Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 10:25   #1
BHPian

Noobie needs Help please, ICE for Fiesta

Hi everyone,

Some background first-

I own a ford fiesta,2007 Model - Diesel Duratorq Sxi. My car came with factory fitted Audio CD player with 6 CD in dash changer. The playback and clarity till now has been seamless and crystal. Nowadays though,the drive seems to be skipping a few tracks, or has a slur when it comes to certain parts of the ACD eventhough the CD's brand new.

It is due to this reason ,that I decided to go in for a new MP3 system. Now- I'm aware that Ford supplies the new MP3 HU in its newer models, and I was told by my ford showroom that there was a guy who wanted to sell his MP3 HU,from his 4 month old ford Fiesta.

I really don't know anything about the quality of the Ford Fiesta MP3 players - manufacturer,playback quality or reliability. My queries are

1) Should I go in for the offer of getting the 4 month old MP3 player supplied by Ford itself?.Or should I buy an entirely new one?

2)The console on which the Audio component is mounted is big and blends very well with the standard ford interiors, and I like the existing look very much. Will the replacement significantly alter the console?

3)Is there an option for upgrading the existing Audio CD player to an MP3 player by replacing some component, like a reader card maybe?.If so, Can you help me out by suggesting some place in Bangalore ,Cochin or Coimbatore where I can get it done? (I'm from Mysore)

4)My friend is ready to buy the old CD player with 6 CD changer for Rs.6000 - Is it a good deal? (But if the third questions reply is 'yes' then it saves me all the trouble.

5)Could you tell me if the New MP3 sets provided by ford match the earlier ACD players in terms of quality?

6)I have not yet fitted out my car with any audio accessories, all the existing ones are stock- Please suggest good components that are essential, and approximate cost. (I really would love to pamper the car and myself, but budget constraints remain). I prefer to listen to combination of Rock & Pop, and play it at medium volume (to hear the traffic, AND because my wife hates it if I play it loud). So I need a system that is exceptionally good at medium to low sound levels. Alpine,Kenwood,Blaupunkt are all in my sights as far as budget is concerned, so please suggest a good model for my needs.

Finally, thanks for being so patient and reading all this, All help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

it goes without saying, that wiring used and the installer hired must be good!
since each tbhpian has their own 2 cents to give, you will be confused by a bevy of options. but my opinion is, define your budget! and then we can suggest a good set for you

Note from mod:
1) Please dont quote an entire large post, it makes browsing difficult for our small screen/mobile viewers.
2) Please dont type in all bold text.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2008 at 19:53. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:55   #3
BHPian

thank you

great reply, I really found it very helpful.
I would like to say that my budget for ICE enhancement would be around Rs. 20,000.
I would like to keep the current stock speaker set for another 10 months, before I get good ones (speaker and subwoofer) from the US. So that can be deducted from the pricing, and right now I would be using that extra bit for the HU or Amplifier- so do suggest a good combination.

Also- please tell me of a good wiring brand.

I would also like your views on pioneer vs. alpine vs. blaupunkt
Is alpine not recommended because of its higher pricing?

cheers
Old 8th December 2008, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
great reply, I really found it very helpful.
I would like to say that my budget for ICE enhancement would be around Rs. 20,000.
I would like to keep the current stock speaker set for another 10 months, before I get good ones (speaker and subwoofer) from the US. So that can be deducted from the pricing, and right now I would be using that extra bit for the HU or Amplifier- so do suggest a good combination.

Also- please tell me of a good wiring brand.

I would also like your views on pioneer vs. alpine vs. blaupunkt
Is alpine not recommended because of its higher pricing?

cheers
So is the budget 20k just for the whole setup or just for the first installment of the amp and/or the hu? Yes alpine was not suggested because I don't know what budget you are on.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:21   #5
BHPian

ICE enhancement

Yes the Rs.20000 is for the initial upgrade of HU/Amplifier only. What would you suggest?.
I have found one person who is willing to get me the Pioneer FH P6050 UB (2DIN) for Rs. 11350. Do you think this is a fair deal?, or should I be looking at other brands?.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

ok then my suggestion is slightly different. i suggest you get a good head unit and a good set of components up front. upgrading the amp and head unit together right now without touching the speakers makes less sense as you will not be able to appreciate the difference with the stock paper cone speakers.
my suggestion:
in 20k get a good 2 din player with atleast 3 RCA preouts----13k
and a good set of components(illusion audio or jbl or whatever you like after auditioning)----7k

this will help you enjoy your music as you upgrade, and not after you have upgraded totally.
whats the point of having a swanky head unit and powerful amplifier if the speakers are weak. do you get that?? im sure by now it makes a little more sense to you.
Old 8th December 2008, 22:02   #7
BHPian

Why a 2 din ?

Hay mate ,
I suggest you skip the 2-din HU , because @ 13k you can get a vey good 1-din HU without B/W.. There are a LOT of options at 10-15K price point !!

And a good hu DOES make a difference in terms of SQ!!
Old 8th December 2008, 22:09   #8
BHPian

totally agree with frank. any system needs to start at the prime does first so the first to go are HU and speakers. I understand that you want to upgrade the sub and speakers later. but i would say there's not much difference in price except in the premium brands probably. alpine makes some of the best systems around yes they are pricey but fantastic. Blaupunkt kinda falls in the compromise section for quality to price. check JVC also though for heads.
Speakers you need an upgrade for sure its like saying you want to take your walking shoes for a sprint. atleast upgrade the fronts for now. Believe me they make a WORLD of a DIFFERENCE to PLAYBACK.
Old 8th December 2008, 22:10   #9
BHPian

yes

yes- right now, a gradual upgrade seems more within my reach. I will go in for your advice of upgrading the Head Unit first. You said 3 pre-outs.. could you suggest any models please?
Old 8th December 2008, 22:22   #10
BHPian

1 Din?

I am aware that there are a lot more options in the 1 DIN sector, but my problem is, My ford fiesta currently has a 2DIN player, and the console blends in nicely with the interior. I do not want a huge gap in my console because of the 1 DIN HU. I have also talked to a sound engineer based in Chennai , who does car Audio enhancements, and he said he can fit in the 2 DIN HU, with minimal modifications (since the Pioneer FH P6050 UB (2DIN) that I was hoping to get was made for Japanese cars and hence smaller than the Ford HU slot, which is for American Cars) . Do you have any suggestions for good HU's conforming to the specs as detailed by frank? . I require model Nos. and approximate rates.
Old 8th December 2008, 23:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Hay mate ,
I suggest you skip the 2-din HU , because @ 13k you can get a vey good 1-din HU without B/W.. There are a LOT of options at 10-15K price point !!

And a good hu DOES make a difference in terms of SQ!!
+1 to that. but if you want that flush fit that is only possible with a 2 din, then you might get something that is not as Value for Money as say, a single din unit priced similarly.
your call, fit and finish or more bang for your buck
Old 9th December 2008, 10:00   #12
BHPian

what's the hassle? get a single din and put in an extra 5-disc changer. so when you get bored of your pod or pen drive you can listen to the cd's. this way you can keep the wife happy too: by leaving her music in the car. (P.S. it works when she's in a bad mood. had that prob with my gf took only 20 min of her music to change that :-p ) And there's NOTHING like listening to an ORIGINAL disc.
this way you can even pick up the basic alpine or the entry mid-end blaupunkt. or a higher pioneer. Panasonic is good VFM too. a friend has it in his swift sounds good with JBL speakers all around.
Old 9th December 2008, 20:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

i suggest a single din too. the lower/upper slot in the dashboard that remains empty can be used to store knick knacks, or if the need arises, can be sealed too, giving that flush fit on the dashboard. why not go for a decent sounding mid range pioneer like the 6050, or else, if the budget permit get the the p80RS pioneer reference series head unit for about 17-18k in the grey market. spare about 6-7k more for the components, and you are set as of now!
Old 9th December 2008, 23:47   #14
BHPian

@ascertain
how was your so called ford speakers??
i really am in a fix here trying to decide whether to go for the kit they provide (4 ford speakers with kenwood 339 and antenna).
i don't expect exceptional music but hoping it has a decent vocal!!
so enlighten me with your experience.
Old 10th December 2008, 00:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
I am aware that there are a lot more options in the 1 DIN sector, but my problem is, My ford fiesta currently has a 2DIN player, and the console blends in nicely with the interior. I do not want a huge gap in my console because of the 1 DIN HU. I have also talked to a sound engineer based in Chennai , who does car Audio enhancements, and he said he can fit in the 2 DIN HU, with minimal modifications (since the Pioneer FH P6050 UB (2DIN) that I was hoping to get was made for Japanese cars and hence smaller than the Ford HU slot, which is for American Cars) . Do you have any suggestions for good HU's conforming to the specs as detailed by frank? . I require model Nos. and approximate rates.
I think you get after market DASH kit to resolve the 2-din,1-din issue.And do check the size of your stock speakers in advance if a speaker upgrade is lined up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks