Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Yet another i10 ICE thread

I am a long time lurker, and like what people say about God, I remember TBHP only when I need help. So here we go.

I got myself an i10 Auto Sportz last week (will review it after 500 kms as I could not find a proper i10 Auto review on this site).

This comes with an integrated Audio and speakers. Here are my requirements.

1. I want to retain the Integrated HU. My guess is, it is a Nippon/Kenwood unit. The source is going to be only the ipod using the aux-in.

2. I want to put new speakers in the stock locations. I think it is 5.25". Could someone confirm please.

3. I would prefer not to go for subwoofer and I think with the right choice of speakers, I might not really miss a sub, but as with any preferences in TBHP, they can be twisted, turned over and completely changed ;-).

And here are my questions.

1. Will the integrated HU be able to power the speakers adequately? I guess not, so I might require a 4 channel amp, keeping the option of a 8" or 10" sub open. Also, will the quality be good enough or should I change the source?

2. Choice of speakers; This is a problem in Chennai, no one has any proper demo cars or even demo speakers available. Radio Warehouse has some low end stuff, Technocrat has none. So I am going by what I have heard elsewhere. I earlier had a decent system with Infinity Reference Compos and rear Coaxials. I prefer a laidback "warm" sound with what I call authority to the sound and not full throated bass. From my memory, I was thinking of going for Morel Tempo?? for the front components (Rs. 12K) and rear Pulse coaxials (Rs. 6K). Are there any other good choices? I think Hertz Energy might also be good.

3. Damping: No one in Chennai even knows about damping. RWH has not heard of it. Technocrat/Metal effects dont think it is all that important, but apparently they can procure some Dynamat. Last time I was researching, there was some good material called American <something> at Hot Wheels in B'lore. Is it still available?

4. Tweeter mounts: I saw pictures of God-ji's and Magma's custom made tweeter mounts and I really REALLY loved them. Can we get pre fabricated stuff like that? Probably with vertical and sideways swivel. My DIY skills dont go that far.

I understand that it would be much easier if I could drive down to B'lore as I would have much more choice. But, I have just returned unscathed from a country once known as suicide capital of the world, and driving an i10 auto on the highway might just tempt fate.

I have intentionally left my budget empty as I wouldn't want to limit someone's imagination.

P.S: Why dont we have an experts Review Section where various people review various car speakers (this might go into a long discussion on subjectivity vs objectivity, but I think there is undeniable value in this). Maybe for some people, there might a conflict of interest, but there are independent experts like Navin, DerAlte, Thad.. (these are some names I remember, not sure if they are still around..)
Old 30th December 2008, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have intentionally left my budget empty as I wouldn't want to limit someone's imagination.
Sir, do you realize that time to come, your wife/father/mother/anyone with a material interest in your financial wellbeing would cruxcify you for making such dangerous statements in TeamBHP ICE section.

I can already see you in such high stages of ICElust that the word budget seems not to ring a bell

Jokes apart, congrats on a lovely car!
Old 30th December 2008, 19:44   #3
BHPian

@Phamilyman : LOL, Yes I know.. In fact most people I know would be horrified at the my lack of prudence. Actually I did not want to say my budget is unlimited. In fact, it is quite limited. It was just that I would like to know what would offer the best price/performance ratio.

For example, a pair of Rainbow Vanadium is very very good, but the price/performance ratio is not what I would be OK with (the law of diminishing returns etc. etc.).

Anyway, I think I should clearly state my budget here so as to prevent people from getting very imaginative. I am not looking for high end stuff. My budget for the four speakers is 20-25K.
Old 30th December 2008, 19:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

if you are afraid of b'lore , why not ekm here in gods own country

I say get a good alpine HU, front comps + rear coax speakers according to your taste, + damping and labour should fit nicely within 25k.
while it may not be as lound , it will sound vastly better than a system with a cheaper HU and amp!

Last edited by greenhorn : 30th December 2008 at 19:55.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:03   #5
BANNED

Mate first of all you need to throw the Head Unit its the biggest culprit in your Car, check your budget and decide whether you need Pioneer, Kenwood kind of stuff(5-10K range) or Alpine, Eclipse(18-till your limit) kinda stuff, accordingly for time been just put front components powering with good 4 channel amp, so later on also you can retain the entire stuff during future upgrades.
Once you feel like need to upgrade put one mono amp and woofer along with rear components in rear doors or 3 ways coxes in parcel trey.Many brands and ranges are available even i heard many names first time in team-bhp , choose your taste and get it.Even when i logged in to this section i came with budget of 15K which was streatched to 55K and still going on.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:14   #6
BHPian

@Ajay: That is exactly what I am reluctant to do. I like the way the standard HU looks and any replacement will look out of place. And all I am interested in is the Aux-in. I am not going to use the DAC or the tray or the FM etc. So the only component in the entire HU that is probably going to be used would be the preamp.

Let us assume that I then power the components and the sub with a proper 4 channel Amp, would the sound quality be all that bad?

I know I am being weird about retaining the HU, but is there no way I can work around it? Or it is a hopeless cause?

I was thinking of having Front Components and a 10" Sub powered by a 4 channel amp. I might not have the rear coaxials at all. I will be the only person in the car most of the time and the remaining times, are my friends/family who wont care as long as some audible sound comes.

Let us assume 15K for a decent amplifier, another 15K for the front components. I have my heart set on the Morel Tempo 5.25" that I have heard before. I am looking if there are comparable models from other brands that people here can suggest.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:29   #7
BANNED

Stock HU is good for just looks and its hopeless trust me or give a shot with putting all other stuff like amp, components with stock HU and compare the setup with any after market good HU, we tried in my friends Fusion and results were shocking.
Go for 4 spekers as you'll enjoy a lot the effect of fader.
I think you should go for Pioneer HU along with decent components like JBL, infinity,Illusion etc in all 4 doors(ranging 4-12K) with damping now along with decent 4 channel amp, JBL is the most popular brand over here and they does pretty good job, their new GT series 4 channel amp costs hardly 6-7K in grey market or if you need more power than search for GTO 75.4(production stopped but damn good and powerful amp).
As i said in my previous post if budget allows put mono amp and sub or keep it for future upgrade.
You may drive down to Bangalore as we have many good installers over here.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

The budget is(was) 25k for 4 speakers; compos for front and co-ax for rear.

Lets say 12k max for front and 5 k for rear. Stretch a tab, get a four channel (or two channel) power compos and rear (or just compos). Some for wiring and damping.

Enjoy these for sometime and then get a sub, then you will love it all over again.

And wont the HU do a good job when reading from an iPod?

And please, not a base Pio for the love of music.

Last edited by jkdas : 7th January 2009 at 20:02.
Old 9th January 2009, 18:22   #9
BHPian

I took delivery of my new blushing red 1.2 i10 on 26th Dec 2008 (separate report due).

I was reading through TeamBHP to gather together a budget ICE combination. The more I read the more confused I am. I am starting this thread a little scared of what my budget will be after a few days!

I have a system in mind:
Kenwood 6539
Kenwood KAC 8401
Bull Audio comps 6.5" for front
Bull Audio sub

I will only want comps in the front + a sub.

I need suggestions from gurus, as to what other options I may have in this kind of setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
hi monty..

consider this:

HU: Pio **50 series: 6-7K grey
Amp: JBL 1004 : 10K grey
Front Comps: JBL 608 4K grey / Illusions electra 6.1 7K B&W
Sub + Sealed: Entry level GZ + ported box (Contact LBM/B&T for details)
Thanks Panky.

Few more things I need to add:
1. The head unit needs to be iPod compatible (can be charged and controlled from the HU). I will prefer back USB.
2. The front compos need to fit in the stock location in the door, as I am not in favour of any cutting.
3. My budget is 25K.

Also I need suggestions on damping, wires.

LBM/B&T pl throw some light on GZ sub + enclosure.

D.kiran sorry to hijack your thread.

Cheers
MK

Original Thread (now closed):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...-pls-help.html
Old 9th January 2009, 19:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyKING View Post
I took delivery of my new blushing red 1.2 i10 on 26th Dec 2008 (separate report due).

I was reading through TeamBHP to gather together a budget ICE combination. The more I read the more confused I am. I am starting this thread a little scared of what my budget will be after a few days!

I have a system in mind:
Kenwood 6539
Kenwood KAC 8401
Bull Audio comps 6.5" for front
Bull Audio sub

I will only want comps in the front + a sub.
Nice choice of equipment there but i think it will cross your budget.

1. Kenwood 6539 - ~10K B/W appx.
2. Kenwood KAC 8401 - 5K
3. Bull Audio comps 6.5" for front - 5500 B/W
4. Bull Audio Sub - 5K b/w or if you go with enclosure ~8K b/w appx.
5. Damping - 1.5 - 2K appx.
6. Wiring - 1.5 - 2K appx.
7. Box for sub - ~1.5 appx (only if you dont buy bull enclosed subwoofer)

Also what type of music do you listen to ?

Last edited by abhibh : 9th January 2009 at 19:17.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Nice choice of equipment there but i think it will cross your budget.

2. Kenwood KAC 8401 - 5K
4. Bull Audio Sub - 5K b/w or if you go with enclosure ~8K b/w appx.
7. Box for sub - ~1.5 appx (only if you dont buy bull enclosed subwoofer)

Also what type of music do you listen to ?
abhibh, my music tastes are quite varied. Trance, pop, rock, hindi flim songs almost anything which catches the fancy.

Budget will be a ...

Cheers
MK
Old 9th January 2009, 20:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
abhibh, my music tastes are quite varied. Trance, pop, rock, hindi flim songs almost anything which catches the fancy.

Budget will be a ...

Cheers
MK
hehe there will be an increase of 5K-6K in budget if you go for the following:

2. Kenwood KAC 8401 - 5K
4. Bull Audio Sub - 5K b/w
7. Box for sub - ~1.5 appx

And you might get a discount. Though you should PM noidaboy/gunbir/jb/hellspawn for the confirmation on the prices, as i am not aware of the current pricing.

As for your music tastes i have heard bull compos with the following genres "bollywood, pop, rock".
Old 9th January 2009, 20:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
hehe there will be an increase of 5K-6K in budget if you go for the following:

2. Kenwood KAC 8401 - 5K
4. Bull Audio Sub - 5K b/w
7. Box for sub - ~1.5 appx

And you might get a discount. Though you should PM noidaboy/gunbir/jb/hellspawn for the confirmation on the prices, as i am not aware of the current pricing.

As for your music tastes i have heard bull compos with the following genres "bollywood, pop, rock".
Thanks abhibh. What about Illusion EL 6.1?

Cheers
MK
Old 9th January 2009, 23:10   #14
BHPian

EL6.1 are 7K now. But good speakers if you like laid back sound
Quote:

Cheers
MK
Old 9th January 2009, 23:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
MK
As Aditya mention they are for ~7K. That will increase the budget again by 1.5k.

Most Viewed