Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 03:19   #1
BHPian

Choosing an amp for IDQ12V2 + worthy HU

My brother is flying down from the US next month, and I just noticed that woofersetc.com is selling the IDQ12V2 sub for $150 which is a bargain (even though its the old version and wont be under warranty here in India). So I wont miss this opportunity.

Now I request your suggestions as to what would be a good mono-amplifier to power this subwoofer. The IDQ12V2 is rated at 350W RMS so I'm guessing a 500W amp would do justice. Now I dont want an amplifier that's so expensive that it will force me to sell my car, but at the same time I want an amplifier that is good enough to bring out the musicality of the IDQ. So please give me your suggestions and/or experiences with this sub.

Secondly, since its such a great deal I might just get two of these subs. In that case, what would be an appropriate amplifier to power 2 IDQ12V2 subs? Once again, I want them to sing, but not force me to sell my kidneys in order to buy the amp.

Finally, I will also be upgrading my HU. Currently I'm considering the Pioneer FH-P8000BT, mainly because its 2-DIN (as is the slot in my dashboard), has inbuilt bluetooth and iPod functionality, and is relatively cheap ($270 on woofersetc.com, $330 from Pioneer). But would the relative lack of quality make this a bad idea given that I want to incorporate the IDQ plus a decent monoblock? Instead, should I get a better HU (Eclipse CD7200 or Pioneer P880 or Alpine 9887) and deal with having a hole in my dashboard (which is really going to irritate me!)?

So, to summarize, I am seeking your suggestions regarding the following:

1.) Appropriate mono amplifier to power a single IDQ12V2 subwoofer
2.) Appropriate mono amplifier to power two IDQ12V2 subwoofers
3.) Appropriate Head Unit for the same setup.

Background info: Currently I'm running JBL 6.5" components in the front doors running off a 2-channel Sony amplifier. These will be upgraded a few months down the line, starting with the Sony amp. I dont want any rear fill.
Old 9th October 2008, 07:02   #2
BANNED

Excellent choice of Subs. Good deal too.
Don't worry of it being a generation old etc.. they rock!

I would suggest you to go for the Eclipse 7200 if you want amazing sound. That HU is currently one of the best. Then comes 9887, then an Alpine IVA 500 (Dual din, dvd). If you don't want any of the above, then the Pioneer 8000BT.

See if you can get an Alpine 500 mono block amp (old stock). Good one, I like it's sound. Will be good for a single sub setup.

For a dual sub setup, you've to sell your both kidneys or atleast one. Look somewhere around 30k - 40k range for a decent one. JBL 12001, Alpine 1005/PDX, Audison LRX 4.1, Steg K etc..
Old 9th October 2008, 07:30   #3
BHPian

If you don't wanna spend big bucks, I suggest you stick to a single woofer, as amplification will be expensive.(I am guessing your car is a hatchback. (swift?)). and one sub will be enough.

If going for a single woofer then the JL Audio 500/1 v2 is a good idea. JL Audio 500/1v2 - JL Audio 500 Watt Mono Amplifier

for 2 woofers i would take a jl audio 1000/v2 JL Audio 1000/1v2 - JL Audio 1000 Watt Mono Amplifier

Pioneer makes good H.U's which are VFM, but if you are more S.Q oriented get your self an alpine 9887 or even an eclipse cd7200 Eclipse CD7200 mkII - Eclipse In-dash CD receiver which comes with built in BT i think.

Do not forget to get a good amp kit for the amplifers.Get kicker. I have got a kit from u.s and Anwar the installer from Bangalore said, the quality was great.

here are the links. For the mono you will need a 2 channel amp kit

Kicker CK4 2-Channel Amp Kit 05CK4 Car Wire Harness CK 4 gauge gage gouge Audio/Stereo

Also buy a 4 channel amp kit as you are ready to change the sony amp and go for a new 4 channel amp

Kicker CK44 4-Channel Amp Kit 05CK44 Car Wire Harness CK 44 gauge gage gouge Audio/Stereo

If your bro can carry more weight, better to buy some damping also.

Dynamat 10455 - Dynamat Xtreme Bulk Pak 36 Sq Ft

Good luck.

EDIT: I think the amp zak is talking about is the alpine mrd- m605. I have one and its great for the money. Very powerful for a single sub. Alpine MRD-M605 V12 Digital Mono Amplifier. Best Buy on Sale: Alpine MRDM605 - Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications

I strongly suggest your brother call the concerned online shop, before buying anything from them, as many times the products are not in stock and they do not ship immediately. They also insist on an U.S credit card with both the shipping and billing address as the same.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 9th October 2008 at 07:40. Reason: adding
Old 9th October 2008, 07:46   #4
BANNED

Not the MRD M 605!
What I'm suggesting is one generation older. 501! I just can't get the correct model number off my head. I can't google that easily from my phone either. :lazy:

Last edited by speedzak : 9th October 2008 at 07:47.
Old 9th October 2008, 07:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
EDIT: I think the amp zak is talking about is the alpine mrd- m605. I have one and its great for the money. Very powerful for a single sub. Alpine MRD-M605 V12 Digital Mono Amplifier. Best Buy on Sale: Alpine MRDM605 - Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications
Even though a good amp, I suggest you not go for this alpine, the reason being they are old amps and production has stopped, so you might get a refurbished one.
Old 9th October 2008, 08:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Zak, the Alpine 501/1001 were awesome monos and Alpine hasn't made amps like those since. If you can find one of these, don't think about it, just buy.
Old 9th October 2008, 08:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you have a hatch, I would recommend not to go for 2 subs considering the amplification requirements.

