Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!

Hello Audiophiles,
My 1963 Mercedes 190c (W110) restoration is almost done and now that my upholstery work is getting completed, I need to get an audio setup in the next week or so. Let me start by explaining what I have in the car:

Front Speaker Pair housed in front door pad – 4 inch Pioneer Speakers (Don’t know the model number since the stickering has come of)

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0809.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0811.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0838.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0839.jpg

Rear Speaker Pair housed in rear parcel shelf – 6 inch Pioneer Speakers Model Number – TS-603.

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0812.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0833.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0836.jpg

These are housed in funny looking wooden boxes in the boot. I do not know what purpose they serve. Any thoughts?

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0829.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0828.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0830.jpg

HU – Pioneer KA-5000 cassette player.

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0842.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0843.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0844.jpg

Audio Setup Help for a Classic Mercedes!-img_0845.jpg

Now that you have seen pictures of the setup including placements, I have a few queries. Before answering these, please keep in mind that this would be a weekend car and will be driven for 2 to 5 kilometers a week so I do not want to “drop mad dough on a banging disco music setup”. In other words please bear in mind that I have a virtually non existent budget. I know this may sound like a really sarcastic joke to everyone here but I do not want to spend more than 10K to 12K on the entire setup :

1) What HU should I get that will fit into the stock bracket? I need something that looks exceedingly simple with CD Player / MP3 playability. Ipod / USB connectivity would be a major bonus. In terms of the face of the HU – All black and a Negative display or yellow/orange backlight would be great.

2) What speakers should I get up front? Are the 4 inchers good or should these be bumped up to 6 inches. This would of course have to be ‘upsized’ based on the amount of space available on the door pad. Do any speakers come with beige grills since this will be the color of the upholstery (Painting the grill is not an option). Please recommend simple looking speakers that should sound good.

3) What rear speakers should I get? Are the 6 inchers good or should these be bumped up to 9 inches. Should I retain the funny looking wooden boxes in the trunk? Again, please recommend simple looking speakers and maybe beige grills if you can.

4) I am looking for a cleaner sound – not too much base / trebble and the setup should have decent volume since the cabin is quite large (Not that I plan on blaring music ala Mantri Election style!)

5) Is there anything else I should keep in mind during the setup. Anything to tell the installer or to pay special attention to, etc.

6) During the upholstery work, should I ask the seat-walla to cover up the existing speaker holes in front door pads and rear parcel shelf and then have an audio guy re-cut them later according to his needs? Or should I just let the holes be in place they way they are?

When you make your recommendations, I would appreciate the model numbers with approximate street price I should intend paying. I appreciate all your help and look forward to your inputs.

Thanks!
vcash

Last edited by vcash : 12th February 2009 at 11:59.
Old 12th February 2009, 13:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to go for HU, Front 6 inch co-ax, with 6x9 ovals in the back. Listen to a few before finalizing.
Old 12th February 2009, 13:05   #3
BHPian

A pioneer HU and JBL 4'' co-ax and 6x9 co-ax.
Alternatively, you may consider JBL components and 6.5'' co-ax for rear. The components would require small modifications on the front door.
Old 12th February 2009, 13:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ewww... Those are all fake Pioneers of the yesteryears...
Old 12th February 2009, 13:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer HU with USB - Rs 5000
Front JBL coax (6") - Rs 1500
Rear JBL 6x9 - Rs 2500
Wiring and installation - Rs 1500
Basic damping - Rs 500

You're set. And yes, you don't need those boxes.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I would suggest to go for HU, Front 6 inch co-ax, with 6x9 ovals in the back. Listen to a few before finalizing.
Thanks LBM - Not too keen on ovals. Like I said, I want to keep it simple and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameenmaj View Post
A pioneer HU and JBL 4'' co-ax and 6x9 co-ax.
Alternatively, you may consider JBL components and 6.5'' co-ax for rear. The components would require small modifications on the front door.
What modification would I need to make for the components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Ewww... Those are all fake Pioneers of the yesteryears...
Lol... I had a sneaky suspicion that these were fake when I took them out. How old do you think these are? I can't recall when we got them put in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Pioneer HU with USB - Rs 5000
Front JBL coax (6") - Rs 1500
Rear JBL 6x9 - Rs 2500
Wiring and installation - Rs 1500
Basic damping - Rs 500

You're set. And yes, you don't need those boxes.
Thanks for the information and budget break up. What HU would recommend?

Anyone has pricing info on DEH-4190SD and DEH-P7150UB. I dont want any HU's with silver accents.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'd say check if you can get a second hand alpine HU ( there are a few in the classifieds)
they give the best SQ if features are not a priority for you
Old 12th February 2009, 15:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Most speakers dont have beige grills. Marine speakers have white grills like this
MB Quart NKF116 Car Speakers
most other grills are a combination of balck and silver.
Most HUs displays seem to have Blue as the prominent colour but many Hus have displays that have more than one colour (Alpine displays for exmaple can be changed to a Red, Green, or Amber background) like this
Blaupunkt Monterrey MP35 CD Players,MP3 CD Player

that said I second LBM view that you should consdier a simple 6" 2/3 way coax in the front and a similar simple 6x9" 2/3 way coax in the rear. Commonly available brands are JBL (GT5 series), Blaupunkt (Thx series) etc.. you should be able to get 4 speakers for about 8K.

For about 6K you can get a decent HU from Pioneer or JVC or Blaupunkt.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
What modification would I need to make for the components?
Some MDF rings or just increase the front speaker slot a little.
HU consider 2150UB or 3050UB which would come at 5k.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

just curious, why is painting the grilles not an option?
else you can cover it with beige cloth, the type they use for speakers
Old 12th February 2009, 17:35   #11
BANNED

If you can pick up an old Alpine HU, the best. 9830, 31, 33 etc..
Kenwood has 6539 which comes in black body and adjustable illumination according to your need.

Get Bull audio 6.5" components for the front. 6.5" Coax for the rear if you want it. Else, just keep the fronts alone.

Your 12k budget will be blown a bit. But you won't feel the pain I'm sure.

Throw all that old speakers, boxes away or sell it to Ishan. He wants to Ice his Getz 1.1!
Old 12th February 2009, 19:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'd say check if you can get a second hand alpine HU ( there are a few in the classifieds)
they give the best SQ if features are not a priority for you
Yea, features are not a priority but having said that, I do not want o buy a used one either nor do I want to get one online (Team-BHP or otherwise) since time is of the essence to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Most speakers dont have beige grills. Marine speakers have white grills like this
MB Quart NKF116 Car Speakers
most other grills are a combination of balck and silver.
Most HUs displays seem to have Blue as the prominent colour but many Hus have displays that have more than one colour (Alpine displays for exmaple can be changed to a Red, Green, or Amber background) like this
Blaupunkt Monterrey MP35 CD Players,MP3 CD Player

that said I second LBM view that you should consdier a simple 6" 2/3 way coax in the front and a similar simple 6x9" 2/3 way coax in the rear. Commonly available brands are JBL (GT5 series), Blaupunkt (Thx series) etc.. you should be able to get 4 speakers for about 8K.

For about 6K you can get a decent HU from Pioneer or JVC or Blaupunkt.
Thanks for the information. I'll give marine speakers a miss, however I think I will pick up some JBL's since they have some simple and neat grills. Does JBL make non-oval rear speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameenmaj View Post
Some MDF rings or just increase the front speaker slot a little.
HU consider 2150UB or 3050UB which would come at 5k.
Can you elaborate on what MDF rings are?

Quote:
just curious, why is painting the grilles not an option?
else you can cover it with beige cloth, the type they use for speakers
I just don't feel like dealing with the whole paint process i.e. matching / mixing and getting it painted and then not having a good finsih etc. (1 year of body restoration on any car will make anyone paranoid). Again, sourcing the cloth will not be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If you can pick up an old Alpine HU, the best. 9830, 31, 33 etc..
Kenwood has 6539 which comes in black body and adjustable illumination according to your need.

Get Bull audio 6.5" components for the front. 6.5" Coax for the rear if you want it. Else, just keep the fronts alone.

Your 12k budget will be blown a bit. But you won't feel the pain I'm sure.

Throw all that old speakers, boxes away or sell it to Ishan. He wants to Ice his Getz 1.1!
Thanks Zak! - I really like the 6539. Any idea on the street price? I think I will stick with JBL - becuase there is a dealer in Jamshedpur. Not sure of Bull, but will check it out anyway.

And Ishan has offered me 30K for my speakers and HU. I am holding out till I get atleast 50.
Old 12th February 2009, 19:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
And Ishan has offered me 30K for my speakers and HU. I am holding out till I get atleast 50.
Well the drinks / dinner is on me if you get Mr. Tyre Walah to install this in his newly bought 1.1 Getz
Old 12th February 2009, 20:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

another alternative would be to lose the HU as a whole , and use an ipod+amp, with the ipod kept hidden somewhere
Old 12th February 2009, 20:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
another alternative would be to lose the HU as a whole , and use an ipod+amp, with the ipod kept hidden somewhere
A HU will cost 3-5k , an amp? and then ipod cable etc...

Source HU frm TBHP(classifieds) get co-ax all around.

Zak, 983X will commands price half his budget I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks