Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 15:46   #31
BHPian

Pics for Refitment of my speakers from ICE dealer

The speakers purchased by me for Vista had greater depth and thats why the magnet of the speaker used to touch the bottom of the standard space provided in doors for speaker fitment. So Instead of the speaker flange resting on the door panel the magnet of the speaker was first coming in contact. To fill the gap between the speaker flange and the door panel as shown in the photo we need to use a MDF(Wooden ring) for fitment which was not available with the TASC dealer.The TASC dealer had used only two screws to fit the screws, such a poor fitment practice. You can see the the big gap between the speaker flange and the door panel. The ICE dealer then used Wooden rings to fill this gap. He mounted the wooden rings onto the door panel with two screws and then he used 3 big length screws for mounting the speakers which would not only pass the wooden rings but also pierce through the door panel. I also remounted the plastic caps provided by the company (as shown in pics) again to save the speaker magnets from water ingress during washing.(Hope they work, although i doubt them to work). The TASC dealer had also broken a raised flange available on the plastic door panel (also used as an alternative position for fitment of 4 inch speakers) with the help of pliers.
I also purchased following from Plaza in Pune:
Seat Covers, Sude Velvet: 2700 Rs
Garware Sunfilm Classic for sidewindows and rear hatch door:1500 Rs
In additional 400rs he gave me a Floor matting set of 5 pieces worth rs 575 (including the centre piece for the rear passengers) and a good perfume worth rs 450.
I am glad that the speakers are now properly fitted and I am over with all the acessory fitment.
Attached Thumbnails
Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00599.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00603.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00604.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00605.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00608.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00602.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00600.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00612.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-dsc00614.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th April 2009, 22:52   #32
BHPian

I had thought of using hard plastic baffles (like you have done) to protect my speakers from dust & water but then read somewhere that this would result in bass loss.
If you are noticing this, you might think of enlarging the hole you have made at the bottom of the baffle (to pass the wire) & see if that improves the bass.
Unfortunately, the correct size for the hole can only be found by trial & error.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Budget ICE for Indica Vista

I am planning to ICE my Indica Vista, and I am a complete noob when it comes to audio.

I don’t listen to much boom-boom songs, and I am no audiophile – I am looking at a music system which is pleasant to ears – 80% of the music will be old Hindi film music, with some gazals and karnatic thrown in occasionally, and a bit of malyalam-tamil film music.

I have a pair of Pioneer TS-G1640R which I picked up for my old car, but did not use. I plan to put them in the front door pads (They are bigger than the stock size – stock is 4-inch and TS-G1640R is 6.25inch, but I think they can be accommodated by using MDF spacer rings and some minimal door panel cutting from inside – correct me please if I am wrong).

For the HU + rear ovals, I have two options – Either JVC KD-R606 and JVC CS-V6945 speakers (6X9, 4-way) or Kenwood KDC-MP543U and Kenwood KFC-M6942A speakers (6X9, 4-way) – my friend have already picked up these from Dubai, and I am free to choose either one of them.

What will be the better among these two options for me to choose from?

What do you think about this set-up? Will it be a VFM set up to listen? What kind of sound will this set up produce – will it be more towards clear sound or will it be more towards boom-boom?

I do not plan to add a sub, and I am still thinking about an amp, may be in the future – but not sure. Will adding an amp to this set up make it sound better? If yes, what kind of an amp should I be looking at?

If any of you have used these HUs/Speakers, can you please share the views on them?

Last edited by theexperthand : 4th January 2010 at 11:56.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:27   #34
BHPian

About your setup

1)Yes you can surely fit a 6.25 inch speakers in your front doors using MDF spacer rings.The problem is not with the diameter,but with the depth of the Speakers which touch the bottom of the well provided by the Car manufacturer in the door. To avoid the speaker coming into contact (at the magnet end) with the door well we need to use spacers but then the speakers interfere slightly with the plastic door cover which fits from inside. So they break some projections and thats it the speaker fits well.

2)My experience is I fitted the plastic cups behind the speakers to prevent damage to the speakers from water (coming inside during washing). But this cups do hamper the sound quality of the speakers. My experience is when i took the demo of the speakers they sounded awesome but when they were fitted onto the door they lost there charm,dont know whether its due to the settings or due to the plastic cups.
3) If you are not the ones who hear loud music, I suggest investing in a good set of front speakers. If you can purchase the component speakers for front nothing like that but they are costly starting from 4500 rs i think so. The reason for having good speakers in front is that the sound stage (where u feel the sound is coming from) is at the front but if you have good powerful speakers on the tray(6x9) you feel that the sound is coming from behind which i personally dont like.But yes I have to agree that in my car the speakers which are mounted on the rear door really dont add to the total sound quality effect. 6x9 on a MDF tray in rear will be better than good speakers in the rear door always.But as you know the 6x9 have a large diaphragm and they are powerful speakers and to add to it there is the funneling effect of the sloping rear windscreen which gives a good sound quality. But this affects the passengers sitting on the rear as the speakers nearly shout behind the ears and then using a FADER is useless if the front speakers are not good ones.My opinion is 6x9 speakers are good for bass which you dont need as per your likings.
3) But as you have already purchased I suggest go ahead with the fitment who knows you might be pretty impressed with the setup and yes your setup is a VFM setup.
4) Amplifier will surely increase the sound quality.
I am not a expert about ICE setup and details about your specific speaker model numbers and the type of amp needed will not be in my limited capacity to give you a correct guidance. Please ask the ICE gurus here am sure they can help you achieve nearly the best what you can get in your budget.
Hope this helps,above opinions might not be true but that is what i honestly feel after my experience with the ICE setup in my Vista.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

@amit_purohit20 : thanks for the suggetions.

The pioneer speaker I am talking about - Pioneer TS-G1640R 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I will not be able to invest in a pair of components as of now, but I may go for them in future.

I am also waiting for some inputs from the ICE gurus.
btw the JVC duo and the Kenwood duo, which one do you think will be a better choice?
Old 4th January 2010, 23:06   #36
BHPian

You can never know unless you play both and test them. I opted for JVC in my rear doors as they were sounding better than JBL which are supposed to be very good at sound quality.So just by model numbers its difficult to tell,but any person who has heard both of them in real will be able to help you. I suggest you play them both and try to find out which one you like or you can go to a local store and ask for the particular models and let them give you a demo. I guess Kenwood would be better but thats a wild guess only. You need to get a demo to find out.
Old 5th January 2010, 13:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

I would choose the kenwood combo.
And i would really, really recommend that you get comps up front. they are THAT worth it
Old 5th January 2010, 15:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

@amit_purohit20 yeah, I need to get an audition to find out the diference. Let me try some local stores this weekend.

@greenhorn Thanks for the input. Now I am in two minds. which comps will you suggest for the kenwood setup, looking from a budget constraint point of view?

What are the starting price range for components?

Last edited by theexperthand : 5th January 2010 at 15:26.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

ICE-ed my Vista at last!

I got my Vista ICE-ed last week. The work was done @ 'Veilside car modifications, puthiya road, palarivottom, kochin' and I have to say that they did an almost neat work - they are not in league of Zuheimi, but they did some almost neat work.

I am not an audiophile, and to me,the install sounds more towards SPL than SQ. But then, with the basic ICE components I am using, you really cant expect anything great. I am happy with the end result!

The ICE

HU - Kenwood KDC-MP543U
Front - Pioneer TS-G1640R (6.25inch, 2-Way Co-axials)
Rear - Kenwood KFC-M6942A (6X9, 4-way)
Rear MDF tray - 700 rs
Power connector (tata to kenwood) - 150 rs
Install - 150 rs
Wiring - Front speakers used stock Tata wiring, and for rear, I used the wire came free with the rear speakers.

(I sourced the HU and Rear speakers from Dubai, and it cost me 5.5K, the front speakers cost me 1.2K - the total cost is - 7.7K - Think it might be one of the cheapest installs here )

Few Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1220066.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1220069.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1220076.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1220077.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1300089.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1300090.jpg  

Query on Very Basic ICE setup for Vista-p1300091.jpg  

Old 1st February 2010, 11:43   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the pics, it will help other vista owners for sure and I hope you would be happy with your setup.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

@amit_purohit20: yeah, I am happy
the install is total VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks