Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 18:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I second Navin's question. Why the need for a retrofit power antenna?
Old 17th September 2007, 19:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I second Navin's question. Why the need for a retrofit power antenna?
Please note the thread was originally started in May 2005. I didn't want to start a new thread when one already existed. My problem is that the antenna is faulty and MAY need replacing, I wanted to check out my options so that I don't make an on-the-spot rash decision and buy a poor quality replacement.
Any recommendations you can make Sam through your experience?
Old 17th September 2007, 19:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I can tell you that spending more and buying it from the company is pointless. I would recommend you keep a budget of under 1000 and get it replaced from a reputed aftermarket dealer, like poona motors.
Old 17th September 2007, 21:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I think I need a replacement power antenna for my car. The antenna won't always fully retract and gets stuck. Are these things serviceable?
What high quality brands are available and at what cost?
I have a power antenna for the Baleno for the last two years. It makes groaning noises, and gets stuck on partial retract sometimes. I just extend the antenna by putting on the HU, wipe the antenna down with a cloth sprayed with WD-40, wipe again with a clean cloth. This works for about a month or 45 days when the process needs to be repeated.
Old 26th December 2013, 11:48   #20
BHPian

Re: Power Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Cheap chinese ones are available for 400-500 Rs. Try to get a Japanese make (I dont know the name) which could last a little while.
So my esteems power antenna broke its nylon rack. Need a new one. Trouble is i just moved to chennai a month ago. Can you tell me where i can find one in this city and at a good price?
Old 4th January 2014, 23:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
So my esteems power antenna broke its nylon rack. Need a new one. Trouble is i just moved to chennai a month ago. Can you tell me where i can find one in this city and at a good price?
I am sorry I am not around here much these days which explains the delay in answering your question.

I would suggest you get it replaced with MASS. If you think they are too much, go to G.P Road, before that pray to your God and trust a good bloke will come along to do justice and charge you reasonably.

If all above fail, send me a PM, but dont expect me to respond immediately 'cos i rarely come here these days. Send me an email instead.

cheers
Old 5th January 2014, 08:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
I found MASS to be of little help in my case. They could only recommend that I replace the entire unit (I had a broken antenna), for about 3K.

Finally reached out to the Nippon guys in Bangalore. It cost me Rs 1500/- to replace just the antenna.
It has been working well for over a year now.

Please see if you can reach Nippon Chennai for help, before you go to the local shops.
rakirank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 10:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Finally reached out to the Nippon guys in Bangalore. It cost me Rs 1500/- to replace just the antenna.
Can you please share the shop details, from where you sourced the power antenna in Bengaluru?
Old 18th December 2019, 14:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I have two power antenna’s on my cars.

A factory fitted one on my Jaguar XJR and a DIY one I fitted on my Mercedes W123.

I managed to break the one on my Jaguar twice. Twice, yes I know very stupid, I managed to extend in whilst in the car Wash! I actually remembered to pull it down, but whilst sitting in the car for a few minutes, I wanted to listen to the radio, switched it on and that was it.

Depending on type, replacing the antenna itself is usually very easy. I have done it twice!

On some cheaper models you might not be able to replace it.

On the Jaguar the antenna extends automatically when you power up the audio system. On the Mercedes I installed a separate switch that powers the antenne independent of the audio system. It means I can listen to cassette tapes and my iPod without extending the antenna. The switch is a very simple on/off push button and I mounted it inside the ash tray, so it is not visible, nor does it affect the originality of the car, or the ash tray. It fitted into the cigarette extinguish hole inside the ash tray! It switches 12V+ directly to the antenna motor.

I have tried to modify the Jaguar system similar to the W123, but that is just not feasible.

Installing a power antenna is, mechanically, very similar to just an ordinary antenna. You do need to connect the aerial cable and the power cable, that can be a bit of work ensuring the cables are properly tucked away. As the motor and gearing sits at the bottom and is kind of a heavy, you might need to install some extra bracket to ensure it is held in place properly.

It is important to regularly clean the antenna. That goes for a manual one, but even more important for power ones. Just run a rag up and down the antenna. I use teflon based bicycle chain oil now and then on it. Fully extend the antenna and put a drop of oil on each intersection. Move the antenna up and down a few times, then run a rag over it.

Other than my mishaps in the car wash, I never had any problem with them.

I think having a power antenna is one of the coolest gadgets on my cars!

I will be happy to share some photographs of my W123 set up if anybody is interested.

Jeroen
Old 18th December 2019, 14:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

The last car I had with a power antenna was the Hyundai Accent GLS which I bought in 1999. It worked well and was a 'party trick' then, it would go up when the radio was switched on. It lasted and worked well till I sold the car in 2005 after 6 years. My next car the Elantra had an antenna printed on the rear wind shield. I don't know about after market power antennae, I think you could stay away from it or go for a shark fin antenna instead of the power antenna.
Old 18th December 2019, 20:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
Can you please share the shop details, from where you sourced the power antenna in Bengaluru?
The Nippon guys brought it over.

Try this no. 8553504388. Name is Saravana. He is/was a Nippon representative for Blr.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed