Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 19:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapi View Post
... I am aware that it might be a problem on a warmer day.
Lack of air circulation can cause hotspots to develop in any weather condition if the surroundings of the electronics is insulating material. And temperature at hotspots tend to suddenly go up exponentially (inexact science but ...) leading to component failure.

One would face less of a problem if the electronics is surrounded on all 6 sides by metal (without air circulation), since there would be heat transmission through the metal.
Old 19th October 2008, 19:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
@stapi: did you buy the display for 298 euros?
Yes, I did, but now I think I overpaid as there is nothing really special about that screen and there is plenty of touchscreens on ebay that you can get for pretty much half of that price.

About the laptop idea I was considering that as well at first and I came across couple of projects like that and like with everything that has its pros and cons.
Personally I wanted system that is designed from start to work in a car and one of the most important things that pushed me towards my build was power supply - one I used is designed to work in a car and has features like control the ON/OFF switch based on ignition status, protection from engine cranks and transient ever-voltage situations, battery monitoring and prevention from deep discharge, amplifier remote signal control. I guess another important thing is that you have much more flexibility with system like that - I'm talking about different hardware configurations but also about how you want to install system in your car. There are some nice cases designed for CarPCs that looks like amplifiers, I also have seen really interesting projects where mini/micro ITX systems have been built into double din head units. And you can always do sth like I did where you can see everything thats in there
Old 20th October 2008, 10:16   #18
Nos007

@stapi

Nice & clean DIY job there enjoy ur setup!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks