Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 11:49   #76
BHPian

Re: Wireless Fm Modulator - with SD-card and USB Capability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Bought one for 220 bucks off ebay.

Amazed - my SQ is very decent - no static, no disturbance. Also, no disconnection even on very bumpy roads.

Like others pointed out, if you switch off-switch on car, it'll start at the beginning of whatever track you're playing.

Even if it works for 3/4 months I'll be happy - full paisa vasool for less than a regular pizza!

Lucky You! Got one from ebay for 200 bucks. When i used it, the SQ was decent at very low volume but when the volume was increased, there was lot of disturbance and static.

Removed it and threw it in the bin. Writing songs onto CDs and using it or connecting an Ipod/IPhone via AUX is the best option i feel.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:24   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Lucky You! Got one from ebay for 200 bucks. When i used it, the SQ was decent at very low volume but when the volume was increased, there was lot of disturbance and static.

Removed it and threw it in the bin. Writing songs onto CDs and using it or connecting an Ipod/IPhone via AUX is the best option i feel.
Problem with the antenna? Is your radio reception good? I have a printed screen antenna.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Problem with the antenna? Is your radio reception good? I have a printed screen antenna.

The radio reception is really good. So i don't think the problem is with the antenna. And moreover, when i go over potholes, the modulator gets disconnected.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:49   #79
BHPian

I purchased this unit STEERING WHEEL BLUETOOTH CAR MP3 PLAYER FM TRANSMITTER | eBay from ebay for 2.5k

The unit stopped working from week 2! The main issue I guess is the battery - it does not get charged. I have to keep the unit plugged in to the power supply for the unit to work.

It nevertheless pairs with BT devices quite easily. SQ was not great - I had to pump up the volume on my HU to a very high level to get any decent sound.

My experience has been bad. I have not bothered to ask for a refund or get the unit serviced :(
Old 24th January 2012, 14:48   #80
BHPian

I got one for Rs 600 at Noida - WorldTech brand. The unit has SD / USB & Aux in. Decent sound quality.

There are some instances when you do hear static in the background, but I guess that's due to antenna issues. I have my antenna next to the boot (Accent). 90% of the time I get good SQ apart from basements

For Rs. 600, I thought it was a very good investment, considering that my Pioneer CD player was acting up and did not have USB. (2007 buy)
Old 28th February 2012, 11:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone bought one of these: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Mp3-Fm-Mo...item3cc1910164
Old 28th February 2012, 14:28   #82
Senior - BHPian

I have a query regarding using FM transmitter on Punto. I have observed that the lighter port is located very close to the gear lever in Punto. Has anybody faced any kind of difficulty while slotting into reverse gear when the FM transmitter is plugged into the lighter port? Will the stalk of the lever touch the transmitter? I am attaching an image where I have marked in red the lighter plug. (Image courtesy GTO)
Wireless Fm Modulator - with SD-card and USB Capability!-fiat_grande_punto_interior_dsc02730.jpg
Old 12th May 2012, 13:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

I had tried one of the cheap 220 rs ones, but gave up because
1. it used to reset when the engine was turned on/off
2. Usage was a hasssle because of the LED display which showed only numbers
3. poor SQ

but these new players
Car FM MP3Transmitter/Modulator with Remote from CONVEX 01 | eBay
seem to take care of #1 and #2. Anyone care to comment on their SQ ? Can someone post a shot of their LCD displays ?
Old 12th May 2012, 14:06   #84
BHPian

The one I had purchased a few months back isn't from Convex, but the features seem pretty similar. It came with a remote too, and costed something around 650/- or 700/-.

The SQ isn't something that I would be genuinely impressed with, but it isn't too bad either. Also, the SQ is better while playing it via the line-in cable rather than the USB or SD card. Playing the same song from a disc in the HU, and from my phone through the line-in cable, the difference is noticeable if you pay very close attention. Roughly, I would say it matches about 80-85% of the SQ from the CD.

However, for the price and the convenience that this thing offers, I would consider this a fair trade-off.
Old 12th May 2012, 14:26   #85
BHPian

One should not expect SQ from these cheap USB player alternatives
Have used it in past as "poor man's alternative to USB" but it does irritates you on many occasions, eg. song starts again on cranks and power ups.
my leg used to hit it on lighter socket every now and then.

upgraded to JVC HU and I feel the Rs.200 alternative did best it could do to save you from burning cd's and keeping them scratch free which was a real headache.

Sandsun7: thanks for the pic, I'll be working on another D.I.Y. project and your pic will help me avoid such bad spots.
Old 17th May 2012, 19:14   #86
BHPian

Slightly

Have you ever come across any cheap USB/ FM player (Not FM transmitter) which can be directly connected to speakers since I dont have any HU in my Nano.
Old 17th May 2012, 19:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Slightly

Have you ever come across any cheap USB/ FM player (Not FM transmitter) which can be directly connected to speakers since I dont have any HU in my Nano.
none of them have a built in amp that is needed to drive speakers. you can get chinese HU's which have fairly passable SQ for around 1.5k. you'll have to push car acessories shops a lot (they will try to sell you the low end Pio/Sony units at 2~3k saying they are better quality - they might be) but persist. They usually have them (for taxiwallahs and other extremely low budget customers). If they still say no, pay a visit to thakaraparamb. You'll get one.
Old 18th May 2012, 14:23   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
none of them have a built in amp that is needed to drive speakers. you can get chinese HU's ...
No, greenie, all of them (@shineshine is referring to the same FM+USB Chinese HUs) have puny amps and can be connected to speakers directly. And most of them are connected to Dapic or such whizzer cone speakers by taxi owners / drivers, landing up with tinny horrible music. <shivering>
Old 18th May 2012, 18:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Sandsun7,

The device can be rotated to suit different positions, it will not affect gear shift, had faced a similar problem when I had Spark.
Old 17th July 2012, 19:20   #90
BHPian

Okay guys! I have a query and am hoping the experts should be able to help me. I have a FM Modulator that i had bought in 2009. My query is whether it will play files off a USB 3.0 32GB pen drive i am planning to buy from flipkart.

Just want to be ready for the new technology as my next laptop will definitely have USB3.0.

thanks in advance!

Most Viewed