Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 21:07   #31
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am now planning to move the JBL components and Sony Amp from NHC to my newly booked i10.
So I need a little help to dress up the NHC once again -
1) Amp- I am thinking of going with JBL 1004
2) Components - It's the real confusion - I am in mood to spend max. at Rs. 7-8k
Please suggest me components under 8k with their characteristics. Currently I am
having my eyes on Illusion Electra EL6.1 and GZ T2165.
Help me out in this one. Chiragh_bir just acquired MTX compo for the same budget and waiting eagerly for his review.
Old 7th February 2009, 21:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

@superbhikari why don't u audition some cars in Delhi and then decide ?
Old 7th February 2009, 21:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
@superbhikari why don't u audition some cars in Delhi and then decide ?
Will definitely like to do that but do not know the dealers involved with Illusion and GZ in Delhi. I am far away from Delhi and trips to Delhi are generally time limited, that's another problem.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Will definitely like to do that but do not know the dealers involved with Illusion and GZ in Delhi..
I think I told this in some other thread.. contact low_bass_makker (LBM) for Illusions and GZ in Delhi. He'd be happy to get you auditioned some cars with various brands of ICE..
Old 16th February 2009, 19:17   #35
BHPian

Upgrade Saga !

Hi Friends
I was looking for upgrading the components and the 4 channel Amp. So got in touch with lots of T-bhpians and rammed their inbox with my unending, confused ICE queries. 20k was the budget i fixed for the compo and amp upgrade. Initially was thinking to get the compos under 8k and Amp under 12k.

1) The options for components under 8k were - MTX THS 602, MTX CTC, Illusion Electra, GZ T165, Bull Audio. Talked to a dealer dealing in GZ/Illusion, he guided me to go for Illusions according to my listening taste since GZ Titanium will be brighter than illusion. I want to go for GZ , select the GZ Radioactive series cossting near around 13k.
Then came the MTX part, got in touch with chiragh_bir who just upgraded from illusion to MTX THS components and he said that MTX are far ahead in SQ to illusions. I also got in touch with ramie2400 who was suggesting me to go for MTX CTC rather than THS since they have large size tweeters and better midbass than THS. I can't find any reviews and product info for CTC compo's on net and e-mail my query to PTC (Authorised distributor in India) for the quote of MTX THS & CTC. His reply was shocking, as he said there are lot of fakes being sold in our market. there is no such CTC compo by MTX only MTX THS which retails for 8.8k.
So now the choice was between Illusion, MTX and Bull.

2) AMP story- Initially decided to go for JBL 1004 (grey). But again after interacting with many others, some suggested to go for Kenwood 8404 (it's although low on spec sheet, but is more musical and has better low and mid response), some said JBL 1004 lacks the finese, more inclined towards upper-mids and highs, will add a tinge to the compo sound, etc, etc.

Took a day off t-bhp and relaxed and concentrated on my other work. You know how addictive is t-bhp and especially this ICE section.

Since i was having my exam on Sunday in Delhi, after finishing the paper, went off to lajpat nagar in search of the Kenwood 8401 (got to know it's one left with a dealer out there). But it was off.
Then visited few more dealers in the vicinity trying my luck. Got to a dealer who was insisting me to go for Infinity Kappa Components (17k). I clearly stated him my budget and what i am looking for and after talking to him for while he asked are you a t-bhpian? I must say good observer he must be.
I asked him prices of Kicker amps ( quoted 12k for 350.4 model), Blaupunkt GT4 MKII amp (5.8k), MTX and Focals . Shockingly, he offered me the DLS entry level components just for 8k (With B&W). I was thinking he might be selling fake but he showed me the reciept and warranty card of PTC India. But i asked him if he can arrange an auditon of DLS, Focal components. He did not have any install there for audition, so left for GYRO as time was running fast.

After reaching GYRO, met noida_boy, hellspawn, notorious there. My first in person meet with any t-bhpian so far.

First auditioned the Rainbow SLX DLX in notorious Verna powered with Blaupunkt Velocity Pro amp, sub was iDv3 ported.
Rainbow SLX DLX - Great clarity without any shrill, midbass was good too, going well with the iD sub. But as soon as the notorious changed the AMP (Let notorious reveal!), the sound was too detailed and superb.

Second audition was of Rainbow Kick compo in Swift powered by Kenwood 8401, Sub was Bull ported. Sound was great here too but with more midbass.

Then auditioned the iD CTX compo powered with iD Amp and iD sub in Siena. Fidelity and midbass was too great here, going extremely well with the iD sub. The sound was noticably different from Rainbows. I liked it to my taste.
But back of the there was a perception, this quality may be due to the great amp powering the iD compos.

Now came the decision making stage - I had listen to what extent can a iD go, and hence forgot the illusion, MTX and Bull. So decided for the iD compo for (13.9k) and now the money left for the amp was 6k. Kenwood 8401 not available. Others out of budget. So decided to go for Blaupunkt GT4 MKII (6k), since i may shift it my new i10 afterwards if find it inadequate. noida_boy and hellspawn suggested to bridge the channel for iD components to extract more power.

The installation started by hellspawn and noida_boy, firstly by rectifying the installation glitches left over by Driven during earlier install (Improper Sub wire, Distribution block was added, Amp placement, Wiring concealed, Damping patch up,etc). New spacer rings were added to accomodate iD compo properly. noida_boy & hellspawn themselves installed the compo and placed tweeters to the appropriate position.

Also met Gunbir Ji during the install. Had few words with him, talked him about the Sub and amp. I also cleared my doubts about Kenwood 8404 and JBL 1004. Gunbir Ji, noida_boy and hellspawn listened to the setup after the install and tuned it to the best of my taste.

There was no need to bridge the amp since it was pretty much powering up the iD compos well. Full Value for the money !

Total bill was about 21k (After generous discount by hellspawn & noida_boy).
Not to forget - The t-bhp PM box counts shot upto 70 from 8 during this whole process.

Heard and explored the setup while 3-hr drive back to home and loving the setup thorughly!

Bass tube is playing a bit off right now but can do with it for now. Also got to know by Gunbir Ji, it would be worth to wait for the sub since iD CTX will be available in a couple of months for may be about 8-12k. VFM from iD !

Heartiest thanks to gunbir, noida_boy, hellspawn, abhibh, chiragh_bir, ramie2400, LBM, smokin, frankmehta and all the t-bhpians for bearing and helping me through the whole process.

Installation pics will be here soon.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:30   #36
nitin.dangayach

Man this place should be reserved on for threads with pics. I won't say CONGRATS till you dont post the pics

Kidding man. Good choice. Let us relish the install now. Show us some pics.

Old 16th February 2009, 23:42   #37
BHPian

Pics

Amps - Blaupunkt / Eclipse & JBL Bass Tube
Attached Thumbnails
NHC - JBLified in tune with Pioneer 5050UB to boom with Eclipse XA1000!-100_0007.jpg  

NHC - JBLified in tune with Pioneer 5050UB to boom with Eclipse XA1000!-100_0008.jpg  

NHC - JBLified in tune with Pioneer 5050UB to boom with Eclipse XA1000!-100_0010.jpg  

NHC - JBLified in tune with Pioneer 5050UB to boom with Eclipse XA1000!-100_0002.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 23:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice install there man. Amp budget went to the components hehe. Welcome to ICELand.

I am glad i was able to help ya
Old 17th February 2009, 00:01   #39
BHPian

Congrats SB,An extremely well written and documented post.

Cheer's enjoy your music,Glad to help.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.
@ Gurus , is it ok to have 2 amps so close. Does it not have any effect due to heating. Sorry I am a bit noob
Old 17th February 2009, 03:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

congrats! really enjoyed reading the story.. im sure you are totally satisfied and i like your choice of equipment, except for a bass tube. but then again, we can always up the ante, and maybe get an IdMax or something :-P
teambhp will make sure you actually become what your handle says. super super bhikari, just like me..
Old 17th February 2009, 08:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats.
@ Gurus , is it ok to have 2 amps so close. Does it not have any effect due to heating. Sorry I am a bit noob
The amps are not that close if you look at the pic,There is space between both of them.
Old 17th February 2009, 09:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

But if they were closer , would it make things bad?
Old 17th February 2009, 09:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, superbhikari, on getting good stuff installed! It is good to read about your decision-making process. Enjoy the music!
Old 17th February 2009, 13:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Nice install there man. Amp budget went to the components hehe. Welcome to ICELand.

I am glad i was able to help ya
Thanks ! this was the most suitable option for me to go at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Congrats SB,An extremely well written and documented post.

Cheer's enjoy your music,Glad to help.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
congrats! really enjoyed reading the story.. im sure you are totally satisfied and i like your choice of equipment, except for a bass tube. but then again, we can always up the ante, and maybe get an IdMax or something :-P
teambhp will make sure you actually become what your handle says. super super bhikari, just like me..
Ya, if it's going to be like this, my handle will surely reflect me one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Congrats, superbhikari, on getting good stuff installed! It is good to read about your decision-making process. Enjoy the music!
Thanks ! Will be taking delivery of i10 tomorrow and the ICE bug started to bite again since the JBL components deal seems to be sealed. (T-bhp Marketplace) ! Now thinking which way to go?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks