Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 00:41   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto

Dear All,

I have booked an Alto yesterday. Would be taking the delivery in Mid- Jan. Was thinking about the ICE for the Alto. I read through many of the threads pertaining to Alto ICE. But many of them are old (somewhere in October '08) hence I thought I can post a new thread so I can get the latest price.

My budget: 12k, can stretch it to 15k MAX
Any combination would suffice for me, but would not prefer to go beyond my budget.
I listen to all kinds of music from ghazals to hard rock.

My requirements of a System should have the ability to read home burnt CD's, MP3's etc. Also if USB drive is present it would be nice.
If the system has a bluetooth for attaching Mobiles, it would be an added advantage.

I was a little inclined towards Pioneer, since I can buy a steering attached remote control (I would really love to have one ). I am open to other brands if I can buy that remote.

My Maruti dealer suggested to go for Sony, JVC or Kenwood. Though I know many people dont suggest Sony, so that leaves with Kenwood, JVC & Pioneer (the temptation of the steering control remains).

For the speakers, he was suggesting me to go for Sony, JVC or Kenwood.

He said not to go for installation outside since if the after sales shop cuts any wire, then my warranty will lapse, but then I assume many people actually get their ICE from outside. How does that happen? He suggested that I buy my system from outside and install it from him, he will charge me Rs. 1000 for that. Any comments?

Is it a good idea to go for a sub-woofer and an amplifier? Would not want to stretch my 15k budget to include them.But would not want to sacrifice my boot space.

Is dampening of the door necessay, if yes then what would be the cost?

Also the Alto has the speakers on the Dash (just to the below right/left of the windscreen). Where does one connect the speakers? On the dash or the Doors. (If doors, then would it not get wet when one opens the door in rainy season?)

Would appreciate if someone can give me an approximate price for the above (wiring, MDP if required, dampening, HU, Speakers, the steering control etc.)

A shop name would also be helpful.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
I have booked an Alto yesterday.
My budget: 12k, can stretch it to 15k MAX
I listen to all kinds of music from ghazals to hard rock.
Also if USB drive is present it would be nice.
If the system has a bluetooth for attaching Mobiles
I was a little inclined towards Pioneer
He said not to go for installation outside since if the after sales shop cuts any wire, then my warranty will lapse

Is it a good idea to go for a sub-woofer and an amplifier?
Is dampening of the door necessay, if yes then what would be the cost?
WIth a budget of 12-15K I'd suggest a good HU (no bluetooth or USB) and 4 good speakers.

A Pio HU will cost you 6K that leave 6-9K for the speakers. For teh speakers look at brands like JBL, Blaupunkt, Illusion, Hertz, Bull, etc... I have not heard all these barnds and you may find that JBL and Blaupunkt are more widely distributed than the others mentioned (that does not mean the others are lesser speakers).

Neither Kenwood or Sony make good speakers.

An amp and sub will cost you 15K+ so they are outside your budget for now.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:58   #3
BHPian

You should get the pioneer 3050 Hu.It comes with Usb and it shouldnt be a problem getting it around 5k.For speakers go with Jbl they are excellent VFM.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman
My requirements of a System should have the ability to read home burnt CD's, MP3's etc. Also if USB drive is present it would be nice.
If the system has a bluetooth for attaching Mobiles, it would be an added advantage.
Head unit with Bluetooth will eat away most of your budget. The Pioneer 3050UB will do everything else you mention.

Quote:
For the speakers, he was suggesting me to go for Sony, JVC or Kenwood.
Sony, JVC and Kenwood seem to be your dealer's favorite brands.

Quote:
He said not to go for installation outside since if the after sales shop cuts any wire, then my warranty will lapse, but then I assume many people actually get their ICE from outside. How does that happen? He suggested that I buy my system from outside and install it from him, he will charge me Rs. 1000 for that. Any comments?
A professional installer will make sure the install does not void your warranty.

Quote:
Is it a good idea to go for a sub-woofer and an amplifier? Would not want to stretch my 15k budget to include them.But would not want to sacrifice my boot space.
In 15k, you wont be able to get a sub + amp also.

Quote:
Also the Alto has the speakers on the Dash (just to the below right/left of the windscreen). Where does one connect the speakers? On the dash or the Doors. (If doors, then would it not get wet when one opens the door in rainy season?)
Preferred location would be the doors. Will involve cutting the door panel.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

15k Budget i would recommend you the following:

Pioneer,JVC,Sony HU - Rs.6000/-
Alto Wire Harness - Rs.150/-
Illusion Audio EL4.1 Components - Rs.4990/-
JBL GTO938 6x9 coaxials- Rs.4800/- OR
Ground Zero Irradium 6x9 coaxials- Rs.4990/-
MDF Tray - Rs.650/-
Labour Rs.300/-

Rs.16,890/-

Done!!! Hope this helps

Last edited by ramie2400 : 17th December 2008 at 12:34.
Old 17th December 2008, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

In your budget I would recommend(I have an Alto)

HU PIO\Kenwood\JVC - 6k to 8k
Front Speakers 4 inch - JBL\Sony\Pio - 900 to 1100
Rear Speakers 6X9s - JBL\Ground Zero\ - 4000 to 5000
Old 10th October 2011, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto

Can the 6" round Sony speakers be fitted to the MGA parcel tray of the Alto?

My car has 4" Sony speakers in front and 6" ones fitted to the rear hatch door. I also have a MGA parcel tray fitted, but this muffles the sound of the rear speakers. Also, at higher volumes I can see the hatch door vibrating in the RVM!

I fitted the ICE as well as parcel tray at the dealer's MGA (ABT Maruti) at the time of delivery. They said the MGA parcel tray can't take the speakers' weight and so they should be installed at the hatch door.

I have removed the parcel tray sometime back since I wanted a clear sound from the rear speakers. I recently visited Radio Warehouse to explore the possibility of installing a new parcel tray to which the speakers can be shifted. I was informed by them that the original MGA tray itself can take the 6" (round) speakers without any issue, and not to install a heavier tray.

I went home and inspected the MGA tray and sure enough, I can see the outline for speaker holes on the underside of the tray. I also feel the steel rod reinforcements running the length of the tray. Can someone tell me if the speakers can be safely fitted to this tray? Will it cause any vibrations?
Old 11th October 2011, 22:55   #8
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto

using 6 inch ovals sony explod 6yrs then jbl 6 inch ovals past one year in my 7 yr alto with them fitted on my mga parcel tray . no problems of vibrations or anything today.

Moderator's Note: Thread closed. Please post your queries/comments in this thread - ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto. Thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st October 2015 at 10:40.
anky is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks