Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 17:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

You won't get much for the Cassette Player. 1K is optimistic IMO.

One option is to keep it.

Not sure if this would work, but you could check it out with the installer.

There are 2 slots in the Baleno dash. Install CD player in the slot that is empty. Ensure that the new CD player you buy has an Aux-in. Give the cassette player output as an input to the Aux-in. I guess the cassette player needs to have a line out.

This way you retain the option to play cassettes as well. If you attach the antenna to the cassette player and use it's radio, you retain the 'Tuner' trigger too.

But then, if you get a Kenwood HU, the antenna problem may not be present.
Old 7th January 2009, 17:59   #17
BHPian

Pioneer offers decent sound quality and features are good . have heard good about kenwood. Having used sony previously, i would say stay away from it. price difference between these three are not much. Its a good idea to not sell the cassette player.

@ shuvc: good suggestion.

Last edited by mnhegde : 7th January 2009 at 18:02.
Old 7th January 2009, 18:04   #18
BHPian

Hello. Finally i can actually be of some help.
1- 1k is not over optimistic, you can sell to one of those small shops, i was offered 1.2k, he said taxi vallas buy it. Didn't sell though, reason(forget it)
2- Got pioneer 5050ub for Rs 5700, lajpat nagar. Tried 4050 to but didn't like the look. U'll be surprised at how much sound output improves.
3- About the antenna, i cannot say since mine is not motored. Mine being the 2001 altura.
4- Shuvc's idea seems good, but it might look really bad. The 5050 is rear aux in & usb(ipod support);is a great buy. The 4050 i believe to has the same functions.
Pioneers output is much better. I personally tried kenwood & found pioneer better.
It's detachable as well, so there seems to solve all your problems. Just incase you are not interested in pioneer, as appears from your first post, you could try the sony cdx-gt470us, again less than 6k
Cheers
Old 7th January 2009, 18:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Install CD player in the slot that is empty. Ensure that the new CD player you buy has an Aux-in. Give the cassette player output as an input to the Aux-in. I guess the cassette player needs to have a line out.
Nice suggestion. Will certainly be trying out this. Will have to look into once baleno is home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Pioneer offers decent sound quality and features are good . have heard good about kenwood. Having used sony previously, i would say stay away from it. price difference between these three are not much. Its a good idea to not sell the cassette player.
Thanks for warning against Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hello. Finally i can actually be of some help.
1- 1k is not over optimistic, you can sell to one of those small shops, i was offered 1.2k, he said taxi vallas buy it. Didn't sell though, reason(forget it)
Just incase you are not interested in pioneer, as appears from your first post, you could try the sony cdx-gt470us, again less than 6k
Cheers
Again an excellent short narration of your experience. Thanks.
I was inclined on Sony, but at very few places I am getting good reviews. Also in Vadodara/baroda, they tend to charge more for sony. Happened with my friend two months ago. He was very excited about Xplod, went to market and found it to be expensive. He is still without ICE in his M800.
So sony will be last resort.

Kenwood and Pioneer, both are having good reviews from whatever google search I am making and whatever calls I am making.
Old 7th January 2009, 22:34   #20
BHPian

Bad of me to do this; before you take the plunge you do know about pioneers random feature problem na? You should know about it, even though it's not a very big deal, i was very very irritated. Take a look @ the following thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...oneer-hus.html

Otherwise a damn good company, go for the 5050ub, you won't regret it.
Personally changing the speakers(rear only) would make your experience much better but that depends on your budget
In my case i retained the front, changed rear to jbl 938. Haven't felt the need for anything else. Tc. Ciao
Old 7th January 2009, 23:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Thanks for bringing up this to my notice. Now after reading the first few initial replies, I am myself confused. And my parents wont be using the random function. Our 1995, home music system also has this random function and it does act weirdly.
I will tomorrow be inquiring for the prices and also will ask about this problem being reported or not.
Old 7th January 2009, 23:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

if you want to save cash,retain your current HU and listen to mp3's , try one of these
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...apability.html
Old 8th January 2009, 12:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you want to save cash,retain your current HU and listen to mp3's , try one of these
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...apability.html
Thanks!
Looks nice, but my dad hates pendrive to an unbelievable extent. So this is a bit tough for me to convience him, but an effort will be made. If I am able to procure this then its VFM for me and it can play a lot of data. I am having a good pedrive with me ( other is V30, the slowest on earth ), so speed wont be an issue.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:15   #24
BHPian

I have gone through two Pioneer grey market for my Baleno, changed them only for reasons of upgrade, never had any quality issues, and my HU is on about three hours a day average for last three years.
Yes the antenna trigger issue cannot be easily resolved. In the Pio, the power is supplied to the antenna the moment the HU is put on, regardless of source being used, whether tuner, CD or Aux. The only way you can cure this is to have a switch wired in series and placed anywhere convenient, so antenna will extend only when you put the switch on. I never went in for this since I did not want to fiddle with my dashboard, and after some time the antenna issue did not matter to me.
Use any Pioneer from 4050 onwards, they're great units.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Got installed Kenwood 339 from Jalaram Accessories.
Cost Rs. 4500/-.
Got on music CD, a folder to keep the warranty card, a small bag in which there was air fresher and CD pouch. Remote control in some plastic cover was done and the case to keep the panel was also given to us along with manual.

A nice experience. Sound quality has improved only just, but I think this is because of the speakers that will remain OE.

No wires cutting etc was done and the antenna will get triggered only when the Tuner mode was switched ON. When we are playing CD, the antenna was not triggered.
Got bill also.

Thanks to all whose helped in this thread and in the " Ask the Gurus " thread.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

congrats AAGO :-)
good VFM Hu
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
congrats AAGO :-)
good VFM Hu
Thanks!
If the OE speakers from Maruti would have been good, the real HU quality would come up. But this is satisfactory for us.

What is surprising is there is no stop button either on remote or on the panel. We wanted to stop that Ghulam Ali CD that we took with us for testing when we were back at home, but there we realized we didnt know how to stop the CD. A pause facility is available, but not stop.

It looks like a lot of manual reading has to be done. Out of 150 songs, if we wanted to move onto say song no. 75, we pressed 7 on remote and then 5 on remote, but the number 75 was just displayed on panel and nothing happened. We are not aware of the " enter " button here. Pushing the play button was of no use.

Its going to take some time before we get accustomed to this piece of HU, but as of now, its more than what we wanted. I was initially in favor of 5039, but then USB = Virus ( after 2.5 years of formatting PC with alarmingly regular frequency ), so avoided it. The person sitting at jalaram accessories also agreed with us and said avoid USB.

A small experience that left me embarrassing. During our Baleno crash, my uncle was not wearing seatbelts, so his head hit on front windscreen. During the procedure of replacing front windscreen, a small Ganpatiji idol fixed just at the end of instrument meter near the windscreen was removed. This time dad asked the buy fitting in the HU to take some adhesive and fit it back on the place it was previously. I was on call at that time. When I saw the guy taking away that idol, I said " its ours ". He replied " Sir asked me to fit that again " pinpointing at my dad standing at the other side of the car. This was really embarrassing.

Overall, I will, as of now, recommend jalaram accessories above car decor. IIRC, the person who runs car decor is husband of my Biology tuition teacher. This is all the information I have. At the time of our first visit to Jalaram, he quoted Rs. 5200 for this with air fresher as accessory. This time he quoted Rs. 4800. Finally dad ( not expecting the price to come down ) asked " Give me your last price, I will say yes or no ". The reply came " Rs. 4500".
Car decor quotes more than this, ate our head, etc.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 2nd February 2009 at 23:54.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

dude, HU's dont run windows(or any sort of general purpose OS) , so you dont run any risk of any virus infections in your HU
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:12   #29
BHPian

How can your HU be infected by a virus?
As for your PC a registered antivirus would have surely helped.
Anyways congrats on your Setup!
Old 3rd February 2009, 08:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
dude, HU's dont run windows(or any sort of general purpose OS) , so you dont run any risk of any virus infections in your HU
It was just that I was scared to hell, what if this goes wrong. Sometimes there were reading issues also, according to Jalaram Accessories.
I would now rather spend the same amount of on songs CD that I would have spent on getting a relatively highspeed pendrive.
Am I regretting, yes a bit, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
1) How can your HU be infected by a virus?
2) As for your PC a registered antivirus would have surely helped.
3) Anyways congrats on your Setup!
I dont know that, I was just to scared about reading issue also.
I am now using free avg since long.
Thanks! It above satisfactory as of now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks