Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 13:36   #31
BHPian

What was the problem???
Old 25th February 2009, 15:14   #32
nitin.dangayach

The Signle cable wasn't working tucked in well.

Old 26th February 2009, 11:51   #33
nitin.dangayach

DIY Project accomplished

Finally done with the installation. Got my another RCA yesterday and fitted everything. Took a little more than expected for the cable management.

Final Thoughts:

If I want to be harsh, I can say that the KAC 8401 is not really great as an amplifier. The sound is pretty decent though, but nothing extraordinary.

But honestly, it suits "perfectly" to my taste and this was "exactly" what I wanted. It does its job to showcase the sound stage, the way its meant to be showcased. No Frills attached.

I did not feel much different than before but the sound is much cleaner and the separation is better.. Although the CRISP factor (not sure how to tell that but Crystallizer in Creative X-Fi cards is something I am referring to here.) But then everything can be adjusted through the equalizers.

The best part is that I have set the rear speakers for HPF (cutoff at 200Hz) and the fronts at LPF (cutoff at 200Hz). The resultant sound stage is teribly great and I am really impressed by this setup. The rears (POLK db691) are pumping so much of bass that I can state definitely that I do not need any SUB now. Man I am hearing those lows which were not there or were there but weren't punchy enough.

The gain on the fronts is little more than 1 and the rear gain is set at 1. Now the fronts sound so lively and I can push the volume knob to the max, without being afraid about the small 4 inchers getting damaged by those lows.

I have tuned the amp in such a way that the sound level reaches my preferred maximum range. I am simply loving these extra tweaking options, which were not there prevosuly in the HU.

In total 5500 bucks, I guess its an awesome deal. I am just too excited to go back to punjab (Yeah I am waiting for that 8 hr long drive )

The only issue is that the Amp is not fixed anywhere, its just lying in the boot. I am though thinking of hooking in few screws to the cardboard that covers the stepney. It will atleast stay in its place.

I was so engulfed in fixing and tuning the amp that I forgot to take many pics. Here are the few I clicked.

The BIGGER MESS:

The wires (Transparent ones: RCA, White ones: Speaker cables to the fronts, Blue one: Signal Cable, Black one was for the Central Locking)

Polks db401, 4 inchers, mutilated to accomodate them in the cramped space :P

The Amplifier, finally:

The bigger view:

Overall it was an extremely satisfying experience. DIY Project Accomplished Successfully.

Comments / Suggestions are welcome.

Old 26th February 2009, 11:58   #34
BHPian

Mount the amp on to the back of rear seat, you wont even loos any boot space.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:04   #35
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Mount the amp on to the back of rear seat, you wont even loos any boot space.
Then the wiring has to be redone. I will do it someitme later. Leaving the setup as it is, right now. May be after a month :P

Old 26th February 2009, 12:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

pretty need diy nitin congrats,try and shift the amp at the back of back seat.

which speakercable did you used.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:11   #37
nitin.dangayach

Mods, pls delete this.

Last edited by nitin.dangayach : 26th February 2009 at 13:13. Reason: Double post

Old 26th February 2009, 13:11   #38
nitin.dangayach

Thanks Karan.

I had a roll of Acoustic Research 16awg flat ofc speaker wire, with me. That white one in the pics is the same.

Old 26th February 2009, 14:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach
The best part is that I have set the rear speakers for HPF (cutoff at 200Hz) and the fronts at LPF (cutoff at 200Hz). The resultant sound stage is teribly great and I am really impressed by this setup.
Are you mad? I wonder Who taught you HPF/LPF.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:44   #40
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Are you mad? I wonder Who taught you HPF/LPF.
Whats mad in that ? Care to elaborate ? Yes I know, the rear speakers are not producing the full range but then I don't want them to do so.

Old 26th February 2009, 14:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach
The best part is that I have set the rear speakers for HPF (cutoff at
200Hz) and the fronts at LPF (cutoff at 200Hz).
Read the bold parts. And answer.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nitin i think HU has options for HPF and LPF ? BTW why are u LPFying the front at 200 hz ? It should be HPF and not LPF.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:20   #43
nitin.dangayach

My bad. I should have noted that. Sorry Nitrous. You know that its a typo. Doesn't make any sense to route the lows to the fronts.

Abhibh, I have done that setting in the Amp. And yeah its LPF for the rears and the HPF for the fronts.

Old 26th February 2009, 18:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Great effort Nitin!

I think the fronts should be HPF'ed around 80 or 100 and the rears, depending on your taste. I dont have rears, so cant comment. But I guess I have LPF'ed my sub at 50 and at times, take it to 80.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:36   #45
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Great effort Nitin!

I think the fronts should be HPF'ed around 80 or 100 and the rears, depending on your taste. I dont have rears, so cant comment. But I guess I have LPF'ed my sub at 50 and at times, take it to 80.
Thanks man.

Nishant, honestly I am a little too worried about those 4inchers getting screwed up by the lows. So avoiding that as much as I can. The AMp offered me max 200 Hz on LPF so used that.

But I dont think I am missing anything there. Those small speakers will seldom go that low.

Just playing safe

Most Viewed