Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2005, 14:25   #1
BHPian

Power Antenna

The Baleno lxi comes with a manual antenna as a standard fitting... i am interested in going in for a power antenna .. my qtns

1) is it worth it
2) best place to have it fitted as it would involve cutting the car body
3) apprx costs
4) Any negative impact - rusting etc...

The dealer from whom i got my music sys fitted, adviced me against it... what does the forum have to say on this?

cheers
Old 13th May 2005, 16:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

any particular need for apower antenna? have you had your antenna stolen?
Old 13th May 2005, 17:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
any particular need for apower antenna? have you had your antenna stolen?
nope... not stolen..

reasons are ease of operations. esp. monsoons.. and the "novelty" factor
Old 13th May 2005, 18:11   #4
bhp
BHPian

u can also ask for a quot frm the maruti service station as power antenna is a standard fitment in the vxi variant
Old 14th May 2005, 01:00   #5
BHPian

power antenna is fine. but i would heavily suggest getting it done from maruti as their work is much more sharp. hav an esteem. did decide to get it. but decided otherwise.
there are also some internal antennas. if u just need ease of use, u might wanna consider it.
Old 16th September 2007, 18:08   #6
BHPian

I think I need a replacement power antenna for my car. The antenna won't always fully retract and gets stuck. Are these things serviceable?
What high quality brands are available and at what cost?
Old 16th September 2007, 18:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I think I need a replacement power antenna for my car. The antenna won't always fully retract and gets stuck. Are these things serviceable?
What high quality brands are available and at what cost?
Can be serviced at a pinch, but only by someone who knows what they are doing. If it came OEM with the car, perhaps the service guys will be able to do it.

1. You could try cleaning the shafts with some brake oil (don't use thinners etc.) and even dribble a few drops into the retractable part. Put up and retract the antenna a couple of times by switching the HU on and off, maybe it will free up by itself

2. Check if one of the pipes is bent or nicked. Try setting it right softly. If not, you may need to replace the assembly
Old 16th September 2007, 20:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have been asked to avoid these antennae by many folks. The reason given by them are that it does not last long, specially the after market ones.
Old 16th September 2007, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have been asked to avoid these antennae by many folks. The reason given by them are that it does not last long, specially the after market ones.
I am going to try and get the one that's already fitted serviced, BUT if it needs replacing, I am doing my homework to find a replacement.
What brands to go for and which ones to avoid?
How much are replacements anyway?
Old 16th September 2007, 21:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Cheap chinese ones are available for 400-500 Rs. Try to get a Japanese make (I dont know the name) which could last a little while.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:38   #11
BANNED

don't know the brand... but i got one for 750/-, it's been an year and 4 months.. no problems!
Old 17th September 2007, 12:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

1.Can anyone gimme the shops apart from maruti, hyndai dealers in Bangalore where I can get this power antenna fixed.

2.How much does esteem Power antenna cost .I'm talking abt MGP
Old 17th September 2007, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I've been using a Power Antenna for about a year plus now - had purchased it for about 750/- working absolutely fine.

Just make sure the installer ACTUALLY connects it to the stereo. In my case, after a month I realized that he had ONLY connected the wire that made it go up-and-down and NOT connected it to the signal wire. When I went back to him and pointed out the problem he simply replied - Surrjee aapki galti hai .. aapko batana chahiye tha agar ki connect karn do .. baaki log to sirf show key leeye lagatein hain !!!

:O
Old 17th September 2007, 14:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Just make sure the installer ACTUALLY connects it to the stereo. In my case, after a month I realized that he had ONLY connected the wire that made it go up-and-down and NOT connected it to the signal wire. When I went back to him and pointed out the problem he simply replied - Surrjee aapki galti hai .. aapko batana chahiye tha agar ki connect karn do .. baaki log to sirf show key leeye lagatein hain !!!
:O

How perceptive of the gentleman - he should be awarded for "Best creative excuse for not having done something"!
Old 17th September 2007, 16:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
car. The antenna won't always fully retract and gets stuck. Are these things serviceable?
I had a similar problem with the antenna on my car. Cleaning & oiling proved futile (at home and by MUL service). Plus it made all sorts of groaning noises audible primarily from inside the car.

Finally got it replaced under warranty. The OEM Baleno antenna is of Nippon make I think. It now works fine, though a bit of groaning remains. Got stuck once though, 2 months after replacement.

I'm told that the OEM antenna costs Rs. 3700

Last edited by shuvc : 17th September 2007 at 16:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks