Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 19:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )

The MPR-999 just arrived in my mail today, from Portugal.

Hehehe guys!
Don't jump out of your seats yet! Its not a high end amplifier, or some high fundu head unit!
LOL!
But its something that has been debated over for a while, and no one has actually given it a go!
its the MPR-999 Universal Learning Steering Remote Control that was spoken about here, and has 2-3 threads dedicated to it.
Well, for all of you who don't know what we're speaking of, we all have been looking for a steering remote control for our Alpines and JVCs and Kenwood head units for adjusting the volume and changing tracks on the go, muting the head unit in the case of a phone call, and for other small things that we might want to do on the fly.
Till now, there was no proven source for a product like this, and I was used to using a Steering remote with my Pioneer 7950Ub head unit, which is available in all audo markets(the SR-100). So i HAD to get a steering remote for my Alpine too!

Anyways, back to the MPR-999. I decided to take the plunge and order the Remote from Ebay Usa on the 31st of December after verifying a lot of facts with the buyer.
Fast Forward 15 days, and its here in the mail. Didn't have to pay duty for it. It looks blocky, but better than in the pics. Sturdy, good build and easy installation. Came with its own pair of AAA batteries, and an instruction manual.

Well, the question that all of you'll are dying to ask! Does it work??
Hell yeah, it does! Making it learn the instructions from the Alpine remote was very simple. Just press a sequence of buttons on the Learning remote, then press the button on the remote you wish to map, and then point the 2 remotes and press the original button on the Alpine remote. Very simple!
The button press is registered well, and the cool blue backlight lights up everytime one uses the remote. Range is pretty good, considering it works even when the steering is turned to the right. All in all, a nice solution to all problems. End of story, and I'm happy.

Highly recommended, and the seller on ebay is Worldwide Sounds. Works great, and my quest for a steering remote is over, finally!

PICtures!
Attached Thumbnails
The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000480-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000481-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000485-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000484-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000477-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000478-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000479-desktop-resolution.jpg  

The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control )-p1000471-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 14th January 2009, 20:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

grr you should have pm'd me. we could have split the shipping!
methinks I think I'll make this next month's upgrade
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...l-one-too.html the discussion link for everyone else
PS , why not the dedicated one ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th January 2009 at 20:06.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This is surely god news for all non pio users i guess! i think this is the same thing that greenhorn wanted to try out a while back.

EDIT: Just saw GH's post now!!
Old 14th January 2009, 20:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hell yeah, it does! Making it learn the instructions from the Alpine remote was very simple. Just press a sequence of buttons on the Learning remote, then press the button on the remote you wish to map, and then point the 2 remotes and press the original button on the Alpine remote. Very simple!
The button press is registered well, and the cool blue backlight lights up everytime one uses the remote.
PICtures!
So does this mean you have to have the original remote for your alpine HU to make this one 'learn' the functions?

So if my HU didn't come with one, I need to find someone who has a rem0te that connects to my HU and program this steering mounted one using that?
Old 14th January 2009, 20:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
grr you should have pm'd me. we could have split the shipping!
methinks I think I'll make this next month's upgrade
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...l-one-too.html the discussion link for everyone else
PS , why not the dedicated one ?
the shipping was nothing! and they charge for individual items, so group shipping doesnt make a difference.
why not the dedicated one? because if ever i wish to upgrade my head unit or use this in another car, then i can use it. its ideal, works anywhere, on any Hu. even generic HUs! thats why! my next HU will be an eclipse or a clarion and this works with everything under the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Wow! This is surely god news for all non pio users i guess! i think this is the same thing that greenhorn wanted to try out a while back.

EDIT: Just saw GH's post now!!
yea, but its a slightly more advanced model. its the mpr999. GH spoke of the TS 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
So does this mean you have to have the original remote for your alpine HU to make this one 'learn' the functions?

So if my HU didn't come with one, I need to find someone who has a rem0te that connects to my HU and program this steering mounted one using that?
yea suhail, you do need the oringal remote. borrow mine and do it na. or borrow from anyone in pune and return. you will never need it!
Old 14th January 2009, 20:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

yea suhail, you do need the oringal remote. borrow mine and do it na. or borrow from anyone in pune and return. you will never need it!
I have a better idea - borrow from someone in Pune and don't return it!!
Oh Kiiiiiran!! Can I 'borrow' your remote please?

Old 14th January 2009, 21:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

frank isn't its a old thing now i had seen some universal remote in agra it was for 1400/- or so
Old 14th January 2009, 21:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

the ad specifically states "Combined Postage Discounts -Please ask for more details"
and shipping is 5.50GBP + 1GBP per additional Thats why

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th January 2009 at 21:24.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks frankmehta - that is a terrific post! I've ordered mine.

Thanks once again for sharing!
Old 14th January 2009, 21:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great News! love the illumination!
Old 14th January 2009, 22:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great Buy, Doc! Good of you to post the info with pictures and details. The illumination is definitely a plus (I don't think any of the regular steering remotes come with illumination).
Old 14th January 2009, 23:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
frank isn't its a old thing now i had seen some universal remote in agra it was for 1400/- or so
no one on tbhp had it, really didnt know about it. are you sure its a steering remote? dunno then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the ad specifically states "Combined Postage Discounts -Please ask for more details"
and shipping is 5.50GBP + 1GBP per additional Thats why
i thought no one would be mad enough to take the plunge with me.. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thanks frankmehta - that is a terrific post! I've ordered mine.

Thanks once again for sharing!
oh thats really really great! please tell us when you get it. i think this is one of the few sellers in the world stocking this wonderful remote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Great News! love the illumination!
true, i never thought it would be so darn bright. anyways, have mapped both sets of buttons(the top row and the bottom row) to the same controls, volume, track change etc. and the middle button is play/pause/ the ENT button is still unused. will put it to good use later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Great Buy, Doc! Good of you to post the info with pictures and details. The illumination is definitely a plus (I don't think any of the regular steering remotes come with illumination).
thank you! lets arrange a GO on tbhp and see how many ppl want it. then we can bully the company into giving us a discount :-)
Old 14th January 2009, 23:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i thought no one would be mad enough to take the plunge with me.. lol!
I guess the savings wouldnt have amounted to much anyway
Did you use any ebay coupons when buying ?
Quote:
thank you! lets arrange a GO on tbhp and see how many ppl want it. then we can bully the company into giving us a discount :-)
I tried organizing a GO in the classsifieds , but the ad got deleted :( hope you have better luck!
Old 14th January 2009, 23:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

naah! didnt use coupons. coupons work only for ebay.in, not ebay.com

about the GO, one doesnt need to post in classifieds. let it spread by word of mouth :-p.
Old 15th January 2009, 12:25   #15
BHPian

Glad to hear that this product actually works. Have been wanting one for me alpine HUs for the last 5 years. Now I shall get it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks