Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Locked Headunit - KENWOOD

Hi All, I am facing a problem with my head unit in belano. The head unit is a kenwood make. It was all working well and good. But when i did the gas conversion, the battery has been removed and the head unit got locked. I have tried the default password, but didnt work. I really dont remember setting a password for it. Is there any way i can unlock it?
Old 20th March 2009, 16:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sigh !
Same thing happened to my stock Kenwood HU. It was removed to test another HU. When it was re-installed we discovered it was locked. This is apparently a security feature. If I recall correctly (this happened in 2007), the FM still plays, but CD's cannot be played unless it's unlocked.

The dealership where the install was taking place, called up Kenwood service. They said, the passcode must have been provided in a small barcode-type sticker along with the HU manual provided by Maruti. I'm sure I did not receive any such passcode. Maruti dealership had no clue. Was forced to buy a new HU.

There must be some way for Kenwood to dig up the code based on the serial number? I never followed up though.

What default code did you try to use?
Old 20th March 2009, 17:37   #3
BHPian

i dont remember the default code. It was given by one of my friend who works in MAS which was of no use. You were lucky that your FM worked. In my case the head unit is good for nothing as of now. Is it possible to decode it? I dont want to go for a new one unless and otherwise there is no other go. The model no: is KDC-MP 5029V.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is completely weird. Do other HUs have the same issue? If so, Kenwood should be a nono for all of us. Who bothers with HU passwords, anyways?
Old 20th March 2009, 19:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Locked HU.
Damn thats sad.
I wouldn't prefer a HU with password which autolocks if battery is removed or something.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:14   #6
BHPian

You can try one thing, put your head unit in a deep freezer, for 30mins to 1hour, this sometimes unlocks head unit codes and allows you to enter a new code, it doesn't always work but definatly worth a try. I had done this a few years ago on a blaupunkt h/u.

Good luck, if that fails try google maybe an alternative solution could be found.
Old 21st March 2009, 07:43   #7
BHPian

stefanm, even i have heard of freezing the HU will unlock the code. But didnt belive coz it sounded that way. Now if the only option left out is to change the HU, then I think its worth a try. BTW what was the result in your case?
Old 21st March 2009, 11:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
stefanm, even i have heard of freezing the HU will unlock the code. But didnt belive coz it sounded that way. Now if the only option left out is to change the HU, then I think its worth a try. BTW what was the result in your case?
It worked for me, but make sure you keep it well sealed in a couple of plastic bags to avoid moisture, once removed from the freezer( i would recommend 1 hour) leave in for a time to get to room temperature, then give it a try.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:14   #9
BHPian

will do it tomorrow. Will update on it. Thanks
Old 21st March 2009, 12:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

never heard that putting it in a deep freezer can help sounds petty weird and i am surprised that it worked for you (stefen),i hope this will works for zacs also.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

My guess it that freezing may be erasing some data stored on permanent memories (flash), not so sure. But if that is true, it may clear some other data/settings as well, other than password thingy!
Old 21st March 2009, 13:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

@zacs you can try this Security unlock code KENWOOD most models - FixYa

don't know whether this will work or not but found it so.

Last edited by karankapoor : 21st March 2009 at 13:21.
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:28   #13
BHPian

thanks karan for the web link. Hope it works for me. Let me try out this and hence the freezing part is kept on hold. thanks once again
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
You can try one thing, put your head unit in a deep freezer, for 30mins to 1hour, this sometimes unlocks head unit codes and allows you to enter a new code, it doesn't always work but definatly worth a try. I had done this a few years ago on a blaupunkt h/u.

Good luck, if that fails try google maybe an alternative solution could be found.

Shocking , never heard any such thing ever . Though i would never try such thing ever .
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:57   #15
JPL
BHPian

Seems like breaking the ICE!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks