Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 14:08   #46

Thats for sure! The amp (S644) is great Value for money. 6.9~7K with B&W Depending upon the place
great output , I feel Iam not utilizing the amp to its fullest potential.
The amp is under rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
SPECIFICATIONS General
Amplifier Type Class AB
RMS Power @ 4Ohms 4x70W
RMS Power @ 2Ohms 4x100W
Peak Power 800W
Crossover (12dB/Oct., 20 – 320Hz; Front): LP/HP/Flat
(12dB/Oct., 20 – 320Hz; Rear): LP/HP/Flat
Signal-to-Noise (dBA) 85dBA

good power, id say!
Old 7th March 2009, 13:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Have been using GT5-A604 for a long time and I must say that I'm quite satisfied with this Amp. BTW I don't listen to music too loud and I just want it to be clear and precise and that's what this Amp is achieving along with JBL GTO components and Sub. HU is a Blaupunkt. Thumbs up to this VFM amp and thanks Satya (blueraven) for the installation.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:58   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Have GT5-A604, with a combonation of Boston 2 way (front), Xenos Components (Rear) and 12" Polk subwoofer.

No issues with its performance of the Amp since I upgraded my ICE a year before.

My Head unit (from early 2006) which is Pioneer DEH 4750 still remains the same but it came with only Rear Pre-Amp RCA output which restricted amplification only to the rear channel. Sound levels were more at the rear and front one were hardly audible due to their direct connection with the HU.

I then connected the Non filtered RCA output of the Amp (usually used for additional Amp) as Input to the Front Channel of the AMP and Voila, There was a considerable (and satisfactory) difference with perfect sound definition for the front and the rear. This also helped me move away from my decision of upgrading the HU which offered 4 RCA outs.

Today, I feel Xenos Comps are useless and would want to replace them with the costly Polks 3-way(Which usually offers good Mid-Range and Tweeters) since I already have a SW for the Bass.

The only problem I faced recently was with Alternator whine which was later rectified with ground looping. (I have heard that it is a known issue with Pio HUs where the peco-fuse blows out resulting in the whine). Nothing at all to do with my JBL Amp which I was skeptical in the begining and ruled this out by connecting a different sound source to the Amp!!
Old 17th April 2009, 18:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Have GT5-A604, with a combonation of Boston 2 way (front), Xenos Components (Rear) and 12" Polk subwoofer.

No issues with its performance of the Amp since I upgraded my ICE a year before.

My Head unit (from early 2006) which is Pioneer DEH 4750 still remains the same but it came with only Rear Pre-Amp RCA output which restricted amplification only to the rear channel. Sound levels were more at the rear and front one were hardly audible due to their direct connection with the HU.

I then connected the Non filtered RCA output of the Amp (usually used for additional Amp) as Input to the Front Channel of the AMP and Voila, There was a considerable (and satisfactory) difference with perfect sound definition for the front and the rear. This also helped me move away from my decision of upgrading the HU which offered 4 RCA outs.

as per discussion recently,while adding a pair of 6.5 in front, with some installers regarding the jbl a604 amp to power 4 speakers and one woofer, they pointed out the following to me -

1. the a604 should not be used to power 4 speakers (2 ovals and 2 6.5) + 1 woofer, as the load is too much and could drain your battery.
2. the aux out on the a604 is not to be connected to the front in, on the same amp, as this tends to heat the amp up on long continues usage and is not suggested.

to my horror, the installer who had initially worked on my car too had done the 2nd point.

the rear 6x9 or 6.5 should be powered by the HU and the front 6.5 and sub, by the a604.

PLEASE check with some other reputed installer.

UM
Old 20th April 2009, 11:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
as per discussion recently,while adding a pair of 6.5 in front, with some installers regarding the jbl a604 amp to power 4 speakers and one woofer, they pointed out the following to me -

1. the a604 should not be used to power 4 speakers (2 ovals and 2 6.5) + 1 woofer, as the load is too much and could drain your battery.
2. the aux out on the a604 is not to be connected to the front in, on the same amp, as this tends to heat the amp up on long continues usage and is not suggested.

to my horror, the installer who had initially worked on my car too had done the 2nd point.

the rear 6x9 or 6.5 should be powered by the HU and the front 6.5 and sub, by the a604.

PLEASE check with some other reputed installer.

UM
Hey,

That was good information and thanks but I have my own doubts regarding the set-up and its drawbacks.

- When the Amp itself is 2 channel to support 4 speakers, How will that actually cause a load to the amp and hence drain the battery when it is designed to support 4? Moreover, The speakers used are within the output limits specified by the Amp. Please share more.

-I agree that connecting a SW would put more load (when 4 is the limit)

-Why cant the the Aux-out connectors on the Amp, used to connect additional amp be connected to the front Aux-Ins when the output itself is non-amplified and simply gets connected as Inputs for the fronts (which would otherwise come from the RCA Pre-outs of the HU itself, and In my case, It wasnt available). Anyways, the same input will be amplified to produce output for the front.

I have been using this set-up since pretty long now (2 years) and havent faced any issues of overheating or other unlisted ones.

Initially when I purchased the system the installer simply connected the SW only, leaving the amp hardly utilized even when the support was for 4 speakers and the bass of the SW (with the lowest setting) was taking precedence over the regular Front and Rears connected directed to the HU. I chose to change this setting myself and It has worked fine for me.

With my spouse and mom as rear seat passengers, I usually disconnect the SW and the sound quality is crisp with the 4 speaker set-up.

However, I will look into a few threads/posts to see for the problems and if they were caused due to this set-up or by using differently rated speakers.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:52   #51
BHPian

Hey,

That was good information and thanks but I have my own doubts regarding the set-up and its drawbacks.

- When the Amp itself is 2 channel to support 4 speakers, How will that actually cause a load to the amp and hence drain the battery when it is designed to support 4? Moreover, The speakers used are within the output limits specified by the Amp. Please share more.

A 4 Ch amp will power 4 speakers well. but don’t add a sub on it. again this is in theory- my setup worked on by a unskilled installer initially, had connected 4 speakers and a sub on my poor a604. I used it for a yrs and finally got fed up with the sound imbalance and bal dominated by the rear 6x9". so I had a reputed installer, upgrade the entire wiring and setting. even through this cost me more than the initial install cost, it is worth it knowing that the amp is working in safe zone and the sound is perfectly balanced and tuned.

-I agree that connecting a SW would put more load (when 4 is the limit) Agreed

-Why cant the the Aux-out connectors on the Amp, used to connect additional amp be connected to the front Aux-Ins when the output itself is non-amplified and simply gets connected as Inputs for the fronts (which would otherwise come from the RCA Pre-outs of the HU itself, and In my case, It wasnt available). Anyways, the same input will be amplified to produce output for the front.

I too am using a Pio 2050 with only 1 set of RCA. in the same boat as you, literally, the initial installer in Milan, had connected it the same way. but the explanation I got from the knowledgeable installer is that the wire should not be looped that way as using the aux out to the Rca in the same amp, heats up the system on high volume and prolonged usage.
the solution is pretty cheap, a pair of y splitters that cost Rs.150. leave the aux out for future upgrade to mono or a second amp.

I have been using this set-up since pretty long now (2 years) and haven’t faced any issues of overheating or other unlisted ones.

I too used it for a yr but the sound balance was dominated by the rear speakers, really bugged me.
I too was doubtful that the setup - amp for 2 front speakers and sub, and HU to rear 2 speakers. but this really sounds good and you can control the balance from the HU - front 2 or back 2.

Initially when I purchased the system the installer simply connected the SW only, leaving the amp hardly utilized even when the support was for 4 speakers and the bass of the SW (with the lowest setting) was taking precedence over the regular Front and Rears connected directed to the HU. I chose to change this setting myself and It has worked fine for me.
4 speaker on the head unit and amp only for the sub .

With my spouse and mom as rear seat passengers, I usually disconnect the SW and the sound quality is crisp with the 4 speaker set-up.

With the amp for 2 front speakers and sub, and HU to rear 2 speakers, you can control only the front speakers to work, i.e.- back speaker and sub will be dead, and this setting is through the HU, big benefit here.

However, I will look into a few threads/posts to see for the problems and if they were caused due to this set-up or by using differently rated speakers.

Reply in bold.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:07   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Hey,

Reply in bold.
Hey, Thanks again.

Well, Well. I agree to most of the points mentioned by you.

At once I had even thought of buying a pair of Y splitters for the RCAs so that I could use it for the front inputs of the AMP but then I could never get a good quality one at places I looked.

Later, I purchased RCA Male-Female pins to DIY a cable pair but the quality of those connectors were super bad and hence I ended up with the Set-up that I have.

I will now have to rethink on the existing set-up and opt for that splitter option. I think its logical rather than wait for something to blow out in future

Also, since I have the Wagon-R with those reclining rear seats, I opted to place those speakers in the rear door and the Subwoofer and the rear speakers face each other which is again not a good way of placement.
I will either need to upgrade to better speakers and do away with the Sub.

Will Keep you posted. Thanks again!!
Old 24th April 2009, 11:37   #53
BHPian

Is the 644 amp bridgable?
Old 24th April 2009, 16:09   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameenmaj View Post
Is the 644 amp bridgable?
Yes. with Bass Boost (+6dB @50Hz).

UM
Old 25th April 2009, 17:05   #55
BHPian

What would be the probable bridged output?
Old 3rd May 2009, 16:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Forget brightness, there's hardly anything except some mids!
panky, that's pretty 'harsh' criticism on the 8401!

I am running off a Kenwood MP-5033 U HU + KAC 8401 Amp coupled with JBL 607c + JBL GT5 S-12. It suits my tastes to a T - most ppl who audition the set-up comment on the SQ and how 'musical' it sounds.

That said, at louder levels, if you're so inclined, the tweeters can make ears bleed and the bass is enough to shake ORVMs and the seats despite damping.

Had heard a Pioneer HU + 607c + A604 Set up before deciding on a 8401. Found the set up a bit harsh for my tastes, but then, it could also have been the way the gains were set. Also the higher Signal to Noise ratio of the Kenwood compared to Blua/JBL made me go for it.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting a GT5 -644 4 ch amp fr my swift.
Would love your reviews of the same.
And let me tell you my setup.
I having a 5250 Pioneer HU, a JBL608 component at the front and a JBL GTo 948(400 watt) ovals at the rear.
Having all the 4 speakers amplified using the 644 4ch amp.
How do you think the setup will sound ?

Most Viewed