Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 11:49   #16
BHPian

Thanks,

Any Polo owner has done modifications to add USB port?
Old 15th October 2010, 02:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
It would be difficult to do that on the stock HU. One alternative is to buy an FM transmitter which will fit into the cigarette lighter socket. There are a lot available, cheaper ones on eBay. Or branded ones like this. Works well.
Logitec USB FM Transmitter
USB FM transmitter information that you shared sounds interesting! Is this just plug and play or we need to sync this to HU to get output from the speakers? I have a sony explode without USB and with audio jack instead. I Installed this in my car way back in 2006 and those days USB based devices were quite expensive. But i felt this transmitter to be cheaper option than replacing HU.

I also had one more query - I own a WagonR and to browse ipod option it becomes difficult when i am driving. Do we have any accessory available in the market through which i can browse ipod easily when i am driving. For eg: accessory which can be mounted on steering, dashboard etc. (Sorry if i sound silly)
Old 15th October 2010, 14:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
USB FM transmitter information that you shared sounds interesting! Is this just plug and play or we need to sync this to HU to get output from the speakers? I have a sony explode without USB and with audio jack instead. I Installed this in my car way back in 2006 and those days USB based devices were quite expensive. But i felt this transmitter to be cheaper option than replacing HU.

I also had one more query - I own a WagonR and to browse ipod option it becomes difficult when i am driving. Do we have any accessory available in the market through which i can browse ipod easily when i am driving. For eg: accessory which can be mounted on steering, dashboard etc. (Sorry if i sound silly)
I never got what you meant by syncing. Follow the below steps to get the sound

1) Plugin the device to the cigarette lighter socket. I've found such devices for around Rs. 200 in eBay (eBay India: CAR FM MODULATOR & TRANSMITTER MP3 WITH REMOTE MP 3 (item 180572522367 end time 15-Oct-2010 16:55:00 IST))
2) Tune the FM tuner of the HU to the device frequency (most such devices have selectable frequency)
3) Plug-in the USB drive to the device and enjoy music

Between I use the FM transmitter available on my Nokia N79 to hear the songs saved on my mobile.

Regarding iPod controls, check this - Scosche IPNRFC Car Wireless RF Remote Control for iPod - eBay (item 350249090438 end time Oct-30-10 11:07:50 PDT). But this is from eBay USA. You can check whether the seller ships internationally.
Old 15th October 2010, 16:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I never got what you meant by syncing. Follow the below steps to get the sound

1) Plugin the device to the cigarette lighter socket. I've found such devices for around Rs. 200 in eBay (eBay India: CAR FM MODULATOR & TRANSMITTER MP3 WITH REMOTE MP 3 (item 180572522367 end time 15-Oct-2010 16:55:00 IST))
2) Tune the FM tuner of the HU to the device frequency (most such devices have selectable frequency)
3) Plug-in the USB drive to the device and enjoy music

Between I use the FM transmitter available on my Nokia N79 to hear the songs saved on my mobile.
sorry if i sounded confusing. By Sync what i meant was whether you need to connect the device to HU through wires.
I was so impressed with technology you mentioned above quite impulsively i confirmed the order on ebay india . I paid Rs. 259 including shipping cost. I also wanted by ipod control accessory from ebay USA but first me first check the international shipping clause with dealer.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 15th October 2010, 19:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding iPod controls, check this - Scosche IPNRFC Car Wireless RF Remote Control for iPod - eBay (item 350249090438 end time Oct-30-10 11:07:50 PDT). But this is from eBay USA. You can check whether the seller ships internationally.
I checked whether this seller ships internationally. Unfortunately he does not ship outside of US and Canada. I also searched on eBay for other sellers who listed this product. But i think this is the only seller who listed the product as of now. I request help from you guys to direct me if it is available online elsewhere or also help me with dealers in bangalore who sells this product. Though this product is expensive i dont mind buying since i was looking for something like this from a very long time. i would quickly grab if its available
Old 16th October 2010, 18:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

@lazybrain, at a pinch you can do with a mobile phone holder which mounts on the windshield or dash (there are some economical ones that mount on the AC grill). The Scosche remote device isn't going to give you a heads-up display (for that you need the Harman Kardon D&P unit) for you to confirm from the iPod screen. Mounting the iPod conveniently near either side of the steering wheel should at least give you the familiar interface close at hand.
Old 16th October 2010, 23:26   #22
BHPian

i already tried the mobile holder option long back on my dashboard. I felt it was of very poor quality (already purchased 3 pieces from JC Road, thought it was local make - Got fed up finally) i experienced that in a very short time say in a month or two it used to get detached from the dashboard making it difficult to attach back due to loss of adhesiveness.
Old 18th October 2010, 18:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The Scosche remote device isn't going to give you a heads-up display (for that you need the Harman Kardon D&P unit) for you to confirm from the iPod screen.
I was just researching on Harmon Kardon D&P unit. i enquired about this device with Harmon Kardon retailer in bangalore (off Double road). I got a shock of my life when he told me it costs Rs. 7999 plus tax. Definitely i cant afford such an expensive device. Then i tried searching the item on ebay, US most of the sellers dont ship outside US. The only seller who will ship to India is the dealer from Australia. Please see the details below:

NEW HARMAN KARDON DRIVE + PLAY - TEXT DISPLAY - DP1EU - eBay (item 110595934915 end time Nov-06-10 19:12:27 PDT)

This option is quite cheaper since it is costing only 33.98 AUD which is approximately Rs. 1482 compared to Rs. 7999 which we are getting in India. But i am really scared to buy this online since i never had any experience buying the products from ebay internationally especially from Australia since i am not sure about the quality of product. Did anyone had any such similar experience getting product shipped from Australia to India via ebay? Please help on the details and any feedback?
Old 19th October 2010, 10:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I checked whether this seller ships internationally. Unfortunately he does not ship outside of US and Canada. I also searched on eBay for other sellers who listed this product. But i think this is the only seller who listed the product as of now. I request help from you guys to direct me if it is available online elsewhere or also help me with dealers in bangalore who sells this product. Though this product is expensive i dont mind buying since i was looking for something like this from a very long time. i would quickly grab if its available
There is another option to buy from sellers who don't ship internationally. You can login to this site. ICC World. What they do is they will purchase the item with a local address in US and then ship from there. But make sure you get the price quote from them before buying. I've bought a Creative Audigy 2 for my home theater plan from these people. Shipping took around 15 days. But was a good experience.
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:38   #26
BHPian

USB/iPod support for Nippon NSCR 03 HU

Hi
I have a Ritz Zxi with the Nippon NSCR 03 HU without a USB port.
Was trying to explore options of being able to connect a USB drive directly to it (Aux is too hissy, don't want the FM option either, plus neither would allow you to use the steering mounted controls).

The solution is to connect a USB interface kit using the 8 pin CD changer socket at the back of the HU .. something like this product below.

Amazon.com: Car Digital Music Changer for VW: Electronics

Looks like Kenwood has a kit for ipod
Accessories | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

Was wondering if anyone has seen any kits available in the market which could be used?
Thanks in Advance.
Regards
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:40   #27
BHPian

Re: USB/iPod support for a OEM HU w/o USB Support

Exactly the product that I have come to in my search for a USB solution to my Benz. Does anyone have any experience with using a Digital Music Changer on their Mercedes?

Also Gurus in the forum, my C220 cdi (Aug 2010 model) has a in dash 6 cd HU. Does it also have a seperate CD changer provision?

Most Viewed