Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 21:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

ok its all set. all the equipment is coming in.
now one question:
until my equipment flys in, the head unit is powering the ground zero co axials and they are the only speakers on for the time being.
they sound perfectly ok at low volume but as soon as i pump up the volume they sound highly distorted. one thing i noticed is that when hpf is turned on and set above 80, they dont distort but they dont sound as good with hpf turned on.
my assumption is that the 14 odd watts that they are getting from head unit is underpowering them and thus they sound distorted when the volume is pumped up. is it true?
will this distortion go when i power them with an amp or will they distort even more?

EDIT: just called b&t. he says not to pump up the volume too much. will risk frying the voice coils. i was right. the pio 7950hu pumps put a measly chindhi 14W rms. so dont want to try stunts again. thus......... for the next 2 weeks there will not be any complaints from the people living in my building (and i make a devil face and smile as i type!)

Last edited by frankmehta : 24th November 2008 at 22:08.
Old 24th November 2008, 22:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Franky the amp looks good ..congrats on ur buy finally u got some phoren ka maal in budget

thanx ramie. and i personally need to thank you for all the support youve given me.
thanx man!
Old 25th November 2008, 10:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
just finalized the deal with the fella in the classifieds. will pay the money soon and in a week the amp should be here. its got a 7 month warranty on it still and its in spanking condition.
this install will be done by b&t and team in the coming weeks, when my wannabe mono(RF) amp comes in from usa. keep watching this space for details!
Hey, congratulations! After all the hunting, you have suddenly struck double gold.
All the best for the installation.
Old 25th November 2008, 10:22   #49
BHPian

Congrats on the further upgrades Frank.

So how much longer to the 'Frankmehta needs a new Head unit' thread? cheers:
Old 25th November 2008, 10:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Suhail I was just perusing the american websites for head units lol,. but I doubt I really need a new head unit considering that most of the music I play comes off a usb stick. How much can a better head unit resolve from an average 192kbps or even a high quality 320 kbps?? Not much I think. For really good quality we need good lossless music(flacs)... If there is not too much a perceivable difference then why upgrade?? What say?? Correct me if wrong. Just a question. Does my 7950ub play lossless?? I can try after the whole setup comes and is installed. I have quite a few of them..

@nura thanx a million. I was thinkin that I was out a couple of month ago to get a pair of good coaxials for the rear shelf and that alone would be my 'soyndstage' and now suddenly I am out to get the most out of my components and gz sub. What a sea change in perception.. Lol

Thank you team-bhp for making me a poorer man(and my world a better sounding place!)

Last edited by frankmehta : 25th November 2008 at 10:45.
Old 26th November 2008, 18:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Suhail I was just perusing the american websites for head units lol,. but I doubt I really need a new head unit considering that most of the music I play comes off a usb stick. How much can a better head unit resolve from an average 192kbps or even a high quality 320 kbps?? Not much I think. For really good quality we need good lossless music(flacs)... If there is not too much a perceivable difference then why upgrade?? What say?? Correct me if wrong. Just a question. Does my 7950ub play lossless?? I can try after the whole setup comes and is installed. I have quite a few of them..
i don't know about difference in quality based on USB sticks. What little I know about ICE is based on the experience I've had with the setup(s) in my car(s).

Among several other incremental upgrades, I switched my Sony HU for a Alpine. The difference was immideatly perceivable. Not just by me but my all the other Pune bhpians who've heard my car. More importantly my mom noticed it! I use mainly CD's, but the 10 ruppee ones that I burn at max speed. So I think the HU does make a diff. Why don't you patao Ajay to let you audition his HU in your car?
Should convince you either way!

Suhail
Old 26th November 2008, 18:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to audition Ajays equipment and buy all of it too..lol.. But budget constraints are now being enforced by dad who thinks his son is a lunatic. You know how dads are. Don't like too much change.

Just curious, which head unit are you talking about??? Is it the pioneer reference p80rs.. I haven't noticed the hu in his car.. The lanceR??

Last edited by frankmehta : 26th November 2008 at 18:53.
Old 29th November 2008, 21:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

frankmehta's deal for the second hand blaupunkt has fallen through. so frankmehta is in grave trouble.

i have sold my sony amp and hence need a good 4 channel to do duty in its place. the seller of the blau 4 channel gta4 amp from our classifieds has given me the slip. no replies to smses and doesnt pick up calls. i dont think he's interested. so thats sad. or else id have got done in a good budget.
now my question to everyone here:
i am contemplating a 2 channel blaupunkt for the front components as i really dont know how important it is to amplify the rear fills. cos i drive all the time.
in my case its the ground zero oval co axials that beg to be amplified. but i dont see a good deal nowadays. the ones from jbl and blau(brand new) are too overpriced for what they offer and i seriously question the need to amplify the rear fills.
i would love doing so, but the seller of the amp i had set my eyes on has run away! luckily there was no money involved.
ok so back to my dillemma. 2 channel or 4 channel?????
Old 29th November 2008, 22:25   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
frankmehta's deal for the second hand blaupunkt has fallen through. so frankmehta is in grave trouble.

i have sold my sony amp and hence need a good 4 channel to do duty in its place. the seller of the blau 4 channel gta4 amp from our classifieds has given me the slip. no replies to smses and doesnt pick up calls. i dont think he's interested. so thats sad. or else id have got done in a good budget.
now my question to everyone here:
i am contemplating a 2 channel blaupunkt for the front components as i really dont know how important it is to amplify the rear fills. cos i drive all the time.
in my case its the ground zero oval co axials that beg to be amplified. but i dont see a good deal nowadays. the ones from jbl and blau(brand new) are too overpriced for what they offer and i seriously question the need to amplify the rear fills.
i would love doing so, but the seller of the amp i had set my eyes on has run away! luckily there was no money involved.
ok so back to my dillemma. 2 channel or 4 channel?????
Doc,

Put in the Kenwood 8401 - front channel for the compos and rear channel for the coaxes - the amp is neat and does not cost much - max Rs.5k
OR
buy a 2ch amp(cannot advise on this as frankly I have no idea) .

Also , please do not get addicted to ICE.

In September , I had almost gone crazy ,confused with JBL,Pio , Illusion 6.1 and Polk to shortlist which 6.5" coax I must get . I just got the gt5-502 after looking at its specs. - as this size was the best fit for the place in the door that I created.I have no regrets with this decision and am driving this off my 8401 amp.
Old 29th November 2008, 22:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

oh k. so from 3600 i progress to 5000. is it s sure possibility that the 8401 from kenwood will be available? where in mumbai can i get a brand new one?

hey and one more question! does the pio 7950ub play flacs?? the lossless kind? ripped from HD dvds? 850kbps!

Last edited by frankmehta : 29th November 2008 at 22:35.
Old 29th November 2008, 23:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Doc,

Put in the Kenwood 8401 - front channel for the compos and rear channel for the coaxes - the amp is neat and does not cost much - max Rs.5k
OR
buy a 2ch amp(cannot advise on this as frankly I have no idea) .

Also , please do not get addicted to ICE.

In September , I had almost gone crazy ,confused with JBL,Pio , Illusion 6.1 and Polk to shortlist which 6.5" coax I must get . I just got the gt5-502 after looking at its specs. - as this size was the best fit for the place in the door that I created.I have no regrets with this decision and am driving this off my 8401 amp.

thanx som!
still waiting for that blaupunkt fella to give me atleast a call back saying no/yes.

Last edited by v12 : 30th November 2008 at 11:47. Reason: No personal attacks allowed on Team-BHP.
Old 30th November 2008, 00:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanx som!
still waiting for that blaupunkt fella to give me atleast a call back saying no/yes.

your are behind it forthe past 1 moth if u want the amp deposite the money in my a/c plus shipping and give me your address will ship you

and as i told u my cousin is coming to bombay he's not.

Last edited by v12 : 30th November 2008 at 12:12. Reason: No personal attacks allowed on Team-BHP.
Old 30th November 2008, 01:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

karankapoor addressed over PM. sorry for the gets sense part buddy, but one phone call returned out of 10 may have put all the doubts to rest.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

lets end it here. addressed this matter over PM. mods please delete the unnecessary posts.. thanx!

Last edited by frankmehta : 30th November 2008 at 10:15.
Old 30th November 2008, 11:51   #60
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Alls well that ends well Thanks Frank and Karan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks