Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 21:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

FM Modulators are useless in cities where most of the frequencies are occupied by some channel big or small. So the interference is very high leading to bad quality.

It works good on long drives, in between cities and remote areas.

always prefer to buy the device which can set any frequency instead of fix frequency. And select even frequencies like 88.0 or 90.4 as most of the channels uses odd frequencies.
Old 24th November 2008, 23:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Deky, what HU are you using? And is there any amp connected to the HU?
Because I have a feeling that this transmitter might work well with HU's not running on an amp.
Since the amp will also amplify the distortion and whining.
Yeah you right, there is no amp with the HU. Its the integrated stock HU which comed with the Aveo.

Quote:
always prefer to buy the device which can set any frequency instead of fix frequency. And select even frequencies like 88.0 or 90.4 as most of the channels uses odd frequencies
This one has 15 various frequencies that you can set

Last edited by deky : 24th November 2008 at 23:10.
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:38   #18
BHPian

last night i went to an electronics parts store, i was buying buying a couple of relays and switches, then i saw the same transmitter, I got it for 350 bucks! quiet a steal But the funny thing is that it actually works!
The shop also had some car CD/DVD players they were dirt cheap! 2800 for a car dvd player(single din) but it was some crappy brand! never heard of it, i guess it was Chinese or Taiwanese
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

i have exactly the same and I really dont need it :-P pm me if anyone wants it
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:46   #20
BHPian

I too got it from Ebay at Rs. 350. Very first day before installation itself, kid dropped it and the whole thing came apart. Luckily I managed to assemble it back and am using it. Is working quite well with no issues as reported in the thread. Only issue is that my kids are waiting to rip it apart because I am using it to enjoy old songs while they want to tune into the FM stations while we are on a trip in the city.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:10   #21
BHPian

i got 1 of these from ebay cost 295/- +shipping works well the remote also has option for equ settings and volume control really worth it instead of sepending thousands to upgrade your hu just for usb connectivity
Old 6th July 2009, 14:13   #22
BHPian

I too, like many of the posts here, bought mine for 400 off ebay. I've been using this for nearly a year now and have noticed certain issues:

- There's a slight hissing sound quite noticeable between tracks. Possibly because of the radio connection or the quality of the sd card- you dont find this on fm channels, nor on CDs.
- Every time I restart the car (and I tend to turn off the engine at a red light), the song that was playing restarts. There's no way I can fast forward to say 2 minutes into the song
- The aux-in connection is really bad- I tried connecting my ipod to it, music quality was terrible. Using the USB connector didnt help matters either.
- Using an SD Card is better than using a USB
- Havent had too many problems when running over potholes and the like (I was told that jerks and jolts would affect the transmitter).
- But the coolest thing is that I can connect my phone to the USB port with the handsfree and use the car speaker system to speak (of course, I use the handsfree microphone to talk)

Any ideas as to how signal quality can be made better?
Old 6th July 2009, 23:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Short of increasing the signal input to the FM modulator inside the unit - a near impossible task - there is nothing one can do to improve the situation. If you are adventurous enough, you could try modifying it. Schematic should be available for the main chip, which could be the starting point. Not sure if it is worth the effort, I guess. Good luck.
Old 7th July 2009, 00:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have had an experience with one of these.
The car was a Toyota Innova which had done about 3 lakh kms.

It's JVC Head Unit wasn't accepting CD's for some reason.
We stopped at somewhere near Mandi ( on our way to Manali). and got this for around 600 + some cost for the cigarette lighter pod ( it did not have an empty slot).

Its good for people who are not concerned about SQ or have basic equipment like a pair of front coaxs and rear 6x9s./coaxs.

The control helps change the song and has option to adjust the volume too.
For the non SQ crazy guys.
10/10.
Old 9th July 2009, 21:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

I just got one from ebay. Costed 335 with shipping (- 10% discount voucher)

Received in 3 days. Cool. Tested it with the iPod and works fine. Cant expect great sound quality, but not bad either.

Need to check with SD-Ram & USB. Will update once done.

I recommend for stock HUs & Speakers.
Old 13th July 2009, 21:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Seems this is a good choice for my Elantra. I am having Stock HU in my Elantra . It doesnt play MP3. Only Tape Cassette and Audio CD Compatible . If i buy this , then i can use all the three.
Old 13th July 2009, 21:37   #27
BANNED

I'm planning to get one for my Alto too. At this price it's worth it.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:19   #28
BHPian

one of my friend who deals in Chinese items in Bulk, recently got this in current lot, i'll visit him soon and check-it-out,

if it doesn't sounds good, i know what to do about it.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Need to check with SD-Ram & USB. Will update once done.
Update. Just checked with the USB & SD card memory. Both works fine. 4GB SD card (may be around 800 bucks?) with this will do loads of fun & songs.

Btw, this reads only MP3 formats. Not supported for wma format songs. No issue, since we have so many tools available online, right?
Old 1st September 2009, 01:56   #30
BHPian

Wireless Fm Modulator - with SD-card and USB Capability!

Yeah indeed this a gr8 product. I picked up mine from New Delhi from eBay India - Online Shopping Mall: Free Auctions, Shop/Buy/Sell Mobiles, Cameras, Apparel, Computers, Bollywood Clothes & Indian Products formerly known as eBay India - Online Shopping Mall: Free Auctions, Shop/Buy/Sell Mobiles, Cameras, Apparel, Computers, Bollywood Clothes & Indian Products

Mine is branded as "I-MUZIX" its got a powerful sound and a lovely remote with Equilizer and select song from a Folder or just a file.

I bought this for just Rs.335/- by paying online with an online transaction. I'll paste the website where our BHP Team users can buy it and I believe they do have a COD facility (Cash on Delivery)

eBay India: MP3 Car FM Modulator & Transmitter with Remote Control (item 320418288453 end time 02-Sep-2009 18:04:14 IST)

I already had a pen drive with 4GB capacity so I pumped in all my mp3 from my PC and I was ready to go. The device has an FM frequency selector so one can set it to any frequency of their choice (eg., I have set mine to 102.70) and then you set the car's FM stereo to the same frequency and hit the PLAY button on the MP3 FM Modulator and you have crystal clear music.

Awesome solution for those who do not have a CD player and/or MP3 player in their cars or their CD players have blown and they do not want to buy a new car deck as some of these cost a bomb, while the cheaper from JVC, CARBON etc cost around Rs.4000+

It gets its power from the cigarette lighter so if a car does not this then one can get it installed for a few hundred bucks from any local mechanic.

Usually these products do not come with a warranty or may be 15-30 days warranty but what the hell... you're just paying Rs.300/-+ to get MP3 music from a bust CD player (or may be just a simple FM Radio in your car deck)

In the last 3 months I have installed over 50 of these mp3 devices in my friends', cousins', etc cars and they are running superb. Just yesterday we drove to AMBY Valley city (Maharashtra, Lonavala) and I blasted my music in my car with Trance and Rave and I had many people with Mercs and BMWs asking me what Deck I got in my WAGON-R.

BTW I got a simple SONY CDX-GT350S in my car and the CD Player constantly gives a message CD RESET so I thought of buying a new deck with a USB capability however I just spent another Rs.335/- and got this FM-MP3 modulator and I am back on the road. (I hate driving without music) I have 5 cars; Wagor-R, Hyundai Getz, Hyundai Santro, Maruti Zen and another older Maruti Zen (now with my wife) and they all have this MP3 FM modulator but the Wagon R is my favourite with Sony XPLOD speakers. However believe me with good speakers or not with good speakers the sound from the MP3 is AWESOME ..

In my wife's Zen there is an assembled deck with a cassette player and FM Radio and old assembled speakers however there is a good beat in them and sometimes when we are stuck in traffic too, even Rickshaw walas ask us what music system we have.

Trust me BHP team this is one hell of a product.

Most Viewed