Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 20:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
you can go for caps.
I would advice to stay away from the caps..It is money spend more on bling than on actual audio system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Ankit,i already have a habit of playing loud music,and it is still less for me,that is why i want more and i am sure within a year of this install,i will put in more subs and amps.

Abhibh,what 3 big installs?AMP,SUB,HU?

Also as navin suggested,2 15" subs,so can any one suggest a good SQL 15" sub.
I also have a habit of listing loud like at one instance as I was driving out of a lane with blasting my setup people came out of there houses think they have just experienced a earthquake and this happens quite often.

But the question I want to ask you Abhay for how much duration you wanna play your setup, only then we can recommend further details on the batteries and alternator upgrade...

BIG 3 are there wires upgrade to thicker wires which are very thin when supplied by the car manufacturer. They are Battery ground to chassis ground, engine ground to chassis ground, and Alternator positive to battery positive terminal.
Old 5th April 2009, 21:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I would advice to stay away from the caps..It is money spend more on bling than on actual audio system.
i totally agree with you with the above statement but
sir ji cap help they make difference but not that much for what (price) they come at.
and i said one can use caps,but they are not as useful.
Old 5th April 2009, 22:30   #48
BHPian

i am a traveler,once i get my car i will be making long trips on almost every weekend,also will go to my college by car,so about 1 hour driving there also,then going out afterwards also.So totally saying i will spend about 4 hours everyday driving out of which i will listen to loud music about 3 hours(about 80%),also on the long holidays,i will keep it on loud but not very(about 60%).So this is it.
I will also get xenon lights,later on neons also,so if i have to change battery why not now,or if i do have to get a capacitor then why not now?
Also guys please do suggest a good 15" SQL sub.
Old 5th April 2009, 22:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

3hour of music that to at 80% of the volume .

i had read somewhere you will get your car in sep or oct,by that time idmax 15" will be out,so i will say go for this sub as you want sql/spl
Old 5th April 2009, 22:52   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOiLA View Post
i suppose u will have to get capacitors ? maybe ? experts throw some light on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Quote:
i totally agree with you with the above statement but
sir ji cap help they make difference but not that much for what (price) they come at.
Good amplifier power supplies have a decent ammount capacitors on the board already built in. If the amp needed any more capacitance it would have it.

Adding a cap without first upgrading the Big 3 can cause more harm than good. Stiffening caps have a low ESR which means that they charge very quickly. When they charge they draw a lot of current. If you have stock electrical system and you add a capacitor you add more load on the alternator.

Lets consider a good loud system with a cap.

Amp: 2400W = 2400/12 = 200A
Alternator: 100A
Battery: 100Ah
and a big low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) 15F cap.

Bass note hits. Battery cant deliver so cap discharges. now the alternator has to charge the battery and cap. Cap has lower ESR so it charges first but while the alternator is charging both battery and cap it is stressed so soon (as the prolonged electrical stresses convert to heat and the insulation in the winding fails) you have a dead alternator.

In my view the only reason to have a cap is if your electrical system cant deliver the power AND because of this lack of capability you notice the headlights dim on bass heavy notes AND this dimming disturbs you. Get a small 0.5-1F cap to reduce the dimming. This small cap will charge fast and not put undue stress on your alternator for a long time like a big 15F cap.

However before you do this first upgrade the wiring.
Old 5th April 2009, 23:06   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i will spend about 4 hours everyday driving out of which i will listen to loud music about 3 hours(about 80%)
I will not be party to your hearling loss! If you intend to listen to music for such long periods ensure that the music is not louder than 90db with peaks of 95db. Please listen to the old man.

In the 80s I worked in large recording studios, in radio stations, and even did the sound and sound reinforcement for a good band (on a multi city tour in the US). I know what prolonged exposure to loud music can do to one's hearing.

Quote:
but just 2 1000 watts monos for the 2 1000 watts subs (15").
Say you got 2 4ohm 15" subs in parallel at 93db/1W (2V) each.

Together they will have a sensitivity of about 99db/2V becuase at 2V at 2ohms you are really drawing 2W not 1W from the amp.

at 1000W/2ohms your are drawing in the region of 45V and you will be producing about 130db (if your subwoofer's suspension is being compressed as yet).

Using 2 amps will up your max SPL by about ONLY 3db (a barely discerable ammount) but will improve the definition in the bass. SO if you want better definition in your bass get 2 amps otherwise get 1 the added cost does not justify the SPL return.

abhayshanu, we are glad to answer your questions. But it would help if you listen to a few systems and do a bit of reading on the net. Google can be helpful and LBM is very good at Google. He can fish out articles like this.

Car Audio Tips, Tricks And Hints

Last edited by navin : 5th April 2009 at 23:08.
Old 5th April 2009, 23:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

navinji how much continuous load (ampere) a stock battery and alternator can take with proper wiring and big 3 upgraded.

Last edited by karankapoor : 5th April 2009 at 23:31.
Old 6th April 2009, 00:56   #53
BHPian

I really did not understand much of your post navin,but i think that you are right,i do hear a 'cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' in my ear after hearing the music quite loudly in my car,so i definatly not do that try to keep it down,just go overboard sometimes.and 4 hours was not continous,it was total time in a complete day.
Also what you are saying that i will get clear and tighter bass from 2 monos.
Also can any one in bombay tell me a person or a car with a nice SQL setup?
I am not auditioning as i feel wierd as i will buy the car in september and now its april,i just feel wierd,but i will do it anyways to know exactly what i want.
Also is there a great audio installer in bombay?
I do know a good one,he is in malad,near inorbit,a sardar,the shop is big and his men have alot of knowledge,have been going to him for a awhile and they solved all the problems in my qualis and wagon r system.I think the name of his shop is Im Popular.......Always.
Sorry for the inconvience to everyone,i will try to read even more.
will update after i go and audition.
Old 6th April 2009, 07:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

..abhaynshu, contact bass&trouble (a member here). he's in mumbai and can arrange you real nice stuff with professional advice and installation. sq/spl/sql.. name it!
Old 6th April 2009, 12:07   #55
BHPian

thank you,i have already contacted bass&trouble and he said that he was out and would reply to my query after monday.Also i didnt know that he was here,i said to him that i wont mind driving far from bombay,lol(is this not allowed?) now i feel a little embarassed
Old 6th April 2009, 12:37   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
navinji how much continuous load (ampere) a stock battery and alternator can take with proper wiring and big 3 upgraded.
45-75A, it depends on the car and the condition of the alternator and battery.

Quote:
Also can any one in bombay tell me a person or a car with a nice SQL setup?
Bhagwan. PM him. He loves to give auditions!

Most Viewed