Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 15:33   #1
BHPian

USB/iPod support for a OEM HU w/o USB Support

Hi Gurus:
I own a Fabia which comes with a decent HU. It does not have a USB support. So I'm trying to add USB support to it. I dont want to change the HU.

I came across a product over the web which claims that it adds the USB support. Gurus please let me know whether it works. If it works where in India it is available?

I guess Indian Fabia has a CD changer provision as the UK siblings have it.

Dension Gateway 300 Multiple Device Adapter for iPod, Aux input & USB

The main feature or advantage of the gateway 300 is the ability to connect multipul devices. The 300 is capable of reading all FAT file system devices including USB sticks and USB mass storage devices. This feature is particluary popular with music lovers as 10,000's of additional tracks can be stored on new USB sticks as well as the thousands you can have on your iPod. The Dension Gateway 300 also has an AUX input so any MP3 music device with AUX (standard headphone socket) can be connected and played.
It connects into the CD Changer socket on the back of the factory fitted radio, when connected it emulates an external CD Changer (as far as the radio is concerned) the gateway PCB then translates the iPod Data to a compatible signal that radio is capable of reading, meaning you get full control of your iPod and music while your iPod is being charged when connected.

Additional Features
  • iPod control from your original radio and steering controls
  • iPod charging function
  • USB input for mass storage devices, memory sticks and MP3 players
  • Supports MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA & playsforsure
  • Audio input via 3.5mm jack
  • Video output (AV extender required)

Hey its my 100th post.

Last edited by MadRash : 4th February 2009 at 15:34.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:01   #2
BHPian

I think for this price, you'll get a nice little HU with USB and ipod connectivity, much better than the stock HU.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Here is the link of product being discussed.
Dension Gateway 300 | Dension ice>Link Plus Gateway 300 | iPod Car Kit Direct
Old 4th February 2009, 16:30   #4
BHPian

HU of Laura L & K has inbuilt cd changer and also has aux in ( supports 3.5 mm pin) for ipod. will appreciate if someone could indicate any additional device to connect a USB drive & SD card also if possible.

The device which is indicated in this thread meets the requirements but looks cumbersome. Actually something which merely connects through the Aux port and supports usb/ sd card.

Is it available in India / Mumbai ? The link indicates only location abroad.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:43   #5
BHPian

Aux Input / Power Output Socket in Civic 1.8V

Can someone throw light on:

1. for what can we use the aux input in Civic 1.8V ? some examples ?

2. how can the power supply in Civic 1.8V (adjacent socket) be effectively used ? are there approved interface cables to tap this power ?
Old 5th February 2009, 12:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
1. for what can we use the aux input in Civic 1.8V ? some examples ?
if the aux input is a USB input then you can connect everything from an ipod or pen drive to it. If the Aux input is a EP (looks like a headphone socket) input then the ipod's line out or a portable MP3/CD players line out can be connected to it.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:19   #7
BHPian

Hi:
To give more clarity to my query.
Skoda HU's supports CD changer. My 'Dance' HU in Fabia has a earphone jack (Aux in) but does not have a USB port. This Dension product claims that it provides USB support by acting like a CD changer. Any one ever tried this?

Old 5th February 2009, 13:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

There's stuff available that tunes itself to one of the FM bands on the the car audio system & then you can plug & play your memory cards, Ipods or pen drives (music or movies) -

eBay India: Car Mp3 FM Modulator,compatible with PEN Drive (item 110346145299 end time 05-Feb-2009 19:44:50 IST)

I guess what you're talking about is something similar but seems insanely expensive

Last edited by suman : 5th February 2009 at 14:02.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:52   #9
BHPian

I bought a dension for my prev gen Accord v6 to use with the OE HU. worked quite well.

I have since shifted the Dension to my civic, as the accord now has a new Pioneer HU with touchscreen display.

The Dension was the only one who semed professional in replying to my queries.Even their website was the best laid out and most informative. Thats why I bought from them, even though expensive at USD 250.

but there are a lot of products available out there. Dension even has a delaer in India now.

If you dont mind a basic system, contact Bala of Tecnocrat (in Chennai) at 9841219999 for a ipod cable to connect to OE HU. I got one for he new crv. steering wheel or system controls dont work. I have only iPod control and the ipod gets charged.

this is level 1 only. he is working on a more advanced system which allows control from HU and steering wheel.
Old 6th February 2009, 08:33   #10
BHPian

Thanks BikerSG.

I want to control the songs from the HU. Thats why I'm searching for some thing like Dension GW300. Do you have their Indian dealer's contact info. I tried calling the mumbai number present in their website. But it landed to somewhere else.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Thanks BikerSG.

I want to control the songs from the HU. Thats why I'm searching for some thing like Dension GW300. Do you have their Indian dealer's contact info. I tried calling the mumbai number present in their website. But it landed to somewhere else.
check with bala if he has managed to make a new cable yet. maybe he has done it by now.

reg dension dealer, I have deleted all communication with the mumbai dealer. I never spoke to them over phone. It was always through email.

the contact details of the Indian Distributor are:

Exclusive Performance
louisek@exclusiveperformance.in
15, Parsi Panchayat Road
Andheri East, Mumbai 400 059. India
Tel.: + 91 22 6529 2834
Old 9th February 2009, 13:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

If it has an AUX in, here's something I'd suggest:
harman/kardon | drive + play
Old 18th March 2010, 16:34   #13
BHPian

USB for Swift

I am looking to add USB support to my Swift Dzire, I have come across one products that adds to the CD changer port of the device. Can anyone please confirm if this will work with Indian Swift

USB/SD+AUX Car MP3 Player---Swift,Jimny,Vitara,Clarion : eBay Motors (item 190377248331 end time Apr-01-10 05:36:51 PDT)

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2010 at 17:42. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 28th September 2010, 13:19   #14
BHPian

Adding USB input to Polo ICE

Does anybody know or have tried adding USB/ iPod input to standard ICE that comes with Polo Highline?

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th September 2010 at 12:01. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, similar discussion. Thanks
Old 28th September 2010, 14:12   #15
BHPian

It would be difficult to do that on the stock HU. One alternative is to buy an FM transmitter which will fit into the cigarette lighter socket. There are a lot available, cheaper ones on eBay. Or branded ones like this. Works well.
Logitec USB FM Transmitter

Most Viewed