Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 09:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rainbow Comps..which one to Buy? IDV3 12"..how much power?

Hi everyone,

i am planing to get this Amp from UK and need to know if its worth it. The specs are :
  • 55W RMS x 4 + 225W RMS Channels at 4 Ohms
  • 75W RMS x 4 + 360W RMS Channels at 2 Ohms
  • Signal-to-Noise (dBA) - 104dBA
  • Frequency Response - 10Hz - 100kHz and 20Hz - 250Hz (-3dB)
Now the reason i am considering this amp is the simple reason that its a 5 chl amp that can play all the four speakers plus the Sub.

I was wondring one thing, is it posiable to run my front comps with the 2 chls and the rest bridged to run the SUB??? if so, then what RMS will i get out of it for running the SUB. The reason for this question is that i am in a serious mood to get my ICE upgraded cause it has been an year now since i last did anything with it and you know according to BHPians, its high time now
Would really like to have advice on this upgrade from the fellow BHPians...
Old 13th April 2009, 19:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

how much is it costing u and whats the place you buying from ?
Old 13th April 2009, 20:19   #3
BHPian

AFAIK it a pretty decent amp for the price.
as for your other query i dont think it is possible to bridge the sub channel and the speaker channels but you can always bridge one pair of the speaker terminals for extra power...

Last edited by DjNik : 13th April 2009 at 20:22.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

i am getting it for 160 pounds which i think is pretty decent as compered to buying a 4chl amp like 1004 qhich cost arond 10K..dont u think so???
Old 14th April 2009, 01:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
AFAIK it a pretty decent amp for the price.
as for your other query i dont think it is possible to bridge the sub channel and the speaker channels but you can always bridge one pair of the speaker terminals for extra power...
Sorry Bro bit i didnt get it... cant i use 2 chl for front comps and the rest to the Sub maeking the sub more usefull....i am planing to buy IDV3 12 and was thinking that i could get arong 300+ plus to the Sub...isnt that posiable with this amp?? I want to have around 100 RMS going to front comps and atleast 300Plus to the sub...do u think that's posible with this amp??
Old 14th April 2009, 01:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

55W RMS x 4 + 225W RMS Channels at 4 Ohms;
75W RMS x 4 + 360W RMS Channels at 2 Ohms;
140W RMS x 2 + 225W RMS Channels at 4 Ohms;

these are the specifics of the amp.

if you want more than 100w going to compos, you can have only 225 w for the sub
Old 18th April 2009, 03:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

OK so my question is..is it worth buying this amp or should i buy 1004 instead to power front comps and Sub?? Please advice as i need to dicide whether i should bring this amp or buy 1004 from india. These 2 amps are the only choice i have. I am planing to run front comps which might be Rainbow SLX and SUB would be IDV3.

Also can anyone tell me what is the OHM ratio of Rainbow SLX...i mean are they 2 ohm or 4ohm?
Old 18th April 2009, 08:49   #8
BHPian

Rainbow SLX are 4 ohm. It's always better to have a mono amp for the sub and since you are keen on ID sub, you might feel the need of mono in the future.

1) If you are too keen on amplifying the rear speakers, than go for this 5 ch.

2) If you can leave the rear speakers off the HU, then -

a) Get the JBL 1004, power up the components & sub from it.
or b) Better buy a good 2 channel Amp + Mono or 2 X 2channel Amp from UK, although it may
shoot your budget up. (Genesis Profile 2 channel Amp in UK will cost you 11k)

3) Audition Rainbow Hammer Sub at the Gyro. If you like it, you may get it from UK for 10k.

Last edited by superbhikari : 18th April 2009 at 08:54.
Old 18th April 2009, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Rainbow SLX are 4 ohm. It's always better to have a mono amp for the sub and since you are keen on ID sub, you might feel the need of mono in the future.

1) If you are too keen on amplifying the rear speakers, than go for this 5 ch.

2) If you can leave the rear speakers off the HU, then -

a) Get the JBL 1004, power up the components & sub from it.
or b) Better buy a good 2 channel Amp + Mono or 2 X 2channel Amp from UK, although it may
shoot your budget up. (Genesis Profile 2 channel Amp in UK will cost you 11k)

3) Audition Rainbow Hammer Sub at the Gyro. If you like it, you may get it from UK for 10k.
Ok so if i leave the rear speakers and buy the 1004 and run the fronts and sub with it, then i will get around 320 RMS to the sub. Now what will be the point if i buy a mono which would again would be gving me the same RMS (around 300) when i can get that from one 1004? I mean i would have to spend extra for mono and even then i am not getting more power to SUB.
Old 19th April 2009, 02:25   #10
BHPian

Yes, you are correct to an extent. JBL 1004 may satisfy you decently. Point with JBL 1004 is that it is bit high oriented (i.e. their signature sound). Some say it is bit harsh amp to their taste. My experience with Rainbow SLX with Blaupunkt Velocity & Rainbow Ipaul amp (notorious setup) is - They are more natural & open sounding, great clarity, good depth with good midbass.
Adding JBL to Rainbow SLX may make it a bit bright. Adding a good sub to JBL 1004 will be no problem IMO.

Secondly, there are Mono amp available with higher rating too such as 500/700/1000/1500 RMS and so on. It depends on which mono you choose considering your budget & music taste. Since a Mono Amp is a Class D Amp compared to 2/4 ch Amps which are class A/B amp, they are specifically meant for the subs which in turn gives better quality, deep bass and overall finesse to your setup.
The difference may/may not be too huge or worthy between a setup with JBL 1004 and Mono for you. The best is you audition some mid-end to high-end setups which may widen your experience that how much each equipment of a system may effect your setup and then decide for the right equipment to add to your setup factoring in your requirement/taste and budget.

This is what i have learnt from my limited experience with some of the auditions anf experience of the fellow forum members & gurus.
Old 19th April 2009, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Yes, you are correct to an extent. JBL 1004 may satisfy you decently. Point with JBL 1004 is that it is bit high oriented (i.e. their signature sound). Some say it is bit harsh amp to their taste. My experience with Rainbow SLX with Blaupunkt Velocity & Rainbow Ipaul amp (notorious setup) is - They are more natural & open sounding, great clarity, good depth with good midbass.
Adding JBL to Rainbow SLX may make it a bit bright. Adding a good sub to JBL 1004 will be no problem IMO.

Secondly, there are Mono amp available with higher rating too such as 500/700/1000/1500 RMS and so on. It depends on which mono you choose considering your budget & music taste. Since a Mono Amp is a Class D Amp compared to 2/4 ch Amps which are class A/B amp, they are specifically meant for the subs which in turn gives better quality, deep bass and overall finesse to your setup.
The difference may/may not be too huge or worthy between a setup with JBL 1004 and Mono for you. The best is you audition some mid-end to high-end setups which may widen your experience that how much each equipment of a system may effect your setup and then decide for the right equipment to add to your setup factoring in your requirement/taste and budget.

This is what i have learnt from my limited experience with some of the auditions anf experience of the fellow forum members & gurus.
Thanks Bro...one more thing..do you know which mono should i buy from india which is around 10-12K and should be atleast 400plus RMS
Old 19th April 2009, 14:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

one more thing..i found this mono, let me know if this is a good mono to run IDV3 sub and also can i run this amp on 2 ohm to get max out of it for my ID?
Infinity REF1600A 600w Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifier
  • Power Output - 400 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio - 85dBA (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)
  • Dynamic Power - 600 watts at 2 ohms
  • Effective Damping Factor - 6.3 at 4 ohms
  • Frequency Response (-3dB) - 11Hz to 330Hz (-3dB)
  • Maximum Input Signal - 6V
  • Maximum Sensitivity - 100mV
Old 19th April 2009, 16:08   #13
BHPian

I don't have any idea of the ongoing prices & latest models of the Mono here in India right now. Out of touch ! I heard from anish9000 he is selling his Genesis Profile Sub Amp, details - Genesis profile sub or P1
1 x 350 watt @ 4 ohms
1 x 550 watt @ 2 ohms

price 18000/-

PM him and try to bargain, if you are interested in used products.

The Infinity sub seems to be good. You can run the IDv3 D4 sub at 2ohms for sure with this amp.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks..hey i just saw that even u are looking to get some stuff from UK same case like me. Let me know what all you are getting by updating your own thread please.. i am also looking at getting the comps from UK cause i see the Rainbow SLX it way cheaper in UK than in india so now plan to get it from there only..
Old 19th April 2009, 18:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Genesis or Harmon Kardon??

Alright things are changing now with my requirements. Now i would need to decide between these 2 amps. Here they are:
Genesis Profile 2
or
Harmon Kardon CA280

Now the question is which one. Genesis output is low (75RMS) compared to Harmon(110 RMS). I need this amp to run Rainbow SLX delux, hence i am little inclined towards Harmon as it more powerfull.
Please advcie.

Most Viewed