As you do not want a rear fill and plan to replace your 2 channel later, go can aswell go for a very good 4 channel now. Bridge two channels to run the sub and use other channels for the front components. This will help to reduce wiring and a 4 channel is a better investment than 2 channels, gives more flexibilty and ease of upgrading.

Nice selection of sub. I am using the same with Alpine 9887 and Eclipse mono, very happy with the outcome. If you want SQ look at either Eclipse or Alpine HU.

You might get a good deal on Eclipse mono as it is an old model.

ECLIPSE Amplifier XA1000 | Fujitsu Ten

Last edited by PatienceWins : 9th October 2008 at 08:47.
Old 9th October 2008, 12:04   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I'm leaning towards the Eclipse CD7200 mkII, as the Pioneer FH-P8000BT probably will not do justice to an IDQ sub.

I think I'll finalize on a single sub setup as that should enable me to stay within a reasonable budget.

For the amp, I looked at a few options, so please give me your comments on the same:

Audison LRx 1.400 $340
RMS Output 1 x 350 Watts @ 4 Ohms
RMS Output 1 x 650 Watts @ 2 Ohms
RMS Output 1 x 900 Watts @ 1 Ohm

Audison SRx 4 $250
4 x 60 Watt at 4-ohms
4 x 85 Watt at 2-ohms
2 x 60 + 1 x 190 Watt at 4-ohms
2 x 85 + 1 x 170 Watt at 2/4 ohms
2 x 170 Watt at 4-ohms

Eclipse XA1000 $150
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 320W x 1
RMS Power @*2 Ohms: 480W x 1
Max Power @ 2 Ohms: 640W X 1

Eclipse XA1200 $340
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

JL Audio 500/1v2 $400
Rated Power: 500 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm (11V-14.5V)

I'm tempted to go with the Eclipse XA1000 because its (i) cheap and (ii) same brand as the HU. But would it be powerful enough, considering the sub is rated at 350W RMS? And is it a sufficiently musical amp?

The Audison SRx 4 also is a steal, considering it could power my fronts AND the sub. But I guess 190W would be insufficient for the IDQ12.

I think the Audison LRx 1.400 would be nice, and the JL500 even better, but then they cost more too. This is a very tough choice!

Not many results for the Alpine 501 or 1001 monoblocks online. I'm hesitant to buy a second hand amp unless I know exactly why its being sold.

Gunbir, thanks for your advice. I would have really liked to have gotten this setup from you, but unfortunately customs duties are so high that one has to resort to sneaking things in from another country. I very much appreciate having your inputs.

PatienceWins, could you please provide some feedback regarding your setup, as I believe you're running an IDQ12V2 with an Eclipse XA1000? Can it be played loud without sounding strained?

Thanks Hemanth for the suggestions regarding wiring and damping. I will make sure that I dont skimp on these things. I currently have a Boss wiring kit in my car because I really had no idea 2 years ago when i got the install done. Its terrible!
Old 9th October 2008, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

don't you have to pay duty when your brother brings the stuff to india
Old 9th October 2008, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Classifieds - 2 Nos. IDQ12 D2V2 Subs - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Since you have been there I think you might get a better deal if you try PMing Harsh.

Also if you get the subs you might end up giving shipping for the same due to heavy weight.
Old 9th October 2008, 15:08   #11
BHPian

@theEnd IMHO the xa1000 will be a great buy for you as will the srx4 good value for money with great output. i'm a bit skeptical about the hu i love the 9887 and the eclipse is absolutely fab but then i'm wondering about the service aspect. it is one of the best hu manufacturers around. but ultimately its your call
Old 10th October 2008, 02:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Gunbir, thanks for your advice. I would have really liked to have gotten this setup from you, but unfortunately customs duties are so high that one has to resort to sneaking things in from another country. I very much appreciate having your inputs.
No issues man, with the Dollar headed the way it is, who can blame you? My suggestions for a mono (to get from the USA) would be:

- Infinity Reference 1211A
- Kenwood Excelon KAC-X1R

Let me know if you need any help with the sub.

Cheers!
Old 10th October 2008, 06:42   #13
BANNED

1 sub will be easy with the customs. They won't make a big fuss about it if somebody is bringing it with him.

One of the best musical subs in the world, the IDQ is something simply outstanding. I think the Tru amps will be amazing to hook this sub. Check online prices for some good deal where Kidney will not be cheaper.
Old 10th October 2008, 16:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am also looking at getting a Monoblock amp from the US in a couple of months for the following setup for my Cedia.

Kenwood BT7539U
JBL Power Series Comps (front)
Stock speakers (back) (not used)
Polk Audio db series 10" sub in a sealed box in the boot (270W RMS, 540W Peak)
Infinity ref 475a 4 channel amp (powering front comps + sub)

I plan to get the monoblock and then add another Polk 10" sub in the boot.

My budget for the monoblock is around 300-350$ though probably i can push it a little bit more if i get some really good amp for that money. Sathya suggested that i should go in for either a JL Audio A1400 or Rockford Fosgate Power series amps.

Do the guru's have any more suggestions ? I was also looking at Kicket ZX750 amp and MTX Xthunder 600 amp which come in my price range. How are those compared to the JL/RF ? I might also get a Audion Lrx 1.400 / Audison SRX2S in my budget. How are those ?

Thanks for the advice
Old 12th October 2008, 17:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

If looking for mono amps look no further then JL Audio mono amps. Deffinately gives more output then rated and clean bass. If you can get one go for it will tell you, you wont ever regreat. My couz had them driving a digital audio sub few years back and they still rock. If you search for their review on net you will find some great write up. Some of their series also has stabble output irrespective of the volts.

Another value for money amps are from profile. You will also find them selling at crutchfield and they are doing it siNce years and highly reccomended by them.

Alphasonic on woofersetc are also great option. I would suggest do some research on them and you'l know what am talking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks