Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:37   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade on Aveo U-VA

I just got some upgrades on my U-VA. The setup now is:

Front - JBL GTO607C - 6 1/2" components in the doors
Rear - Nippon 6" speakers (standard stock came with the car in front, moved to tray on the back)
HU - factory-fitted Nippon - rated 55 x 4

For a day I was driving a 4" speaker set in the rear fills. Sounded good. Now that I have switched to 6" on the back on tray, I feel the punch has reduced a little. I know I need an amp to drive the components. But the amp has to wait a bit. Is it that the 6" at the back are 'pulling' power from the HU and does not give sufficient drive to the front JBL components? Any suggestions?
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

check the phase of the rear speakers relative to the front.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:16   #3
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance - but how do I check the phase? Would I need to open up the cabling? or is there a way to find out by 'listening' to them?
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check the fader is what i think Navin Ji meant.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Check the fader is what i think Navin Ji meant.
I think is the polarity of the Speaker connection.

The positive signal output from the HU should go iinto the positive input terminal of the Crossover and similarly for the Negative signal to the negative input.

If this is reversed with respect to the front or between the rear speakers, there is chance of the bass getting cancelled out and will sound hollow.

There are some polarity checking tracks available. Try Google!
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try fading fully to the front or back and see if the bass response is better. If yes, the polarity is mismatched and the bass is cancelling out.
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:18   #7
BHPian

I figured. I downloaded some test tracks to check the setup. Apparently it does pass the 'Phase test' tracks as it should. I then went on to change the Bass/Treble settings on my HU. I had them pumped up a little earlier. I put everything on flat and now my system sounds much better. I think the HU Bass/Treble settings were not letting the component crossover do its work properly!

The stock Nippon 6" at the rear sound great and I did not lose out on any boot space either!

For those who are skeptical about 6.5" components fitting in the front of an Aveo U-VA - I have them. I'd be glad to offer suggestions.

Now I only need an amp because the components are under-driven right now.
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandan View Post
I think is the polarity of the Speaker connection.
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
it does pass the 'Phase test' tracks as it should.

I think the HU Bass/Treble settings were not letting the component crossover do its work properly!
if your components pass the phase test it is good.

the HU's bass and treble settings are not realted to the XO of the components. Maybe the T/S parameters of the components were such that to sound flat they needed a bit of boost.

Anyway you happy. we Happy.
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:08   #9
BHPian

Looking at what I have, can someone suggest an amp for my setup? If I go for a 4-channel amp right now, I can use it if I want to add a subwoofer later- right? So, any suggestions on either a 2-channel or a 4-channel amp?
Old 4th February 2009, 09:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I go for a 4-channel amp right now, I can use it if I want to add a subwoofer later- right?
Look at the Pio 6300/Kenwood 8404/JBL GT5 etc.. they all cost about 6-7K
Old 16th March 2009, 11:36   #11
BHPian

Update

Just a quick update on an additon.

I got the Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special Mk II installed on my car. The amp is powering the front JBL components right now. My stock HU (Nippon) only has a single RCA out which is being used to feed the amp.

I am now looking to add a subwoofer to the install. I suppose this calls for an HU upgrade (with at least 2 but ideally 3 RCA outs), right?

I am leaning towards Kenwood or Pioneer for HU - any suggestions with approx prices?

Also, what about the sub bit? Bear in mind that my city has plenty of JBL, Blaupunkt or Sony (I stay away from that!) available. Other brands would be had to come by. I'm looking at a 10" or a 12" in a sealed box. Suggestions please.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I got the Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special Mk II installed on my car. The amp is powering the front JBL components right now. My stock HU (Nippon) only has a single RCA out which is being used to feed the amp.

I am now looking to add a subwoofer to the install. I suppose this calls for an HU upgrade (with at least 2 but ideally 3 RCA outs), right?

I am leaning towards Kenwood or Pioneer for HU - any suggestions with approx prices?

Also, what about the sub bit? Bear in mind that my city has plenty of JBL, Blaupunkt or Sony (I stay away from that!) available. Other brands would be had to come by. I'm looking at a 10" or a 12" in a sealed box. Suggestions please.
Go through my thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...se-xa1000.html

Your requirements are very much similar to mine. I would suugest to go with Kenwood 6539 rather than Pio 5050 .
Old 16th March 2009, 12:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Here is my install -
1. Car

Honda City ZX Gxi

2. What is your existing setup (HEADUNITS, SPEAKERS, AMPS, DSP,SW etc.)

Head unit : Pioneer 5050 UB
Front comps: iD CTX 6.5
Rear Speakers : JBL GTO 937
Sub Woofer: JBL CS1204T Bass Tube
AMPS: Blaupunkt GT4 MKII (4 ch), Eclipse XA-1000 (Mono)
Wiring: Bull 4 GA Amp Kit, Kicker Speaker and woofer cable & Audison Power distribution block

3. How much did it cost ?

Head unit : Rs. 5k (After exchanging stock HU)
Front comps: Rs. 13.9k
Rear Speakers : Rs. 3k
Sub Woofer: Rs. 5k
AMPS: Rs. 6k (4 ch.)
Rs. 8k (Mono- got it from US)
Wiring & Install : Rs. 13k
Damping : Rs. 3.2k

Total around 55k

4. What kind of music do you listen to ?

Bollywood, Instrumental, Ghazals, Punjabi

5. Would you recommend it to others???

Recommend to audition before installing anything, leaving back your perception.

Go through my thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...se-xa1000.html

Your requirements are very much similar to mine. I would suugest to go with Kenwood 6539 rather than Pio 5050 .
Old 18th March 2009, 16:27   #14
BHPian

HU upgrade help

I am inclined to buy a Clarion HU for my upgrade. While I was trying to source the DXZ785USB from US - I don't it will be possible to get it. However, I have found a source to get DXZ585USB. The only difference I can see in the features is that while the 785 has TA, the 585 does not.

Any thoughts?
Old 18th March 2009, 16:48   #15
BHPian

TA is a very important feature AFAIK. Try sourcing a 785,many of the fellow bhpians are sourcing it from US, it is available in amazon.com.

Most Viewed