Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 10:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

No reason why coaxials cannot be driven by an amp.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I have heard both illusion and kicker and i feel that illusion are far better than kicker

Illusions cost 2990 bucks.
You got to be kidding me, the last i know the comps we priced at Rs. 4990 MRP
Old 24th October 2008, 13:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Comps are for 4990/- but the co-ax are for 2990/-
Old 24th October 2008, 13:07   #19
BANNED

Coax, a better deal.

Quote:
It is better he sticks to coaxials instead of 4" compos if the above is the price.
Money saved can be spent on better wires, damping, amp etc..
Old 24th October 2008, 13:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

LBM: Thanks for clarification

Depends Zak, if budget is a constraint then yes else I would recommend them over a Coax from personal experience
Old 24th October 2008, 14:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends Zak, if budget is a constraint then yes else I would recommend them over a Coax from personal experience
I agree with Zak. Consider this: in the same price, say 5K, the manufacturer has to cater for the cost of tweeter mounting, crossover housing, etc. In a similarly priced coaxial (of course its not a generalization, there are great ones and average ones too) these costs go towards a better midwoofer and tweeter. Add to that the fact that you don't really need the tweeter to be very far from the mid (in dash locations) and the fact that components will require additional work (mounting crossovers, tweets etc) and it will begin to make sense why Zak suggested getting a better coaxial.

Again, compare a nice 5K 4" coaxial with a 5K 4" component and you will really understand what we mean.

Last edited by gunbir : 24th October 2008 at 14:06.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Gunbir I agree to your point as well as Zak's I was just sharing my personal experience. Yes the comps are expensive almost double or more than most of the 4 inch coax available but I found them substantially better(they better be at that price which they are) than the Sony/Pio/JBL 4 inch coax that I have heard. I can ofcourse not comment on those which I havent listened to
Old 24th October 2008, 14:39   #23
BANNED

Quote:
but I found them substantially better than the Sony/Pio/JBL 4 inch coax that I have heard.
You are right in your opinion. Nobody is contradicting your claim, baba.

Keeping the above 3 brands of 4" coaxials in mind, you liked the sound of Illusion 4" compos better. Right? I would recommend you to listen to Illusion 4" coaxials of the same series/price for a better idea.
After listening to a similar scenario, I have come to the conclusion that it's not wise to spend on expensive 4" compos if it's going to be put in a dash location. Almost similar/better results can be achieved with same kind of coaxials which will work out as a better deal and easier to install.

But don't worry, Techno. You've got components and you like the sound na? Enjoy!
Old 24th October 2008, 16:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I agree with Zak. Consider this: in the same price, say 5K, the manufacturer has to cater for the cost of tweeter mounting, crossover housing, etc. In a similarly priced coaxial (of course its not a generalization, there are great ones and average ones too) these costs go towards a better midwoofer and tweeter. Add to that the fact that you don't really need the tweeter to be very far from the mid (in dash locations) and the fact that components will require additional work (mounting crossovers, tweets etc) and it will begin to make sense why Zak suggested getting a better coaxial.

Again, compare a nice 5K 4" coaxial with a 5K 4" component and you will really understand what we mean.
The cost of a tweeter mounting in a component system will be the same, say, as a tweeter post for a coaxial speaker. The crossovers ensure that the component speaker sounds better than the network-less coaxial speaker that one can buy at 5k. But yes, compare and we will really know what it means. Unless one compares with the component system wired in reverse polarity.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

a coax does have a network. its just that they skip the LPF for the mid bass. If you look closely, all coax ( even the el cheapo ones) will have a capacitor connected in series with the tweeter.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right in your opinion. Nobody is contradicting your claim, baba.
I know re, was only clarifying

Quote:
But don't worry, Techno. You've got components and you like the sound na? Enjoy!
Yep thats what matter
Old 24th October 2008, 16:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If you look closely, all coax ( even the el cheapo ones) will have a capacitor connected in series with the tweeter.
Lol. Thanks.

However, please be kind to note that in such an arrangement:

1. Skipping LPF in the midwoofer means that the midwoofer is singing away into regions that it ideally shouldnt.

2. Just a cap on the tweeter means that the crossover frequency is ridiculously high. "El Cheapo coax" will also mostly use a cone tweeter and not an edge driven dome tweeter.

3. No kind of tweeter-midwoofer sensisitivity compensation is possible.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 24th October 2008 at 16:39.
Old 24th October 2008, 17:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Skipping LPF in the midwoofer means that the midwoofer is singing away into regions that it ideally shouldnt.
Ideally (and usually) a LPF has to be used. But with the mid's own HF rollooff due to its own frequency response and dispersion would mean that off axis, the HF content isnt significantly loud

Quote:
2. Just a cap on the tweeter means that the crossover frequency is ridiculously high.
Wont any first order crossover have just a cap?
Quote:
"El Cheapo coax" will also mostly use a cone tweeter and not an edge driven dome tweeter.
the el cheapo coax was just a case in point. I'm sure a pair of similarly priced coax's and components will use equally good tweeters
Quote:
No kind of tweeter-midwoofer sensisitivity compensation is possible.
I thought the sensitivities could be taken care of at the design stage itself

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th October 2008 at 17:06.
Old 24th October 2008, 17:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Ideally (and usually) a LPF has to be used. But with the mid's own HF rollooff due to its own frequency response and dispersion would mean that off axis, the HF content isnt significantly loud
Will too be significantly loud. In the mid band, most midwoofers have a lot of output and also breakups that cannot be controlled running them flat. Roll off is very pronounced only in subwoofer drivers etc. where the voice coil inductance being high results in the in-built HF filtering mechanism.

Quote:
Wont any first order crossover have just a cap?
Yes. And also a coil, if there is a midwoofer section. And a bunch of resistors if tweeter attenuation is on offer.

Quote:
I'm sure a pair of similarly priced coax's and components will use equally good tweeters
They ideally should. But "similarly priced" needs to be defined. Coaxials that cost say upwards of 10k odd will have dome tweeter and even an external crossover network. Cant hold much against these. In the <3k segment, a dome tweeter and a crossover (by crossover I do not mean the inline capacitor) would be hard to find. And at around 5k, which I do regard as a premium price for a 4" coax, there should be atleast some of these goodies.
Old 24th October 2008, 18:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

In a co-ax you have no tuning option. Just plain jane drop it in the stock loaction and enjoy music.

But in a compo you have the freedom of putting tweeters in the foot and mid bass in the stock location(like in wagonR and santro). Also you can set the sensitivity levels and acoustic phase (if present) according to the listening tastes and driver positions.

The co-ax are also prone to damage due to the tweeter pod standing there and no dust cap.

If budget allows I would any day recommend Compo in place of a co-ax.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 24th October 2008 at 18:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks