out!)

BTW, I have ordered a Intel Atom Combo with 4GB DDr3 RAM for 3500 at flipkart.

Another thought comes in my mind how about using a LCD\TFT TV AV-in only (as these are cheap to buy generally starting is from 3500 INR) and then use a VGA to RCA converter box? Will it work?
Old 27th December 2011, 10:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Another thought comes in my mind how about using a LCD\TFT TV AV-in only (as these are cheap to buy generally starting is from 3500 INR) and then use a VGA to RCA converter box? Will it work?
In that case you might need to add a usb touch sensor to pass on the inputs to computer. Also I'm not sure how will you power the LCD panel.
IMO, a proper touch screen would be better.
Old 27th December 2011, 10:54   #99
Senior - BHPian

Not worth the hassle, @mercedised, buying an analog monitor and then adding a USB touch panel. Of course, touch panels are available separately (almost all are China made - check on Alibaba), and you need to integrate them. Not sure if ana monitor + touch panel together will give you a cost benefit.

7" analog monitors, usually used for VCR/DVD duty in the car, come with a 12V input power supply that plugs into a lighter socket, or can be connected to 12V directly.
Old 24th November 2012, 12:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
sorry for the delay, was kinda tied up with work
Sorry for the double queries, how is your PC running? Could you post some pictures of wire routing from back of the car to front? I am just now building the case for my car pc with acrylic sheets. Would love to get some inputs from you.

Did you get a powered USB HUB?
Old 24th November 2012, 13:10   #101
BHPian

Hey , PC is absolutely fine, works like a charm. Wires are routed under the carpeting, and dont have any pics as it was quite sometime back. Yep Active USB is required to use USB at 5+ meter lengths.

Quote:
Sorry for the double queries, how is your PC running? Could you post some pictures of wire routing from back of the car to front? I am just now building the case for my car pc with acrylic sheets. Would love to get some inputs from you.

Did you get a powered USB HUB?
nc1bad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 13:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey , PC is absolutely fine, works like a charm. Wires are routed under the carpeting, and dont have any pics as it was quite sometime back. Yep Active USB is required to use USB at 5+ meter lengths.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have too bought a 3.0L DICOR. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...5-000-kms.html

Was the carpet removed or just a cut was made? Also I will be mounting the screen just as you have, so will it also require cutting a part of the center console for wire routing?
Active USB cable or Active HUB what's your choice?
Old 24th November 2012, 14:16   #103
BHPian

Door scuff molding at the bottom, remove it and carpet will lift up enough to run the cables through. Carpet is not stuck so you can easily slide the cables underneath it.

Yea dashboard may require a small hole for the cables to go through.

I used a active USB cable because i require it only to run the pen drive. USB keyboard and touch screen interface works at 5+ meters without the active cable/hub. Remember active USB works at v1.1 USB speeds, so its better to use only essential devices on it.

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have too bought a 3.0L DICOR. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...5-000-kms.html

Was the carpet removed or just a cut was made? Also I will be mounting the screen just as you have, so will it also require cutting a part of the center console for wire routing?
Active USB cable or Active HUB what's your choice?
nc1bad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 14:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I have modified the active USB hub as of now to work with the 5V o/p of the PSU. The position of your CPU at the back is it screwed separately onto the plastic cladding? or on the seat bolts? Also, how should Iopen the rear carpet?
Old 28th November 2012, 20:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used a active USB cable because i require it only to run the pen drive. USB keyboard and touch screen interface works at 5+ meters without the active cable/hub. Remember active USB works at v1.1 USB speeds, so its better to use only essential devices on it.
Sorry for back to back query, but could you post the schematic of the IR receiver. Also, from where did you get the stereo remote definition file for working it with pc? Thanks again.

P.S: An update on my PC status, the cabinet took along time to get fabricate. I used acrylic sheets. The cabinet is ready and all the components have been fitted and tested. I have installed Win XP and Centrafuse (Please advise which version?). As for now I have to just fit the PC in the car with wire routing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks