Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 19:54   #1
BHPian

Grinning from ear to ear

Hey guys,

Got my new Palio 1.6 delivered on the 11th of this month.
Headed straight to the installer the next day and man is it worth the money.

The Gear:
Pioneer 6090
Blaupunkt Velocity Vc542 Components up front
Blaupunkt Velocity components at the rear (forget the model)
JBL 60.4 amp to drive the front and rear components
JBL 300.1 amp for the Sub
JBL 1204xx SUB with the enclosure (dont remember the entire model number)
3x Scoche RCA
Scoche Wiring kit

The Install:
Arrived at the installer as soon as his shutter went up (Bafna Auto). I had spoken to him about the stuff I wanted so he had most of the gear ready.

The install was under way immediately and a very clean job done. the power cables were given a seperate covering (whatever its called) from the battery to the amps. The RCA and speaker cabling was put together well and was installed such that the wires are not visible at any place in the car. Just the wiring took from 10.30 am to 5.00 pm. then just plugging the wires together took another hour or so. The goys asked me to just use the system as it is for a day to get a feel of the system. He was going to tune it the next day.

Left the place a happy camper. Initially, the tweeters were too bright for my likingd the mids were lost among the bass.

So the first thing on my list the next day was to get the tuning done. The Bafna guys had some Blaupunkt DEMO CD which they used to tune the system. A job well done in the end. Now, it all sound just so sweet.

A completely satisfied customer if you ask me.

P.S.: when i crank it up, the headlamps tend to dim out when the bass hits hard. just wondering if i need to make any changes with regards to the power cabling or add something else to maybe sort this out. any help would be much appreciated.

cheers:
Kiran.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:06   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
PICTURES!!!
sorry, was not carrying my camera so could not get any pictures of the install. will try and get pics of the stuff as it is right now.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th October 2008 at 22:11. Reason: Quoted post has been removed.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:07   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your setup!!
The dimming issue may be because of one of the following-
1.The gauge of the power cable isnt enough.Recomended is 8awg for mono and 8awg for 4 channel.
2.If the cable is distributed make sure a distributor block is used and not distributed by a joint. Make sure that if there is a distributor block used the cable running from the battery to the distributor block is of a thicker gauge then the ones from distributor block to the amps.(i.e if you are using a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the distributor block then the cables from the distributor block should be 8awg.)
3.If you are using two cables make sure both of them are connected to diff fuse boxes and not just attached to one.
4.If all the cables and stuff are fine then your best option would be to use a capacitor-[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]of 1F in parallel to the amplifier.
P.S-I am no guru and I may be wrong. just given my suggestions.The gurus here will be able to help you better.

Enjoy.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats! kiran.

post the pics pics.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

EFX 400 ie. 6.5 mm.sq should be enough for one amp.
For both the amps, you would require 10-12mm.sq with a distribution block splitting the power.
Old 15th October 2008, 02:28   #6
BHPian

i dont know much about this stuf but let me try and summarize what's ben done.

the amps are using the power cables that came in the scoche wiring kit. and as far as the connection goes, the amps are running in series, i.e. the power cable goes from the battery to the four channel amp and from there it is again routed to the mono block. the point where the power cable connects to the 4 channel amp has been connected with 2 cables basically. one from the battery and another to continue the power to the other amp.

please let me know if this is OK or if i need to get the distribution block. also, plz let me know how much the distribution block would cost.

i was also considering getting a capacitor for the setup but was not sure of it till i asked you guys. plz enlighten me
Old 15th October 2008, 10:25   #7
BHPian

Certainly you need a distributor block.get one from scosche itself.Even make sure that the cable from the battery to the distributor block is 4AWG and it splits into 2 8awg for your amps.
This should solve your problem.If it dosent your best option will be to add an capacitor.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
i was also considering getting a capacitor for the setup but was not sure of it till i asked you guys. plz enlighten me
why do you want to add a capacitor?
Old 15th October 2008, 13:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The power for the amplifiers are connected in parallel, not series.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:48   #10
BHPian

@navinji: the capacitor was suggested by a friend of mine who seems to know somthing about this stuff (his brother drives around in the mkraft cars). i wasnt so sure so wanted to know what to do from you guys.

@sam: my mistake. the amps are connected in parallel.

considering the size of the power cables, they are 4awg AFAIK, and they dont split into 8awg but the same 4awg cable is used to reroute the power to the second amp. but i think i have to get the distribution block now or alteast first thing next month (pockets dry as the desert itself).
Old 16th October 2008, 11:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
@navinji: the capacitor was suggested by a friend of mine who seems to know somthing about this stuff (his brother drives around in the mkraft cars). i wasnt so sure so wanted to know what to do from you guys.
if your system is working fine without a cap why add one? The cap is most useful if the dimming of your headlights is disturbing or if you want to see your battery voltage at all times. Your system wont play louder or clearer with a cap.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:19   #12
BHPian

Isn't Dimming of light a normal thing? I suppose the alternator is not desgined for Amplifier and Subwoofer loads. So whatever exceeds the load, will cause in dimming of light momentarily, then the voltage regulator will take care to compensate for the increased load. Gurus please correct me if i am wrong.
Try one thing, put on the lights, press the accelerator of your car so that it reaces sifficient rpm of 2000 or 3000, then switch on the load for Amp and Sub with keeping the rpm high. If there is no dimming of lights then the alternator can handle the load.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:20   #13
BHPian

the dimming of headlights happens no matter what rpm the engine is running at. even if i am on the highway at 3000-4000 rpm in 5th gear, the headlights tend to dim out as in not for a long period of time. but it happens when the sub kicks in and when the beat passes, the lights are back to normal. maybe i can try some song like Bass Test by the Chemical brothers with some constant low freqs. to check if the issue is just momentary or actually coz of something wrong with the wiring/install.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Lucifer you had similar setup in your Marina too, right?
Old 16th October 2008, 18:14   #15
BHPian

I think your best deal would be to add a capacitor as the amp is drawing a lot of power from the battery hence all the electronics in your car are not being powered adequately.This problem is only going to increase as your car gets older and your battery starts getting weaker.So better to add it now only to avoid trouble later.Even dont forget the distributor block(fused) you ll be Happy in the long run.
Happy Listening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks