Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 13:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
AM/FM Tuner connected to a pair of BOSE 301 Bookshelf Speakers and it still sounds Heavenly after 18 years of usage
So you have not heard a good setup till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
PPI itself is considered a producer of quality amps, no?
At one time they were. But dont know about them now.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:03   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
For me the sound quality is as follows in ascending order JBL->Polk->NakaMichi->Mutant

9K for the components

May be you will tell me that its very costly. But I really liked them after auditioning all the four in the same car.

Mutant is slightly better than Nakamichi and way ahead of JBL.
I appreciate what you're saying Baburaj. Did you compare these components to JBL and other brand components also costing 9000 rupees?

I hope you did not compare them to the normal 4000-5000 rupees JBL and Polk components, because that would be just wrong.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
I dont know about that but the speakers sound much better than polk and JBL. For me the sound quality is as follows in ascending order JBL->Polk->NakaMichi->Mutant

Mutant is slightly better than Nakamichi and way ahead of JBL.
Congrats on buying your stuff!

As Sam rightly pointed out, its indeed a fun thread!
Old 1st April 2009, 14:12   #34
BHPian

Tweeter yes. They are outside :-). But cross overs are not. They are concealed. The subWoofer is below the drivers seat. Will try to get a shot of that any way.

The guys at the shop were real good. My Vista had the stock Head Unit. It didnt have a sub woofer out . So what the did is this. They took the output to the back doors passed it through a low pass filter and gave it to the SubWoofer. How indigenous. And it works perfectly fine. The work is done so neatly that you will feel its fitted from the company itself.

Will post the pictures today for you to appreciate.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post

BTW, their site also mentions that Mutant brand is owed by company called "Armour Automotives" (Armour Auto [In-car Audio & Visual Entertainment Distributors]), which also owns many other brands. Out of them, I had heard about only two- Kicker and Orion.
I did some reading myself on that website and here is their uhh... explanation.
Quote:
“Mutant & Kicker Gain a New Playmate” – Aug ‘08

Once upon a time, Kicker was a happy, playful child. Doing well in school and getting very high grades. But Kicker knew how to have a good time too, going out to play at the weekends during the summer months making all the neighbourhood kids deaf with it’s very loud toy Hummer.
Then Kicker’s guardian, Armour, gave birth to Mutant. Unlike Kicker, Mutant was a miscreant and troublesome child; being much larier and more misbehaved than it’s older brother. But Mutant and Kicker learned to get along and were soon playing well together at all the shows with their toy cars; Kicker with it’s Hummer and Mutant with it’s Civic and RX8. But on August 1st, Mutant and Kicker’s parent guardian, Armour, adopted another playmate for the two noisy children by the name of Orion.
Orion was an orphan of the sadly departed Directed family. They had immigrated from America where Orion was very competitive and entered all the sound-off competitions against many of Kicker’s US relatives.
Mutant, Kicker and Orion tested out their new friendship at USC 2008 at Santa Pod Raceway where Orion brought along its Astra Van, built by the ICE Man Ian Pinder for them to play with. The three made it off to a great start; stealing the show with music, dancing and outrageous hair tricks.
So next time you’re out playing with your toy cars at a show, come along to our little playgroup and welcome Orion to the family with a big grin and a loud cheer when the Orion Astra Van blows your hat off with nothing but bass!!!
This umm.. kinda explains it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st April 2009 at 14:17.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
So you have not heard a good setup till then.
Actually NO,Last time I heard it was 4 years back, my preferences have changed ever since I been on the Forum,but all I got to hear are good car audio excluding the Onkyo,Marantz Demo rooms at shops :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I appreciate what you're saying Baburaj. Did you compare these components to JBL and other brand components also costing 9000 rupees?
I hope you did not compare them to the normal 4000-5000 rupees JBL and Polk components, because that would be just wrong.
Trust me Sam,the cheapest Polk components seems to be the easiest on your ear, the more you pay the more you damage your ears(MOMO,MM series etc)
Old 24th April 2009, 08:41   #37

hi guys,

I had been to a shop in Bangalore and I echo what most of them have to say about these speakers. I heard to songs of various genre ( Justin timberlake, Eminem,Enrique, MJ, kannada & hindi songs) and here is the price of the components I heard to
JBL - 5.6 K
Polk - 7.9 K
Mutant - 8.5 K.

Well, most of you might say that JBL is at a different class ( may be not ). But I feel that Mutant speakers are very good. The vocals are very good in this speaker ( the tweeter) . I would suggest that you give these speakers a try. I am mightily impressed. But then, it is one's choice really.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:59   #38
BHPian

Just got this information from the web. "Armor home" which is the company that make QED cables is a sister concern of mutant . That explains the detail to quality of Mutants. i will at any time go for Mutants against JBL or a polk . The sound quality of mutant should be heard to be believed. If you like mids in your songs and hear mid heavy songs then you should give mutant a try. It will blow you away.

Most Viewed