Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Ideal speaker setup for Spark - Component + Subwoofer

I am planning to install Component speakers in front & a sub-woofer in the rear for my tiny Chevy spark. I believe the component speakers would provide very good High & Mid sound quality. While the Sub-woofer with an amplifier will handle the lows accurately. Also, for hearing classical music, I can just turn off the Sub-woofer amplifier & listen to just the Mid & highs.

Hi gurus, please comment on this. I am new to Car speakers so do provide details about good component speakers & sub-woofers. If you got better alternatives for setup which provides good quality sound, please let me know.

My budget - 5k
My choice of speakers (dono much about brand, please advise).
Component - JBL, Sony, pioneer costing around - 3.5k
Sub-woofer - Pioneer - 1.5k
Old 12th December 2008, 11:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

have you forgotten the zeros in your above mentioned budget?? im quite perplexed! you wont get anywhere with a 5k budget for components and a powered subwoofer!
Old 12th December 2008, 11:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

you really dont need a sub, unless you want deep bass at low volumes, due to the small cabin size, 6x9's will do 80% of the time
Old 12th December 2008, 12:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
have you forgotten the zeros in your above mentioned budget?? im quite perplexed! you wont get anywhere with a 5k budget for components and a powered subwoofer!
Well, last time I asked for the price, It costed 3.5k for component spekers and 1.5k for subwoofer.

Judging at the tone of your speech, it means I am missing a major component. Is it the cross over circuit or the Amplifier which costs too much?
Old 12th December 2008, 12:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

ill tell you how much a basic set of speakers costs:
1. components: atleast 4.5k(thats without bill or warranty)
2. subwoofer: atleast 2.2k
3. amplifier to alteast run the subwoofer: atleast 3.2k

and thats not counting the wiring, installation and the subwoofer enclosure!
that would be easily around 3k more!
Old 12th December 2008, 12:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
ill tell you how much a basic set of speakers costs:
1. components: atleast 4.5k(thats without bill or warranty)
2. subwoofer: atleast 2.2k
3. amplifier to alteast run the subwoofer: atleast 3.2k

and thats not counting the wiring, installation and the subwoofer enclosure!
that would be easily around 3k more!
Component with Bill & warrant =3.5k (sony XS-GTX1620-S)
Speakers : Xplod™ Speakers / Subwoofer : Sony India

thanks, you pointed out the cost of amplifier. But I remember my head unit has a bass controller & separate Sub-woofer connection in the back. So the amplifiers can be skipped.

Last edited by ritz830 : 12th December 2008 at 12:23.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

sorry we dont recommend sonys on tbhp! its quite crappy. if its good sound quality that you are looking for, then sony should be definitely out of your shopping basket.
also, you cannot skip an amp if you want a subwoofer!!!! just because the unit has a bass controller and a seperate sub connection at the back.
for your information, the sub connection is a pre amp connection that is supposed to be connected to an amplifier
head units cannot efficiently run a subwoofer!

Last edited by frankmehta : 12th December 2008 at 12:37.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:46   #8
BHPian

@ritz380:

As far as I am aware the stock speaker location for the Spark is the front dash - this will accomodate only 4" speakers.

If you want to install a 2-way 5.25/6.5" component set, you would have to cut your front door panels to accomodate the same. Have you decided if you want to do that? If not, you may be better off looking for 4" 2-way coaxial speakers for the front - you will find several choices close to your budget.

Experts - please correct me if I'm wrong about the Spark stock locations...
Old 12th December 2008, 14:33   #9
BHPian

If you are not using rear speakers at all, you could use the rear channels connected to a single Subwoofer if your HU is a Pioneer which has the 'Direct Sub drive' option. You have to select the menu option accordingly.
In this mode you dont need an amplifier at all but you will miss the rear speakers. I have not seen this done so far so cannot comment on how the Sub will perform.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

4" comps sound great in the spark dash, much better than , say in an alto or wagon R .
Old 12th December 2008, 15:57   #11
nitin.dangayach

U mean to say components or coaxials?

Old 12th December 2008, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

whoops . rightly spotted - i meant coax

for a dash mounting, apart from the added LPF for the midbass , there isnt much difference, especially since the tweeter is firing straight at the ears
Old 12th December 2008, 17:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
If you are not using rear speakers at all, you could use the rear channels connected to a single Subwoofer if your HU is a Pioneer which has the 'Direct Sub drive' option. You have to select the menu option accordingly.
In this mode you dont need an amplifier at all but you will miss the rear speakers. I have not seen this done so far so cannot comment on how the Sub will perform.
Oh, is it. "Direct Sub drive". I will definitely check that out.
Technology: Direct Sub Drive - Car Audio - CD Player

@Prass & greenhorn
Yes, Spark does not have a door mounting option. But some spark owners have mounted the components in a reverse manner. Let me see what are the options.

Last edited by ritz830 : 12th December 2008 at 17:16.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

ritz, you'll need to get hold of a small DVC sub to make use of the direct sub drive option. they're not very easy to get hold of in india. 6x9's will be almost as good , and will take care of the rear passengers too
Old 12th December 2008, 18:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
ritz, you'll need to get hold of a small DVC sub to make use of the direct sub drive option. they're not very easy to get hold of in india. 6x9's will be almost as good , and will take care of the rear passengers too
Yea, I will try to find one small subwoofer . If not I will omit the sub-woofer and stick to components alone.

Just went through some old thread about speaker setup in Spark & Santros. The owners have settled with 4.1 inch component speakers as the speaker slot is small in these cars. Both the tweeter and mid range goes on the dash. As per me this setup will produce similar sound quality as the three way speaker because the tweeter and mid-range are placed close to each other.
Reference:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...nts-spark.html

I have a different idea. Why not put the tweeters on the factory provided slot on the dash. Then put the mid-range in the rear parcel tray. Doing this we can use 6 inch components. what do you say guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks