Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2007, 14:48   #46
BHPian

Had my HU in one of the equaliser modes. Changed it to flat yesterday & find the music much cleaner.
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:31   #47
BHPian

I know it is not nice to make a list of avoidable components - to each its own. I remember Sam saying so once as well. But it would be a great help for non-audiophiles to know which brands are "generally" good, bad or ugly.

For example, I didnt know that only Audiobahn amplifiers are good, but not the speakers or subs. I didnt know Infinity Reference amplifiers arent great. I mean, you have to trust your ears and all, I agree. But where do you get to audition all the brands to know the difference.

So, I did a browse/search on popular forums that discuss car audio and at ecoustics, i found a link on the good, the bad and the ugly (verbatim! I was like really surprised). Considering Sam discouraged a discussion on this topic some time ago, I am not posting the link here. But I think I written enough juice for anyone interested to discover the list.

In general, it follows what we know. There are some surprises. But it is the specifics on some brands that was interesting. And of course, some high end stuff creates a Pavlov effect on audio lovers. But what is there in a little saliva after all?
Old 14th May 2007, 20:34   #48
BHPian

I agree with determinus... before visiting this site I was almost done with the config of xxxy later changed my mind and went for the JBL
however i See that xxxy is the one which is selling like a hot cake , why is it that many ppl are not aware of the other brands like hertz,jbl,boston,alpine,pio etc etc
Old 14th May 2007, 22:53   #49
BHPian

I guess because most of us are obsessed with sasta, sundar & tikau & SQ be damned.
Old 14th May 2007, 23:58   #50
BHPian

may its time for JBL to start the publicity ...blau' ad is bakwas compared to its product.

the other reason could be the network of xxxy ...and publicity

Half of Bangalore indicas ( CABS esp Call centre ones) are of XPLOD and damn that sticker creates the hype
Old 15th May 2007, 04:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Half of Bangalore indicas ( CABS esp Call centre ones) are of XPLOD and damn that sticker creates the hype
dude check the HU again. I have seen very neat replicas!
Old 15th May 2007, 10:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Sony has a good brand image(those expensive TVs, DVD players, Mobiles) etc etc..

perhaps thats what is making people think of it as a great choice.

Then there are people who dont know abt many brands.
(i came to know abt JBL,boston,alpine etc once i started reading these threads)

Also these dealers try to push sony products. i am yet to install music system in my new car due to some budget issues. but i always had the budget for buying those sasta players which can play "Himesh reshamiya" songs well.

So i am just waiting for the right time to load my car with the best system possible.
Old 15th May 2007, 12:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

I saw the good-bad-ugly link mentioned by determinus... it is GREAT I must say. Surely, I will vouch for brands (and specific product series) mentioned in "highly recommended" lists. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't bring it to everybody's notice. Hiding it is like defeating the purpose of a forum like this. In fact it should be included in a suitable sticky!

I think open discussions on internet are much more trustworthy as compared to manufacturer's literature full of word "TM" (trade-marks) and promotional stories written by "professional critics" for magazines, news paper articles and the likes.... leave alone advertisements
Old 24th June 2007, 21:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If you have JBL components, there is a jumper inside for the highs only, that has 2 choices 0 and +3db. I suspect your highs are set at +3db, put them to zero immediately.
@Sam: I'm using JBL GTO 506 components.. Opened the x-over rencently and could not find any jumper setting.. I guess there's a jumper setting only in the 7-series..

Here's an update on my EQ settings..

Low - +2 (40Hz - 2W)
Mid - 0 (1KHz - 2W)
Hi - -2 (12.5KHz - 2W)

Loud - Low/Off

SLA - -2 (realised that a higher gain gives out more treble compared to lower gain at the same reference level..)

Eq-Ex
Bass - 0
Treble - -1 (6.5KHz) (I prefer this setting since I dont get ear fatigue at higher volumes, though I do lose out a bit on detail, but I guess you haveto compromise somewhere..)

P.S. Upgraded to 937s in the rear and getting better reflex.. the 937s go lower than the 936s and don't boom at that ~80Hz mark.. I guess thats the whole Low-Q funda..

cheers!
Old 24th June 2007, 21:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
SLA - -2 (realised that a higher gain gives out more treble compared to lower gain at the same reference level..)
SLA does not change the way treble sounds.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
SLA does not change the way treble sounds.
Technically speaking you are absolutely right! SLA is basically a gain setting, so it should not affect treble in any way...

but.. I did find a slight increase in treble at a higher gain setting.. its probably just me..
Old 25th June 2007, 10:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Technically speaking you are absolutely right! SLA is basically a gain setting, so it should not affect treble in any way...

but.. I did find a slight increase in treble at a higher gain setting.. its probably just me..
Technically it must not increase the treble but If you are getting it then there must be something wrong some where...like the gains are set to high which distort when the volume is increased

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks