Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 21:37   #1
BHPian

Reva - tinny Ice Sound Quality

Dear ICE GODS,
I have a REVA which is used for the office commute. I spend around 90 minutes every day in the car.
I have an ALPINE CD unit and BOSTON RALLY SERIES 4" speakers, 2 in the front+2 in the back.
The front speakers are mounted in the plastic dash enclosures, the tweeters are mounted on the dash angled upwards.
The rear speakers are mounted in a plyboard enclosure which sits in the miniscule boot.
The reason I tried this was that I felt that the platic dash has the lousy-est accoustic properties in the world and the speakers sounded tinny(in spite of thier capabilities, they still do). The speakers I feel are good and their class comes out when I play them really loud (something that I cant do often).
I cant add an amp as it would drain the batteries.
I like detailed sound with good bass, at medium volumes and listen to mostly rock/pop.
I have spent a fair packet and feel I have good equipment------but puleeeese,please help me improve the sound quality.
Old 20th March 2009, 22:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

put some some 6x9's in a ported box in the rear if you have the space !
Old 20th March 2009, 22:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

1. 4" speakers are not capable of much below 100Hz.
2. you mgiht need to modify all panels and ensure that the sound from the front of the speaker does not meet that from the back of the speaker.
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:29   #4
BHPian

Hi Greeenhorn,
Tried that but no space for a 6".
But a "ported" box?? Could you elaborate please.

"you mgiht need to modify all panels and ensure that the sound from the front of the speaker does not meet that from the back of the speaker."
Sorry for the ignorance, but would that be because of the poor acoustic absorbtion properties of the plastic dash material?
Tried damping the inside with some foam but not much improvement.
Toying with the idea of using some good audio damping material to line the inside of the enclosure.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd March 2009 at 23:03. Reason: Vicki, please do not make these back to back posts. Use the multiquote and the edit buttons to suitably amend/edit/extend your posts.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

a ported box is one of those boxes with a hole and sometimes a tube attatched to the box. ported boxes have more bass output than a sealed one.

what navin meant is , the plastic install location may have been designed with ease of install in mind , and not for the acoustic properties. when you use a speaker, the sound from the speaker's back should not interfere with the front - if it happens , you will lose sound, mostly bass.

This was how the front speaker was initially installed in my indica
note the space around the base of the speaker rim, and the three slots used fit the stock speaker grille. these will leak sound and reduce bass

In the end , I used a ring of double sided foam tape at the base of the speaker to seal it off, and the bass improved significantly

Most 4"ers dont come with their own grille, and using it on the dash can make it look ugly

This is how the average dash install looks like. note that the alignment is not proper, and the speaker does not sit flush with the plastic surface. In addition, the slots for the stock grille are there too, and sound leakage happens

this is a better setup. note how that the space around the speaker rim is sealed, and the wagon R doesnt have slots cut in the surface to fit the grille, so its not an issue I guess

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd March 2009 at 23:01.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

damping the problematic areas would yield good results at a not so high cost. also, custom enclosures for each speaker would be a good idea. you could also try something wacky like a kickpod for the front speakers but i really cannot suggest a design for something like that without looking closely at the doors of the reva.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:55   #7
BHPian

Greenhorn/Navin & Frankmehta,
Thanks, what you guys suggest makes a whole lot of sense.
I think there is atleast a few weekends of visits to the intaller.
BTW the front speakers of the REVA are in the dash and not in the door.
Will keep everyone posted.
Cheers.

Most Viewed