Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 23:59   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
He can always throw them at the back and get bigger ones for the front.
I don't think there's a need for it. He is getting a sub woofer which will handle the lower midbass range. And 2 6.5" in the door will kick the midbass range!
I think he is going in the right direction for now with what he has in hand. No need to spend extra money on more speakers. Better get a good amp instead.

Rear soundstage is not at all needed in this kind of a car.
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
I went as far as registering there - only I could never understand what anyone there was saying I'm not an idiot, but that place gave me 145 questions for every answer I got! Its going to be a while before I feel comfortable with car audio lol.

Thanks for the input guys! Progress will be slow but I will certainly update you in the future.
DIYMA is like that

This may be of help in deciding how you want to set up your front stage and lay out your amps

CDT 3 way components in corvette Stage Question - DIY Mobile Audio

2008 C6 Corvette Install for you guys - DIY Mobile Audio

I think it may be a good idea to put the tweeters in the A-pillars. Dont know if the Vanadium mid will fit in the stock 3.5" location though. Also liked the amp and sub layout in the 2nd thread.

since your remaining budget is $400 - you might want to consider a 2 stage upgrade as Hydra suggested, get a 4 channel amp to run the front stage initially. The Vanadium has 2 sets of crossovers (at least in the one I saw), one for the mid and another for the midbass+tweeter, so you can actually use all 4 channels - it will be sort of a passive biamping....
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:20   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I just feel "there's no replacement for displacement" with speakers too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I don't think there's a need for it. He is getting a sub woofer which will handle the lower midbass range.

No need to spend extra money on more speakers. Better get a good amp instead.
Sure Zak, since there is a budget (why, oh Lord, do you limit our budgets!) and by all account the speakers he has are quite capable he could go in for a good sub and amp at this stage. If however it is felt that he could use more bass upfront he could then upgrade the 6" 2 way to a 8" 3 way and use the 6" 2 way for the rear fill (a bit overkill considering the reputation that these speakers enjoy).

In the end, assuming that all other parameters are equal, there IS no replacement for displacement. At the same time I should add that I have not been too happy with the new bread of super big Xmax drivers (20mm+). These drivers have heavy cones and horrible suspensions and this to me kills the music. I should add that I have not heard all such drivers so there might be an exception.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I want to put in Rainbow CS 365 Vanadium components
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If however it is felt that he could use more bass upfront he could then upgrade the 6" 2 way to a 8" 3 way and use the 6" 2 way for the rear fill (a bit overkill considering the reputation that these speakers enjoy).
Sir, the Vanadium CS365 is a 3-way component set to the best of my knowledge.

1. If he wants to upgrade to a 8" 3-way set, then I guess he could relegate the CS365 to the rear by buying the crossover set for the CS265 but that would waste the midrange drivers in the component set.
2. He could also buy a set of 8" midbasses (again, dont know if Rainbow has any) and try running them off the CS365 passive network but not sure what kind of results that would bring.
3. An active front stage of course, opens up many options but would require processing for 4-way frequency division and presumably TA/EQ too (3-way if he can live without subs)

Would certainly agree on the advantage of bigger midbasses though...wish my car doors would allow it
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:22   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Sir, the Vanadium CS365 is a 3-way component set to the best of my knowledge.
Ooops. My bad. I assumed that since the owner mentioned 2 way it would be 2 way.

In any case I do not suggest wasting these components since he has them.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:53   #36
BHPian

Ok saying this after asking so many questions is going to sound rather stupid, but I ask so that I don't waste a nice set of speakers.

I bought these speakers months ago and they're just sitting there in the box - unopened. I didnt realize that they were premium quality stuff.

However, after going for a drive today, I realized that installing them in my car may be a total waste. The engine alone is loud. You can hear it coming from half a mile away and you can easily feel the vibrations inside the house if the car is idling outside. And this is 100% stock. There is no way to quieten this beast, it truly is an all-american no-frills muscle car.

I'm sorry the video is so cheesy. It's not my car, but mine is the very same. I think think it demonstrates the point very well. Keep in mind that the low frequencies are not being captured AT ALL. The car also noise in the 40-100Hz range when idling. I'll try to get some decent quality recordings tomorrow and get rid of this tacky video.

Last edited by Atlblkz06 : 22nd January 2009 at 11:58.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't waste a nice set of speakers.
I realized that installing them in my car may be a total waste.
There is no way to quieten this beast
The car also noise in the 40-100Hz range when idling.
There is a way...see
2008 C6 Corvette Install for you guys - DIY Mobile Audio
or
2004Z06's 2006 Chevrolet Corvette on CarDomain - Page 2

It does require a lot of damping and sound absorbing treatment but it can be done.

You can even get custom subwoofer moulds from MTX or JL
JL Audio: Products

way back in the 80s my boss had a 'vette and we stuck in 3 12" woofers powered by Harman Kardon amps. Yes the whole rear glass would vibrate with every beat of the rap music he listened to but we also managed to deaden the car quite a bit using copious ammounts of Dynamat (we need 2 and sometimes even 3 layers, Dynamat Extreme did not even exist then).
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
way back in the 80s my boss had a 'vette and we stuck in 3 12" woofers powered by Harman Kardon amps. Yes the whole rear glass would vibrate with every beat of the rap music he listened to but we also managed to deaden the car quite a bit using copious ammounts of Dynamat (we need 2 and sometimes even 3 layers, Dynamat Extreme did not even exist then).
Thanks, Navin. Yes, you're right. I gotta make this happen! It's going to feel good to have my cake and eat it too When I'm done I'm gonna have to add a CAI and headers to help with the weight of the mods

I'm definitely one of those crazy guys that drive around going "boom boom boom". I think that's tasteless and lame! You'd probably catch me listening to something like this:

Rock+ : NIN, Ozzy, Metallica, Apocalyptica, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains.
Classical: Debussy, Handel, Vivaldi, and Pachelbel and Chinese classical music
Rap: I like very old school RAP from the 80s. I do like Tupac and BIG. I think anything newer is just pure crap.
Instrumental: I am an amateur tabla player and have much appreciation for Indian classical music. I frequently listen to instrumental concerts.
I dont listen to filmi stuff at all. (Flame suit on? lol)

NIN - "Everyday is exactly the same" - best song ever, both lyrics and music wise. The song makes awesome use of 5/4 time signature.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd January 2009 at 13:26. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed, please get acquainted with board rules
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You'd probably catch me listening to something like this:

Rock+ : NIN, Ozzy, Metallica, Apocalyptica, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains.
Classical: Debussy, Handel, Vivaldi, and Pachelbel and Chinese classical music
Rap: I like very old school RAP from the 80s. I do like Tupac and BIG. I think anything newer is just pure crap.
Instrumental: I am an amateur tabla player and have much appreciation for Indian classical music. I frequently listen to instrumental concerts.
I dont listen to filmi stuff at all. (Flame suit on? lol)

NIN - "Everyday is exactly the same" - best song ever, both lyrics and music wise. The song makes awesome use of 5/4 time signature.
Ahh! I'm glad the Vanadiums are in good hands. Did you get the regular version or the "KICK" version?

x2 @ Old Skool's where it's at. Everything since is recycled trash... Some of the newer stuff that's being churned out now is just appaling.

Most Viewed