Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:26   #16
Vin
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There we go again. My gobbletygook has confused everyone but Dinu. Dinu that's exactly wht I meant thank you for clarifying.

Vin, while some here like Gunbir, Sam Kapasi, LBM, B&T and off late a certain "Andy" etc.. have the ability to dazzle you with their brilliance, I have no such ability, so I choose to baffle you with my BS. Sorry.

I understand that these steering wheel control harnesses are dependant on the car being connected. I know for example that Skoda/VW sell harness to connect their steering wheel controls to Alpine HUs.
Hey Navin, sorry for my ignorance, i've been out of the game for longer than I thought, the world seems to have moved on.

and thanks for all your help, you did initiate the discussion which might help me smartly invest my precious dough on some good system,

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The amp is still do-able but skip this sub as they are not worth it. Have used there Pioneer shallow sub and they are bad.

Also the pioneer amp is a 4-ch if you only want to add a sub then a mono will be a better option.

What all other option have you considered ?

Dear Low bass makker, thanks for the headsup, I was pretty much sold out on the subs, now ill look up some more, i have been looking out for 4 channel amps only for the reason that I can dedicate 2 channels for the stock speakes and the balance on the sub,

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
Vin as mentioned by LBM that sub is not too great. subs are bound to consume space and you can buy them here too. also some of the discount you get there gets offset here by the duties and tax structure. the jbl and the gz's are much better at subs and if you you want amps the options are plenty. if you really want to get good power out of a sub you need a good monobloc. a 4-channel amp is not designed to put out the sort of consistent power that monobloc's can. to save on money and space and wiring etc etc some among us recommend that you get a good 4 channel and use it to power your front and your sub together. this is on the basis that you drive most of the time and only need rear for fill. but to get an excellent sound stage i would say get a 4 channel and a monobloc also this way you have dedicated amps doing dedicated jobs. also getting a monobloc means better and cleaner power for the sub so they play at capacity but the amps also tend to be pricey see if you can buy those and a good HU in the sale.
P.S. the garmin is available but is supposedly more expensive and more inaccurate. but thats a review i read.
Dear Valhallen, the other options i was considering as amps are as follows although all of them are 4 channel ones, some of them mention seperate power for each pair of channels, if we cover the wires with proper foam to safegaurd it from any other sound/vibration do you think it'll help,

options -
Eclipse XA4200
JL Audio HD600/4
Kenwood KAC 8404
Alpine PDX-4.150
Roc Fos T8004
PolkAudio PA500.4
Infinity Ref 475A
Pioneer PRS D4200F
Audison 4.1K

my favs are eclipse, audison and pioneer (not necessarily in that order ) although im not sure of the price of the audison,

Cheers,

vin
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
since I will have to buy a seperate GPS (perhaps a blaupunkt, for which I am in a hurry - delhi roads are killing me with all this construction), I guess then I can wait for an advanced HU with good equaliser options,

Thanks,

Vin
I read some reviews where they have rated Blaupunkt Travel Pilot pretty good. They use the MapmyIndia maps, so it should not be a problem. Garmin GPS is also available, but it is pricey and the navigation was far from accurate. I think the best bet would be the Blaupunkt Travel Pilot with Mapmy India.
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:58   #18
Vin
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I read some reviews where they have rated Blaupunkt Travel Pilot pretty good. They use the MapmyIndia maps, so it should not be a problem. Garmin GPS is also available, but it is pricey and the navigation was far from accurate. I think the best bet would be the Blaupunkt Travel Pilot with Mapmy India.
I actually chose blaupunkt only because of the mapmyindia softwre,

i've heard they're pretty accurate so im interested in instruments running that software only, otherwise I have my win mob 6 pda running google earth which is also pretty accurate for delhi,

Vin
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Hey Navin, sorry for my ignorance, i've been out of the game for longer than I thought, the world seems to have moved on.

options -
Eclipse XA4200
JL Audio HD600/4
Kenwood KAC 8404
Alpine PDX-4.150
Roc Fos T8004
PolkAudio PA500.4
Infinity Ref 475A
Pioneer PRS D4200F
Audison 4.1K

my favs are eclipse, audison and pioneer
1. sure the game has moved on dont I know it. I feel like a dinosaur in front of the current crop of Gurus.

