Team-BHP - Skoda Vrs -right channel not working on ipod
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Skoda Vrs -right channel not working on ipod (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/52162-skoda-vrs-right-channel-not-working-ipod.html)

The Equipment

Stock Vrs Alpine HU + Infnitiy components in front + infinity 4 channel amp + infinity sub + Harmann Kardon Drive Play for the ipod connected directly to the HU via specific alpine cable

The Problem

Works well with CD and FM Radio. When I switch to Aux 1 for the ipod, the right side is dead, not totally, some low frequency sounds if I turn the volume high

What could be the problem?

was it working before or has it always been like that? I'm suspecting a loose connection on the ipod dock.

Also, which songs are you listening to? Stereo or mono. If it's an old recording in mono then one side will not work. Just a guess.

Adding to vidyut's suggestion, it could also be that the jack connecting the H-K's output to the HU's input (behind the HU) is loose or pulled-out.

The place where the signal comes in must be where the issue lies (if not at the output end of the H-K).

Try fiddling with the cable;that solved it in my case. Sometimes not forcing it all the way in helps.

It looks like a classic case of poor connection.
Either your cable is not inserted properly;
The audio connector(the hole which outputs the audio) in the ipod has gone bad;
The cable connecting the ipod to the HU has gone bad/ or has a loose contact

Try a new stereo cable, see if it works, if not then something to do with the player's aux input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueraven316 (Post 1135781)
Try a new stereo cable, see if it works, if not then something to do with the player's aux input.

Took it to JBL who did the original fitting.

Changed cables - no joy
Changed HK control unit - no joy
Changed ipod - no joy

Need to change HU which means the drive + play might be redundant...I also need to get some vitamin M :Frustrati

Try connecting the Ipod directly to the HU or any other source to check the HU properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1136415)
Need to change HU which means the drive + play might be redundant...I also need to get some vitamin M :Frustrati

Although its possible, the chances of the head unit being the culprit in such a scenario is quite rare.

As LBM suggests try some other source, and also try changing the proprietory cable that runs to the Alpine from the Drive + Play. I am assuming the JBL fellows didn't try that.

Even if that doesnt work, it should be possible to fix the contact inside the HU. A new is not the correct solution.

I am using a KCA 420i adapter.
Works well with the Stock HU.
Only thing is its a bit tedious to search songs 'coz its slow and especially when your ipod is full.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1136415)
Took it to JBL who did the original fitting.

Changed cables - no joy
Changed HK control unit - no joy
Changed ipod - no joy

Take help from Blueraven or Autofusion. You don't need to replace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 (Post 1136427)
Only thing is its a bit tedious to search songs 'coz its slow and especially when your ipod is full.

I usually cue up the album i want to listen to before i hook up the ipod to the car stereo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 1136425)
also try changing the proprietory cable that runs to the Alpine from the Drive + Play. I am assuming the JBL fellows didn't try that.

Me suspect this cable too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 1135533)
that the jack connecting the H-K's output to the HU's input (behind the HU) is loose or pulled-out.

The place where the signal comes in must be where the issue lies (if not at the output end of the H-K).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 1136425)
Although its possible, the chances of the head unit being the culprit in such a scenario is quite rare.

A new is not the correct solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 1136430)
Take help from Blueraven or Autofusion. You don't need to replace.

So I spoke to Satya/ Blueraven who offered to take a look. They connected the i-pod directly to the alpine ai-net/RCA cable to the HU and there was no problem. Only issue was that I had a redundant driveplay unit and big wires from the ipod to the HU - not too tidy.

So it was either the H-K drive play or something else. That something else turned out to be the cable from the ipod to the HU control unit. My Swift has a similar HK unit ruined by an incompetent Suraksha mechanic. At home. I removed the cable and substituted this in the Skoda and it worked.

Further innovated the wiring so that the Ipod sits under the head unit and does not flop around the transmission tunnel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1135496)
not totally, some low frequency sounds if I turn the volume high

glad your porblem was resolved. Now you need to completely resolve the problem of crosstalk! :-) ha ha see there is no end to ICE.