Team-BHP - alpine 9887 + infinity kappa + jbl amps sounding harsh..please help tuning
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   alpine 9887 + infinity kappa + jbl amps sounding harsh..please help tuning (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/47915-alpine-9887-infinity-kappa-jbl-amps-sounding-harsh-please-help-tuning.html)

Hello ppl,

I need help of you ice gurus to tuneup my audio system.As to what are the good settings to start with for my current setup.

below items are fitted in my palio -

-Alpine 9887 hu +

- jbl 60.2cs (2ch) bridged to power a jbl 1200w sub in company supplied box

- JBL GT5-A604 4-Channel to power 4 infinity kappa components 5.25'' in door.

I see that there are many settings that can be done at many levels including at the amp for crossover etc etc etc and also at that headunit there are too many settings.

If i want to get the best performance in terms of sound quality/clarity, what shuold be the settings at amp (tuning), alpine ( crossover settings ,db levels of sub etc etc )

right now its sounding harsh and loud :(

please give your inputs to tune the system

thx,
vicky

To check anything, you will first need to make sure of the following on the head unit.

Loudness: off
BBE/EQ/ABC/DBX/XYZ/PIP/CRAP: All off
Bass: 0
Treble: 0

Now check the GT5-A604 amplifier. Make sure that the gain level is not higher than 50%. Make sure the bass boost is off.
Make sure that the HPF is ON and the cut off frequency is kept at 80Hz. (this is a healthy approximation) - make sure this is the case for both channels. Also check if the polarity (+ - ) of the wires is connected correctly.

On the bass amplifier also make sure that the gain is not more than 50%. Make sure that the LPF is on and set at about 80Hz.

Now on the component side, the crossover has a +3dB setting. make sure it is not on.

This should surely solve all your problems.

thanks very much sam,i will do this.
hopefully it should sound fine.

Hi Vicky!

Like Sam said it looks like all the settings have been botched up, no need to worry really.

Where was this installed?

Also while trying to tune play an Audio CD, original if possible so that there's no jumping of levels that can happen in MP3's etc.

and remember to get high bitrate mp3's from a good source. I've often diagnosed the problem to be poor bitrate ( 96kbps or lower) mp3's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1026834)
To check anything, you will first need to make sure of the following on the head unit.

BBE/EQ/ABC/DBX/XYZ/PIP/CRAP: All off

Must be some fancy HU that, with so many settings. AFAIK, the Pioneer 7950 I had did not have these.

What is the CRAP setting for?lol:

HI vicky had left a post here yesterday. i guess its still not up. if you need any help with that setup i'd be happy to do so. i don't tune professionally but i know my way mostly around that system. in case you still need it after all the help from sam, greenhorn and souljah.

thanks for the help !!
it much better now.

however , what is/ should be the crossover settings

- the cross settings for amp that drives components ( 32 to 320 )
- the cross over settings for amp that drives the sub

- the crossover settings in the Head unit - (mid , high , low and gain level )

typically with this system you only need to set the crossovers for the head. but typically a 24db rolloff at 80hz onwards for the sub gives it a nice cut off. gain levels are better left untouched to get a flat response. the kappas would be able to handle 40hz upwards safely so a 12db rolloff is good. back if you have 6x9 i suggest you give it to them full but about 2points less on gain. adds good midbass. the amp settings should be similar. that should give you a nice surround field. hope to see your car at this weekend's meet. should be nice.