Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 22:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
BTW look at the picture again, the imprint doesnt only adjust frequency curves. It also does adjustments in the time domain ie the curves on the right are the time response graphs, this is how it corrects for the imaging and staging to become centred properly and it also works on the crossover ie any manual crossover settings you have are adjusted totally besides for subwoofer phase. the crossover adjustments is a thing i dont really like since i reckon it wont be long before the imprint adjusts a driver to levels it cant really work at but it does adjust the crossover settings too so if you want to use the imprint on the 9887 then you have to live with this which is why i think that getting a more basic headunit with a C701 (or audison bit one) works out much better than a 9887 with imprint
I think it is the Graphic or parametric with a hint of TA is done by the Imprint nothing else. I am using the PXA since the last 2 years. A very nice piece of equipment I would say. If tuned properly it does wonders in ones car.

About the 9887 I did not liked its native sound. Do not know how it sounds when tunned with a Imprint.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think it is the Graphic or parametric with a hint of TA is done by the Imprint nothing else. I am using the PXA since the last 2 years. A very nice piece of equipment I would say. If tuned properly it does wonders in ones car.

About the 9887 I did not liked its native sound. Do not know how it sounds when tunned with a Imprint.
It's definatly using the parametric eq the TA is more than just a hint as I stated before taking measurements from each side of the instrument cluster and implimenting them is something we can't do, it's an extremely useful tool for the imprint ready hu's, I personally am not a big fan of alpine hu's, this is the first time i have purchased one, this was only because i got a real bargain on the unit, I prefer kenwood, clarion and jvc, these are what we used to use for competitions in the UK many years ago, that said I would prefer a set up with mcintosh hooked up to tube amps, but beyond my budget. After all that I'm very happy with the 9887 and more so since the imprint tuning, luckily i found a good honest dealer who was offering this service for free of charge, i didn't even buy the unit from him, i was the first to use the kit and done it predominantly myself, he was suitably impressed with the results, it was a learning process for the both of us. I hope others in India with the 9887 etc will use this system, it's really worth while.

Cheers

Ps. Thanks to naughty001 for his elaboration on imprint, the info is freely available checkout DIYMA and Talk Audio Forums, there is plenty of discussion on these forums if anyone requires further info.

Last edited by stefanm : 20th August 2009 at 23:51. Reason: additional
Old 20th August 2009, 23:50   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My wife has got herself a Alpine 650. It will be installed in her car sometime between the 26th of March and 1st of April. I'll ask her for her opinion on the changes she notices
wifey did notice. I told her I did nothing. Did not want to tell her that I spent 25K or so just for the processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
After saving the desired response, one can manually access these settings in the processor menu.?
Where?

Quote:
I think it is the Graphic or parametric with a hint of TA is done by the Imprint nothing else.
Most processors (other than the 3-4 mentioned on this thread) dont even do this much. LBM the next generation of processors are going to get a lot better.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:58   #34
BHPian

[quote=navin;1442571]wifey did notice. I told her I did nothing. Did not want to tell her that I spent 25K or so just for the processor.

Was in a positive feedback?
My wife always questions why I spend days on tuning and making other alterations, my answer is 'It's my hobby' then she puts on whatever she wants to listen to, i say nothing, the response is always 'oh wow, what did you do?' answer 'I told you it's my hobby!'
Old 21st August 2009, 02:38   #35
naughty001

Quote:

the 9887 sounds more than decent when tuned with the imprint, but many people would prefer other brands

imprint also definitely does more than a hint of T/A, and it also tunes the crossover, thats been a common complaint ie people would prefer if it didnt

LBM - i can guarantee that you will not like the sound after its been imprinted, the bass will be too soft for your tastes judging from your nickname here

Old 21st August 2009, 11:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most processors (other than the 3-4 mentioned on this thread) dont even do this much. LBM the next generation of processors are going to get a lot better.
Ya I think but todays processors will become OLD SCHOOL and few people like old school stuff.

Quote:
LBM - i can guarantee that you will not like the sound after its been imprinted, the bass will be too soft for your tastes judging from your nickname here
Ha ha ha..you knew know. I my car the subs are generally played at very low volume. It is when somebody needs a demo the beast is unleashed.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Naughty, you should have considered his signature as well, he is playing his second inning now. So, he may like imprint more than his old processors.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:57   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Was in a positive feedback?
Yup she said the bass sounded more 'sorted out' I assume she felt that the TA was adequate and the abss felt like it was coming from the front.

Prior to the Alpine I had tricked her system (ipod->HU->amps->speakers) to tame the highs. With the imprint I still had to trick it a bit as we both like the sound a bit laid back and imprint was giving us a ruler flat response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
So, he may like imprint more than his old processors.
While most of the gurus here are a bit mad, LBM is in another league altogether - positively insane.

Inspired by LBM's Swift and ZZ Top's 'Master of Sparks'
ZZ Top - Master of Sparks Track - Yahoo! Music

L-B-M came floatin in
Down from the Fari-da-bad.
Gettin tight on Appy's bite,
To wash down his 'Sarson ka Saag'.

He invited me just to come and see
Just what was in his Swift
Black as night, Loud as hell
I guess you get the drift.

In the back sat 100 pounds
of woofer, wood and steel
Welded by L-B-M,
it was the real deal.

How fine, they cried, now with you inside,
Strapped in there safe and sound.
I prayed, "my-o-my, I'm gonna die"
and prepared for my bruial mound.

L-B-M was pleased when I had eased
Into his trap of death.
He had slammed the doors and said no more
as I'd breathed my last breath.

We was out in the sticks down NH 6
And the crowd was just about right.
The bass was too, so out I flew
Like a stick of rollin dynamite.

When I hit the ground you could hear the sound
BOOM BOOM was all I felt.
End over end I began to spin
my stomach turned into hell.

But it was too late as I met my fate
And the amps started gettin hot.
But through the BOOM and DIN I knew that I
was going 6 feet under to rot.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... LBM is in another league altogether - positively insane.

Small correction (you had made a wimpy vegetarian out of the hot-blooded carnivore that Bhai McLBM Singhji Freedabadwale is):

L-B-M came floatin in
Down from the Free-da-bad.
To wash down his 'Tandoori Kuk-kad' ...
Old 21st August 2009, 17:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Inspired by LBM's Swift and ZZ Top's 'Master of Sparks'
ZZ Top - Master of Sparks Track - Yahoo! Music

L-B-M came floatin in
Down from the Fari-da-bad.
To wash down his 'Sarson ka Saag'.

He invited me just to come and see
Just what was in his Swift
Black as night, Loud as hell
I guess you get the drift.

In the back sat 100 pounds
of woofer, wood and steel
Welded by L-B-M,
it was the real deal.

How fine, they cried, now with you inside,
Strapped in there safe and sound.
I prayed, "my-o-my, I'm gonna die"
and prepared for my bruial mound.

L-B-M was pleased when I had eased
Into his trap of death.
He had slammed the doors and said no more
as I'd breathed my last breath.

We was out in the sticks down NH 6
And the crowd was just about right.
The bass was too, so out I flew
Like a stick of rollin dynamite.

When I hit the ground you could hear the sound
BOOM BOOM was all I felt.
End over end I began to spin
my stomach turned into hell.

But it was too late as I met my fate
And the amps started gettin hot.
But through the BOOM and DIN I knew that I
was going 6 feet under to rot.
Navin, this deserves standing ovation!!
Old 21st August 2009, 18:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Oh...wow! So Navin is a seasoned poet as well! I guess some credit should go to Sam too, for inspiring?
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:24   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Oh...wow! So Navin is a seasoned poet as well! I guess some credit should go to Sam too, for inspiring?
Guys this stuff is juvenile. Just some fun at LBM's expense who I assume will forgive me.

DA has seen some of my better writings. During one short 3 year burst in the late 80s I penned about 100 songs (registered under "dudsongs" with SESAC; ASCAP and BMI are for the professionals).
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

No issues Navin Ji..it is all fun and frolic at the ICE section on T-BHP.

Waiting for Sam and Ajay Bhai to join the discussion so they can also deliver there thoughts.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 22nd August 2009 at 12:37.
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:26   #44
naughty001

as to regards whether the imprint actually sets the crossover or not, heres a reply from DIYMA that should sort out that point

Quote:
I just asked that exact question to Alpine's tech support (1-800-tech 101) and he said that the Imprint software will just set the xover and slopes to whatever it sees as appropriate to get the sound field desired - regardless of what speakers you have in there. So if you have tweets that can only play well down to 3500Hz, theres no guarantee that the software won't cross them over at 2200HZ and potentially blow up your tweets.....

He told me that in that case, using the Imprint software might not be such a good idea....... THANKS ALPINE - ANOTHER QUALITY PRODUCT!
he was obviously being sarcastic when thanking alpine

the post is no. 102 in this thread

Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint Kit (KTX-100EQ) - DIY Mobile Audio

read through that thread for lots of info on the 9887 plus imprint, its one of the reference threads for 9887 owners, especially those that have imprint

remember though that this obviously only affects you when you are running fully active because when you are running passive the crossover points determined by imprint only relate to the highpass of the midbass driver and the lowpass of the sub. If you run passive the crossover point between mid/midbass drivers and tweeter is still determined by the passive crossover

most times when i have used the imprint in conjunction with a 9887 whilst utilizing the onboard crossover of the unit, it has been on cars running full active, so this point definitely has affected my usage of it

oh and one other thing i've forgotten above is that the subwoofer level adjustment can be adjusted after running the imprint because it isnt in the same area of settings as the EQ or T/A or crossover - to access the subwoofer levels you depress the volume pot once, and the first setting you reach would be subwoofer volume - so the imprint setting is best done at level 0 - this then will give you the flat response bass - and without having to tweak gains on the amp will allow you to increase bass levels up to +15 on the headunit itself ...... so there is a solution for the "bass demo mode" after all

Last edited by naughty001 : 22nd August 2009 at 13:31.

Old 22nd August 2009, 13:58   #45
naughty001

sorry for following on to my own post but i cannot edit my post anymore and i just wanted to add the fact that i also have audyssey on my home theatre reciever and have run it multiple times there as well so nothing that goes on in the alpine is a mystery, it just follows what the home theatre receivers do but on HT receivers the what we call time alignment in a car setup takes the form of speaker distance adjustment

the microphones also seem identical on my denon HT receiver and the imprint unit, so as i have said no huge differences exist in the procedures they follow. a description of my HT setup can be found at, so you can see that im not just talking about something i havent done or dont know about

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/61646-my-home-theatre-setup.html

Last edited by naughty001 : 22nd August 2009 at 14:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks