Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Pioneer v/s Panasonic HU

Hi guys,

Everybody appreciates Pioneer HUs but there isnt much discussion about Panasonic.

I bought Panasonic RX101 entry level HU with front Aux in and 50WX4, 1 RCA preout 2V for Rs 4200/- with Bill and Warranty from Auto shop in Bangalore

I compared the sound quality with Pioneer 2050(grey market) and found the Panasonic to be better and the Pioneer 2050 costs 4000/- without Bill and waranty.

Wanted to the know the opinion of you guys, of which one is better.

I also bought:
JBL GT5-S205 51/4 inch for front -> Rs 1900/-
JBL GT5-396 Oval speakers for Rear -> Rs 2500/-
Everything in Bill and Warranty
Total Cost including Harness and Plank was 9.5K.
Please let me know if this price was reasonable

Cheers,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 8th March 2009 at 15:39.
Old 8th March 2009, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Pioneers were never great for the SQ, and sold mainly on price/availablity/features.

Now that a certain abominable beast is in charge of Panasonic in india , we might have a few surprises coming up!
Old 8th March 2009, 15:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

1RCA Preout.
Dont you think thats a bit too less.
You should have gone for a HU with atleast 2 preouts so that you can add a sub later.

Rest the price seems ok.

P.S. You get the Pioneer 3050 for around 5k without bill and warranty and the HUs without motorized panels are not known to give troubles easily.

Also that has 2 3V pre outs.!
Old 8th March 2009, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic anyday infront of Pioneer
Old 8th March 2009, 16:03   #5
BANNED

Panasonic makes good HUs.
Their build is good and sounds great too. Compared to a Pioneer, I would recommend a Panasonic.

For 4.2k, you've got a decent HU with bill and warranty. I think they also have some good HUs with 2 pre outs in the 5k+ price range.

Expect Panasonic to make some good impacts in the indian sub continent soon! Ain't it Sam?
Old 8th March 2009, 22:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic has a long way to go wrt to taking over the ring from Pioneer.
Pioneer speakers might be below average.But, while they're HUs are not the sweetest sounding of all, they definitely sound decent, have a easy user interface and last really really long.
And the best part is they're absolute VFM. Compare their US prices vis a vis the gray market prices here and you would know.
This is why "importers" get them in container loads and Pioneer HUs are stocked up by almost every ICE shop in the country.
Old 8th March 2009, 23:02   #7
BHPian

Panasonic,not because i own one. :-)
what I loved with panasonic is the reading speed. and they have priced it good.
i got mine just about a month back. with b&w about 6K.. it has 3 rca out, motorised panel for inserting the cds, aux in(fixed a ipod cable into - the shop gave it free for me)
poineers also are good.. but they also have the undue advantage of being in the market for a long time and also people equate it to ICE, it is a forgone conclusion that the HU is going to be a pioneer. now i guess they have competition.
Old 8th March 2009, 23:42   #8
BHPian

Pioneer headunits may not sound the best of the lot but it still manages its signature sound and features / technology MOSFET, OLED lights etc etc. They keep us satisfied with the features across the price range and impress to run forever.The only downside I have felt is the lousy / flimsy panel it comes with.
Panasonic, I dont know; with no offence meant to anybody, I feel they should stick to their plasma's and camcorders.All value for money.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:52   #9
BHPian

Thanks Guys, I was pleasantly surprised that so many people like Panasonic.

Quote:
Dont you think thats a bit too less.
You should have gone for a HU with atleast 2 preouts so that you can add a sub later.

Rest the price seems ok.

P.S. You get the Pioneer 3050 for around 5k without bill and warranty and the HUs without motorized panels are not known to give troubles easily.

Also that has 2 3V pre outs.!
Well, I am not that much into music. For all you know, I might tune in to FM radio only . Also, if I put a sub in the boot, whatever little boot is there in the Indica Vista will also get occupied and then will have problems with keeping luggage for long trips.
Hence, I thought best to stick with entry level HU.

I feel the front JBL GT5-S205 5 1/4'' coaxial speaker dont really pack a punch.
It peak power is only 160W.
The JBL 61/2 " coaxial speakers produce 200W, so I think it would be a perfect for front doors, but then the Vista doors cannot accomodate it

Any suggestions guys for the front speakers? I dont really want to spend too much more also not sure if I will be able to exchange the front speakers, but I will try.
Waiting for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 9th March 2009, 22:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

wait for a while , and upgrade to components in front, and for the bass, a pair of 6x9's ( how about the 938) on a wooden tray in the rear

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks