Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2009, 00:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help req - Alpine Ida X200, velocity and bull audio - pics added

Hi All,
today my frind came down from the US and had with him a shine new Alpine ida X200 digital media reciever. Am planning to run that off with an ipod or WD passport. My brother has donated a blaupunkt GTA 450 and a velocity DVS sub in a closed box. (no holes or anything)

what should i get for front components and rear 6*9 ?
I was thinking about the hertz components(5.25'') for 4500 and have not given any thoughts about the rear ovals.

max budget i can have is 7k for front components and rear fill. kindly advice.

OT: i have no idea about the performance of the GTA 450. how is this amp?

Blaupunkt - Amplifiers - GTA-Series - GTA 450

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - iDA-X200

regards,
govigov
Old 28th March 2009, 01:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

you dont need 6x9's with a sub, and i doubt your budget or your car can accomodate them anyway

get a pair of matching 5" coaxials
Old 28th March 2009, 01:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am ready to just buy the components for now and rear filll at a later time. if thats the case, the budget for the components alone can go upto 7k.

@greenhorn, what to use for rear fill in that case. the rear has a 6*9 oval space for the speakers, where the company speakers are running at the moment.
Old 28th March 2009, 07:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

hmm, i thought the ikon had 5x7 locations. You really dont need 6x9's if you have a sub, since they are used primarily to get more bass. 5" coax should be all you need , since the bass is taken care of by the sub anyway. What specific details do you need ?
Try the brands recommended here - jbl, blaupunkt, hertz etc a pair of 5" comps + coax should cost about 8k
Old 28th March 2009, 09:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi! i suggest one thing. keep the company speakers as they are for the timebeing. make sure you dont amplify them and connect them to your head unit directly. the rears are quite of no use, and you will realise that once your front soundstage is good. as a good suggestion, i'd say take things part by part if you feel you absolutely have to get new rear fills. make sure you spend a decent amount on the fronts. a good set of speakers upfront would be the illusion electras or you could try out the classifieds, as chiragh_bir has put up his 3 week old MTX THS components for sale. only thing you must check is whether the 6.5 inch midbass of the components will fit in the stock slot of your car in the door. i dont think there would be a problem accomodating them (is it an ikon?)
anyways, you should PM bass&trouble on this forum if you want to purchase illusion speakers and chiragh_bir if you are interested in his MTX components.
cheers!
Old 28th March 2009, 14:03   #6

@govigov, what is the RMS Power handling of your sub.? The Velocity series usually are capable of handling 500W RMS power. In that case, for best performance they need to be well powered by atleast 60%-70% of their RMS power handling.

Let us know, how do u plan to utilize your amp. Are you planing it use it to power both front components and sub?
Old 28th March 2009, 23:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

ok guys, am in big TROUBLE!!!

purchased bull audio components, the components have good bass upfront, and really lacks a that good mid bass. as a result a lot of the vocals are drowned out. my car is now ideal for listenining to techno, which i dont :(

there are some settings in the alpine which are confusing, is there a particular vaule which i have to enter to change the focus point of the high range to a lower spectrum?

now, the problem with the sub. the DVC is now currently working with only a single voice coil activated, since the other 2 channels of amplifications are going to the compos

planning to buy a sony 4 channel amp to just drive the subs with all the four channels going for the velocity. (starting of may)

how to solve the mid bass problem is more worrying to me now.

let me head over to classifieds to see if i get some deals.
Old 29th March 2009, 00:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
ok guys, am in big TROUBLE!!!

purchased bull audio components, the components have good bass upfront, and really lacks a that good mid bass. as a result a lot of the vocals are drowned out. my car is now ideal for listenining to techno, which i dont :(

there are some settings in the alpine which are confusing, is there a particular vaule which i have to enter to change the focus point of the high range to a lower spectrum?

now, the problem with the sub. the DVC is now currently working with only a single voice coil activated, since the other 2 channels of amplifications are going to the compos

planning to buy a sony 4 channel amp to just drive the subs with all the four channels going for the velocity. (starting of may)

how to solve the mid bass problem is more worrying to me now.

let me head over to classifieds to see if i get some deals.
Which DVC sub are you using (Model No.) ? Impedance of each coil ?

And where is tweeter located ?
Old 29th March 2009, 01:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

@abhi,
dont know the model no: as it was given to me by my brother, velocity is written on it and is 12" in size. i know he was running 4 channels of his GTA 450 to drive this thing.

the front woofers are in the stock location and the tweeters are mounted in the dash, near the corners of the windscreen
Old 29th March 2009, 02:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

damping the front doors well could resolve the issue somehow. that, and get your HU and amp tuned by someone in the know.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:53   #11

I guess the subwoofer model is this.

Quote:
dont know the model no: as it was given to me by my brother, velocity is written on it and is 12" in size. i know he was running 4 channels of his GTA 450 to drive this thing.
GTA450 supports only the following configurations:

Quadro-Mode RMS Power 4 x 50 Watt / 4 ohms
Stereo-Mode RMS Power 2 x 160 Watt / 4 ohms
Quadro-Mode RMS Power 4 x 80 Watt / 2 ohms
See the manual

So, I don't know in what power configuration it was working.

and in the manual its mentioned that it can work in 3 - channel mode wherein one can connect 1 x 4-ohm + 2 x 2 ohms, though the power distribution is not mentioned. I guess, it would give out 50W x 2 (if bull audio are 4-ohm) + 160w x 1.

In the existing wiring, I advice you to put the DVCs in series and then power them up in resulting 4 ohm mode. Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong.

and regarding the bull audio components, Can you please tell us the model number? Or the impedance & RMS power handling ratings?

EDIT : forgot to mention, I guess, the subwoofer, like other velocity series, is a 2-ohm DVC.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2009 at 00:26. Reason: Posts merged
Old 30th March 2009, 04:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

ok. tuned the head unit. now getting a very good mid bass and high freq. lowfreq is still an issue. the amp is connected with the 2 channels goiong to the compos, and the other two chaneel is in bridged mode(i can see that the connections are taken from the extreme ends of the 2 channel output, which is bridged as per what is written on the amp). then it is connected to one of the coils of the sub leaving the other unwired.

how to wire the sub in series?

should i wire the sub with 2 pairs of wire goiong from the leaft rear and right rear of the amp to the 2 coils of the sub?

or

should i take a small piece of wire, connect the black of one coil to the red of the other coil and connect it to the amp with the red of one coil and the black of the other coil connected to the amp?

edit : the sub has got velocity written like a signature, no blue dots or triangle (like shown in the link above) is visible in the cone.

Last edited by govigov : 30th March 2009 at 04:35.
Old 30th March 2009, 05:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

ok after doing some research. the GTA 450 needs atleast 4ohms impedance in bridge mode for stabel operation. right now only 1 set of coil is used. which gives an impedance of 2ohms (yet to verify the impednace of the sub, but as per rahul link, it is 2*2ohms)

going by the above, right now i am running 2 ohms bridges at the amp which is NOT recommended and hence should go in for a series wiring of the sub.

the link below gives the 2 wiring option for a DVC sub.

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker

the above link is a very useful link, as you can select the drop downs, depending on the number of speakers and coils.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
ok. tuned the head unit. now getting a very good mid bass and high freq. lowfreq is still an issue.
HPF the compos at 80 Hz. They are designed to give low frequencies. Thats why we use a sub.

Something on wiring subwoofer in series.

Series Connection:
In a series connection you simply connect the positive terminal of COIL 1 to positive terminal of the amplifier. Then you connect the negative terminal of COIL 1 to the positive terminal of COIL 2. Then you connect the negative terminal of COIL 2 to the negative terminal of the amplifier. The total impedance will be 4 ohm in the case of the above mentioned sub.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:27   #15

Yes.. as shown in Option 2 (series) = 4 ohm load in that subwoofer wiring diagram.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks