Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 16:31   #1
BHPian

ICE without Sub but need bass

I might be sounding weird, but I been trying various ICE setups before coming across t-bhp.

Firstly, i love the old Sonata's ICE, detail is there and not much of coloration.

Now to get that kind of detail I tried in a fiesta & getz, 4x100 amp for front components 6.5 inch, 6x9 rear / 6.5 3way coaxial door, and a mono for the sub.

The problem is there is just too much of bass ( boom ) which I just started hating after listening to this kinda setup for the last 10 years.

Everytime I go to a place to install my system, I tell them I like a flat sound like how the montiors (head phone or studio speakers ) show, those guys say, i know your taste and I see them increasing the bass fully and the highs fully and it starts sounding like the systems in mid 90s on brigade road these cars playing "Its my Life" only treble and earth shattering bass.

I am happy I landed up here, so the issue is I am getting a i10 and want to do a install. I am looking at clean sound and no overpowering of the sub / bass.

I am so scared of it that I am trying to make a system with out a sub itself. But lots of people are discouraging me telling the components just cant do justice to all the low information in the song.

I was playing around on my pc to see exactly how my music will sound if the whole 50hz below is cut, etc. I am still confused.

Today, I threw out the sub in my getz and started listening only to the front components, I was pretty happy with the bass. So I am considering putting 4 6.5 components in my i10 and a solid amp 200 x 4 and cut all bass below 50 hz.

What do the gurus think of this.

Also problem with door speakers is, when someone sits in the co-driver seat, the sound stage is lost because of blocking of the speaker. Any workaround for this.

Thanks.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

too much boom is a problem with improperly tuned sub enclosures. a sealed box should do quite well
Old 16th December 2008, 17:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddream
Now to get that kind of detail I tried in a fiesta & getz, 4x100 amp for front components 6.5 inch, 6x9 rear / 6.5 3way coaxial door, and a mono for the sub.
The problem is there is just too much of bass ( boom ) which I just started hating after listening to this kinda setup for the last 10 years.
Although you have not commented on the make or quality of speakers, turning down the gains on the mono would have helped in reducing the unwanted bass.

Quote:
Everytime I go to a place to install my system, I tell them I like a flat sound like how the montiors (head phone or studio speakers ) show, those guys say, i know your taste and I see them increasing the bass fully and the highs fully and it starts sounding like the systems in mid 90s on brigade road these cars playing "Its my Life" only treble and earth shattering bass.

Quote:
I am looking at clean sound and no overpowering of the sub / bass.

I am so scared of it that I am trying to make a system with out a sub itself. But lots of people are discouraging me telling the components just cant do justice to all the low information in the song.
You need a good sub and a good installer. You are literally holding all subs guilty for overpowering speakers. And the people discouraging you are right, car audio speakers are designed to not play the lowest octaves.

Quote:
So I am considering putting 4 6.5 components in my i10 and a solid amp 200 x 4 and cut all bass below 50 hz.
200x4 is way too much power even from a headroom point of view. More so since you will not be using anything under 50 Hz.

Quote:
Also problem with door speakers is, when someone sits in the co-driver seat, the sound stage is lost because of blocking of the speaker. Any workaround for this.
A speaker with a reasonably lower crossover frequency will help. More directional frequencies will be played by the tweeter, though not all. Plus, the i10 speaker location is right in front (not towards the rear of the door), so not much of it gets covered by the legs.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddream View Post
So I am considering putting 4 6.5 components in my i10
1. I had a bit of trouble understanding your post.
2. if you are getting an i10 please look at what our member Bhagwan did to his wife's i10 on this forum (search). it is an excellent reference.
3. can you please name the brands you are considering. it will give us a better idea as to what you are trying to achieve.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:29   #5
BHPian

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I will hear a sealed subwoofer's sound signature and see if I like it.

The reason I wanted 4 x 6.5 components is that the rear door 6.5 jbl 3way coaxial sounds so weak compared to the front 6.5 jbl components in my getz. So when I amp all the speakers and with a 50hz High pass I dont want the rear coaxial to give a loose bass or coloration.

I saw bhagwan's installation, dynaaudio speakers, no way, I dont have that kind of budget. I can shell 30k max, anyway I have a sony 222 amp and a pioneer subwoofer and enclosure done by EBBASS 6 years ago for my Santro ( which I sold and upgrading to i10).

I thought I will buy a pio headunit with 3 rca and usb, 4 x 6.5 components ( pioneer or jbl not sure, been using both in other cars ), that is it. 6000 for head unit and another 6000 for components. I wanted to connect the 222 to the front components. The rear component and sub connected to the head unit ( direct sub drive feature ). For the sub, I saw a small kicker sub 6" maybe, in a sealed box should be enough.

Again, I have no idea how this configuration might sound. I am ready to spend 30k, help me. Just that I am not a bass head, but would like to hear the extreme lows without over emphasis.

Thanks for all the help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks