Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 21:53   #1

ICE for Pure Music

Gurus, I would like to start off with a disclaimer that I am starting this thread with my brains at its confused best. A few months of determined reading(research) of different threads to get an ideal ICE set up for my taste has led me nowhere.

I am looking to buy a sedan in a couple of months. It would be either be the ANHC or a one year old Civic( dont find much of a difference )

Anyways, with little gyan i have gained i have set preferences. Hopefully this would help Gurus advice on a good SQ set up.

I am a hardcore Hiphop fan, Dr. Dre, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, Snoop Dogg kind of stuff (Old School)
Whatever you like - TI being current fav song
Also a huge fan of AR Rehman.
So though I like good bass and listen to music on higher volumes I am reluctant on Sub woofer. May you guys could clear it off my mind but I felt a Sub in a car always overshadowed the details of mid and higher frequencies(opinion restricted to ICE only)

Have a budget of 30 - 40k.
Dont want to compromise on the front compos( want the best)
Amplifier
Wondering if i could continue with rear speakers that are stock or get a pair of coaxs.
No compromise on Damping and Cables.
Would like to add a Sub Woofer only at later stage(if felt necessary)

I dont live around metros, bangalore being closest to my place. Can you guys also advice on a place in bangalore to get the ICE setup done professionally.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hebri? As in Udupi - Manipal - Hebri - Agumbe?

If you are into hip-hop, not having a sub would be like a fantastic meal without salt . You need a good sub in a ported enclosure. Don't worry, there are plenty available off the shelf, like JBL, Infinity, etc.

First, audition as many components as you can, preferably in cars. There is nothing called 'best' - to each his own! The range available has been talked about plenty of in the ICE section.

For a good place to go for an install, search for the thread listing installers in Bangalore. Of course, there are a couple of shops in Mangalore too.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaateva View Post
the ANHC or a one year old Civic
I am a hardcore Hiphop fan, Dr. Dre, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, Snoop Dogg AR Rehman.
So though I like good bass reluctant on Sub woofer. felt a Sub in a car always overshadowed the details of mid and higher
Have a budget of 30 - 40k.
Dont want to compromise on the front compos( want the best)
Amplifier
Wondering if i could continue with rear speakers that are stock or get a pair of coaxs.
No compromise on Damping and Cables.
Would like to add a Sub Woofer only at later stage(if felt necessary)
1. Since both cars have HUs that are tightly integrated into the dash do you want to retain your OEM HU?
2. Few components can reproduce as much bass as a good sub. A well tuned sub does not make it's presense felt you only notice it's absence.
3. For the absolutely best components out there you'd have to look at the SEAS Lotus, Focal K2, CDT, or even ScanSpeak but these components will eat up your entire 30-40K budget and more. Even these would be hard pressed to reproduce the bass of a good 10-12-15" subwoofer.
4. To drive these components you would need an equally competent amplifier think TruTech, Steg, Audison VRx, etc..

If you intend to retain your OEM HU and given your 30-40K budget I would recommend that you consider components in the 15K range like the Alpine Type R, Infinity Kappa, Rainbow SLX/CMX, Boston Pro or SL, Illusion Carbon, Morel Tempo, Focal Polyglass, CDT Audio CL series, etc..
Mate these to a good amp in the 10-15K range and spend the rest on damping and good RCA cables.

you can then add a sub, monoblock, and upgrade your rear speakers and OEM HU later.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte;1122883[B
]Hebri? As in Udupi - Manipal - Hebri - Agumbe?[/b]

Thats right son!

For a good place to go for an install, search for the thread listing installers in Bangalore. Of course, there are a couple of shops in Mangalore too.
For Mangalore: I wasnt impressed with the work done on my moms SX4...not quality oriented. I'm not taking risk this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Since both cars have HUs that are tightly integrated into the dash do you want to retain your OEM HU?
Yes Navin, unless it becomes absolutely necessary to change it. ok, thats subjective but I want to keep stuff as much original as I can.

2. Few components can reproduce as much bass as a good sub. A well tuned sub does not make it's presense felt you only notice it's absence.
This exactly why I mentioned my reluctance for sub. I shall throw it in only if the compos dont perform to my expected level.

3. For the absolutely best components out there you'd have to look at the SEAS Lotus, Focal K2, CDT, or even ScanSpeak but these components will eat up your entire 30-40K budget and more. Even these would be hard pressed to reproduce the bass of a good 10-12-15" subwoofer.
4. To drive these components you would need an equally competent amplifier think TruTech, Steg, Audison VRx, etc..

If you intend to retain your OEM HU and given your 30-40K budget I would recommend that you consider components in the 15K range like the Alpine Type R, Infinity Kappa, Rainbow SLX/CMX, Boston Pro or SL, Illusion Carbon, Morel Tempo, Focal Polyglass, CDT Audio CL series, etc..
Mate these to a good amp in the 10-15K range and spend the rest on damping and good RCA cables.

you can then add a sub, monoblock, and upgrade your rear speakers and OEM HU later.
Thats how I had planned it after 500pages of gyan. Only wanted to confirm it with the Gurus.
Now I will try auditioning a few components to narrow down my choice.
Top importance for Components and Amplifier.
Old 10th January 2009, 10:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaateva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hebri? As in Udupi - Manipal - Hebri - Agumbe?
Thats right son!

Oh man, that's a good one! Hadn't heard that in a long while!!!
Old 10th January 2009, 17:47   #6

Say a Illusion, Hertz, Infinity or the Aplines, can I audition them in shops in B'lore or wil I have to do a search of T - BHPians who have them fit on their cars.
Old 10th January 2009, 20:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mix of both.

Illusion: Contact @s0uljah, he has Illusions in his car
Infinity: Sound Factor, Lavelle Road, but doubt if they would have the Kappas on demo
Hertz: Sprocket Koramangala, but they don't demo
Alpines: Maybe some installers like EVO (@blueraven) or Auto Fusion (Koramangala, near Kora club)
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:13   #8

Re: ICE for Pure SQ

Hi Guys!!

Me has been blissfully having fun with Focal coaxials (Four of 'em) on my ANHC. And now I'm looking to do a two stage upgrade in my ICE.

Me chose not to go for components because I didnt want to tinker with the interiors. however, I'm extremely happy with how the speaker sound now.

Being greedy, I want to add an Amp and then a Sub. I know the wiring for the HU in the ANHC is a li'l tricky.

My main concern would be a good amplified continuation of Focals crisp beautiful sound quality.

what could I marry the speaker with?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks