Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 22:18   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I stand corrected, then The 10" drivers in front -- tough to call them mid-basses at that size -- are a rare size indeed for front speakers!

The 10" & 3.5" (and a crossover somewhere in there) together are what make up the 2-way component system. The 5.25" rears must be full-range speakers.

How fares the budget? If you can't up it right now, I'd suggest getting a 4-ch amp for the full $400. You can use it with the Rainbows for a while (in 2-channel config) and then get the Sub a bit later, and run the amp in front + sub style (front channels feeding the Rainbows, rear channels feeding the Sub).

BTW, you'll need to spend a bit of money on power wiring and RCA cords when you buy the amp. Should run to $100 or so.
I was quite surprised by the weird speaker size as well. You're correct - I remember seeing pictures of a crossover in the door. I guess the rears are full range - but the quality of sound reminds me of AM radio lol.

Well I need to get the rainbows custom mounted in there. A friend of mine has the expertise but finding a suitable time has been difficult. Since he's doing me a favor I cant really push him lol. I don't think this will happen for another 2 months - and that'll be enough time to muster up some funds

The good news is that my battery is only about 3 feet away from where the amp will be so I wont have to run too much heavy duty wiring. I've posted a picture below.

I want to run 2 separate amps anyway. That's a good idea - I can but an amp and install the speakers first, and put in a sub+ amp later.

Thanks a ton! I'm finally getting a good mental image of how this is going to work. Your avatar says a lot, but do you work on audio for a living?
Attached Thumbnails
Sub and Amp recommendations for Rainbow components?-location.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 04:38   #17
BANNED

Hydra works audio! He also eats it, drinks it, drives it and also goes to bed with it. And whenever he earns some money from other meaningless things he does in his life in the name of bread and butter, he blows whole of it on Cds, movies, phones, speakers, amps, gadgets, guns, magazines, gals and booze!
Last seen, he was found in a questionable position with some dynamic images sourced from alpines with balls of steel!

Man! Jokes apart, Hydra (as we friends call him) is a true audio nut who also happens to be stuck in the world of accounts and running his own publishing business. He was blessed to be born with a pair of golden ears, a very calm mind, spectacles and full sleeved shirts. His love for technology, gadgets, music and cars etc.. is simply not measurable. It's not at all possible to be with him for 15 minutes and avoid speaking about music and audio.
Unfortunately, he doesn't drink (you know, those alcoholic thingys) and regarding gals, I seriously dunno! :(
[Runs for cover before his wife pushes me into a well]

@Atlblkz....
Interesting car! Very interesting audio too.
I like your choice of audio equipment. Would be a very nice project to work upon. Wish you all the best!
Keep us updated.
Old 21st January 2009, 09:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

1) Pioneer USA - In-Dash Navigation doesnt 5.1 out? It will need extrenal sound processor. You already got the stock replaced?

2) Hydra: why not IDQ?
Old 21st January 2009, 10:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

*blushing*, Zakko, you exaggerate! There are a lot of folks here who really know music, I am just an amateur. But you just made my day

@jk, IDQ all the way! Stopped at ID because of budget constraints.

@Atlblkz06, yep, go in stages! So the battery is in the back? Verrrrrrry convenient!
Old 21st January 2009, 10:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
*blushing*, Zakko, you exaggerate! There are a lot of folks here who really know music, I am just an amateur. But you just made my day

@jk, IDQ all the way! Stopped at ID because of budget constraints.

@Atlblkz06, yep, go in stages! So the battery is in the back? Verrrrrrry convenient!
Not much of a difference right?

And Corvette plays all directly from HU?
Old 21st January 2009, 10:22   #21
BHPian

Humility is the mark of a true guru. Congrats Hydra you've passed all the tests lol
Yea I'm excited about the battery back there lol. It's there to improve weight distribution apparently.I think it makes more sense to have it somewhre close to the center of mass, but oh well.

Jkdas: I noticed that the nav had an option for 5.1 in the menus so I assumed it had decoding and splitting capability. I'm really not sure though.

So did you guys like my picture? lol
Old 21st January 2009, 13:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

The only 8" 2-way component that I would highly recommend is the Illusion Carbon.
I don't know if you can source it in the US.
But, you should definitely consider this.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I would highly recommend is the Illusion Carbon.But, you should definitely consider this.
I thought he already had Rainbow components on his mind.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I thought he already had Rainbow components on his mind.
It is always helps if you are open to options.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:55   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is always helps if you are open to options.
Sorry I misunderstood.

I was under the impression that AltBlkz06 had already got Rainbow CS 365 Vanadium components and was now only looking for a sub and amp.
Old 21st January 2009, 18:23   #26
BANNED

Missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
It was a decision made for me mostly. I have already spent the money on the 6.5"s because I heard from reliable sources that the midbass was excellent.
Did somebody miss this part of his post?
He has already spent money on 6.5" components. And an excellent choice of speakers they are.
Old 21st January 2009, 19:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yo can also check out the Setup in a member's TT for reference

Audi TT ICE Setup

He might be able to help you out with his experience.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:31   #28
BHPian

The Midbass of the rainbow vanadium is killer. The best ive heard..
Old 21st January 2009, 23:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Did somebody miss this part of his post?
He has already spent money on 6.5" components. And an excellent choice of speakers they are.
He can always throw them at the back and get bigger ones for the front.
I just feel "there's no replacement for displacement" with speakers too.
Guys like me on here use 6.5" drivers in cars which have only provisions for 4".
So, with a 10" provision in the door, using 6.5s in them is something our hearts can't take.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
He can always throw them at the back and get bigger ones for the front.
I just feel "there's no replacement for displacement" with speakers too.
Guys like me on here use 6.5" drivers in cars which have only provisions for 4".
So, with a 10" provision in the door, using 6.5s in them is something our hearts can't take.
Take an example of Safari 2.2 and Safari 3.0 or Logan 1.5 and Swift D 1.3 or Hyundai Verna and Hyundai Elantra

Most Viewed