2. That list of amps is very varied. I suggest you listen to a few and make that list shorter.
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Vin as mentioned by LBM that sub is not too great. subs are bound to consume space and you can buy them here too.
also some of the discount you get there gets offset here by the duties and tax structure.

the jbl and the gz's are much better at subs and if you you want amps the options are plenty. if you really want to get good power out of a sub you need a good monobloc.

a 4-channel amp is not designed to put out the sort of consistent power that monobloc's can. to save on money and space and wiring etc etc some among us recommend that you get a good 4 channel and use it to power your front and your sub together.

this is on the basis that you drive most of the time and only need rear for fill. but to get an excellent sound stage i would say get a 4 channel and a monobloc also this way you have dedicated amps doing dedicated jobs. also getting a monobloc means better and cleaner power for the sub so they play at capacity but the amps also tend to be pricey see if you can buy those and a good HU in the sale.

P.S. the garmin is available but is supposedly more expensive and more inaccurate. but thats a review i read.
valhallen, your replies are always informative, keep it up. Just one request, it would be much more readable if you could use paragraphs.
Hope you dont mind my suggestion cheers:
Old 3rd December 2008, 16:22   #21
BHPian

@Sujitm i will try more but i post from a phone so it kind of makes life hard. Crazy work life.
@Vin and Navinji the game may have moved on but the physics remain the same. so i guess you wouldn't be too far out of date now would you.
@Vin i agree with navinji but by personal preference i would rate them this way...
Audison
Eclipse
Infinity
Alpine or JL
RF or Polk.
Out of the lot i wouldn't really pick kenwood or pioneer in front of these kings.
Also please note you get wiring which is shielded for which we pay a fair amount of money. EFX and MONSTER for example. the wiring kits cost about the same in india and abroad.
Also having seperate power for each channel is good. BUT how far do you think about 120 w at 2ohms will push say a 300 or 400 w RMS sub? not much in my opinion. Using the amp for all 4 speakers with the hpf will ALSO stop your irritating rear co-ax from doing what it does best. Irritate.
The travelpilot is the best available. but even i use google maps only and its much easier and faster. Since its a PDA just get a mount and put it on the dash. make life easy not more difficult. i'm certain you can put that extra cash to some good use.
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

i doubt it makes sense to invest so much money on an expensive amplifier or high resolution components, if you plan not to change the head unit ever, vin.
as we all know, all head units that come OE on cars are not handpicked by audio connoisseurs to say the least. thus, the speaker level outputs from the head units cannot provide a good quality input to the amplifier. thus, for such head units, there will not be too much of a difference in the quality of music, between say, using a jbl 604 and a 1004.
please correct me if wrong, but the head unit MUST have pre outs, if you want to amplify the music through a reasonably high end amplifier like the 1004 and output the same sound through say, even illusion audio electra components that sound great if they are given the right source and adequate power.
Old 6th December 2008, 12:04   #23
Vin
BHPian

Quote:
Also having seperate power for each channel is good. BUT how far do you think about 120 w at 2ohms will push say a 300 or 400 w RMS sub? not much in my opinion. Using the amp for all 4 speakers with the hpf will ALSO stop your irritating rear co-ax from doing what it does best. Irritate.
Dear Val, thanks for the useful info, I have changed my mind from getting a 4 channel amp to a mono since i just need it for the sub right now, later i can get a 4 channel when I'm redoing the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
i doubt it makes sense to invest so much money on an expensive amplifier or high resolution components, if you plan not to change the head unit ever, vin.

please correct me if wrong, but the head unit MUST have pre outs, if you want to amplify the music through a reasonably high end amplifier like the 1004 and output the same sound through say, even illusion audio electra components that sound great if they are given the right source and adequate power.
Dear Frank,

thanks for your concern, actually I will change the HU and the components, but I want to go about in a phased manner and not change the HU right now,

I was thinking of getting a good amplifier and a sub woofer for now which will give me good low freqs for now since the factory fitted system does not do anything in that department,

I searched online but could nt find retailers for audison in the USA, but Eclipse systems are readily available, so i might go for the eclipse mono and buy a hertz subwoofer either from delhi itself or if i get it in new york then ill go for it from there itself,

Cheers!!
Old 6th December 2008, 15:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Super Store, The largest selection at the lowest prices! has Audison Amps online in the US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks