Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 11:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

problem with amp - Getting tripped

i dont know much about ice so please pardon me if its been asked before. yesterday i was playing music in my car at my normal volumes and suddenly the sound stopped. the head unit was working but the amp wasnt on. thought maybe some power wire was loose. after 10 mins put it on again this time it was working. again i played it at my normal volumes but then again it went off. after that the next time it came on i played it at much lower volumes. what could it be? this has never happened to me in the 2+ years ive had the car.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like it is overheating and tripping. When it stops playing, check it visually to see if any warning lights are on. What amp are we talking about, anyway?
Old 16th April 2009, 12:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Sounds like it is overheating and tripping. When it stops playing, check it visually to see if any warning lights are on. What amp are we talking about, anyway?
but its really weird. this is the first time in 2 yrs that its happening. its never happened before even when i play music at the same volumes. this is my setup -
  • Hu - Alpine CDA 9856
  • Front & Rear Speakers - Alpine SPS 17C2
  • Sub - SWE 1242
  • Amp - MRP F450
Old 16th April 2009, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

get your wiring checked there is a possibility that some wire must be shorting.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:37   #5
BHPian

Nah dont think any wire is shorting. If this was the case the amp would immediately trip after starting. But as Akshay mentioned, it works for sometime and then stops.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Nah dont think any wire is shorting. If this was the case the amp would immediately trip after starting. But as Akshay mentioned, it works for sometime and then stops.
there is a possibility as i said,when one increases the volume it creates vibration and when this can move your door pads then why not wire.wire having a small cut can touch any metal part which turns the protect mode on.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rats. I had the same problem with my sony amp. Rats had chewed a good amount of the speaker cables & it was shorting.

here is the responses I had for my query.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ching-off.html

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th April 2009 at 14:05.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:24   #8
BHPian

Either of the these - Over heating(happens,never happened but happens quite often now in summers)
- Grounding (Happens if the grounding wire is not proper, just remove it and cut and then install again.Actaully do it to all wires, just in case)

Happens to me quite often in summers as both my amps are under seat and some times i remove 1 of the amps to fit in the other car for testing and the wire remains loose.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

I too doubt its over heating.
Play it and check on the amp if some light comes up.
Old 16th April 2009, 20:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

i think it might have been over heating as the car was in the sun quite a bit yesterday. today it seemed to work normally.
Old 16th April 2009, 20:30   #11
BHPian

I've had a similar experience with a Sony 222. The amp started tripping (after playing for short periods) and died withing a couple of days. I got it repaired (was low on vitamin M) and it was a power transistor problem.

Please stop using the amplifier and get it checked immediately (to avoid further damage).
Old 16th April 2009, 21:21   #12
BHPian

akshay: guess, it's time to get to your tuner.

Had similar problems earlier until a visit to my friendly neighorhood tuner who worked his magic on the gains the LPF?HPF or whatever and since them was sans the probs.

FYI,My issue was similar, on higher volumes over say 10 minutes of usage it used to trip and after 10 minutes or so of waiting would work again.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:18   #13
BHPian

your amp is overheating. i faced similar issues in my previous car. and some tuning from the amp can solve it. also get your wiring checked.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

If the amp tripping ever repeats again check the power and Grounding cable.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I've had a similar experience with a Sony 222. The amp started tripping (after playing for short periods) and died withing a couple of days. I got it repaired (was low on vitamin M) and it was a power transistor problem.

Please stop using the amplifier and get it checked immediately (to avoid further damage).
well i used it today and it worked perfectly. so im guessing that it was due to the heat. bombay is pretty hot nowadays and the car was in the sun quite a bit like i mentioned yesterday. of course if it happens again i will definitely get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
akshay: guess, it's time to get to your tuner.

Had similar problems earlier until a visit to my friendly neighorhood tuner who worked his magic on the gains the LPF?HPF or whatever and since them was sans the probs.

FYI,My issue was similar, on higher volumes over say 10 minutes of usage it used to trip and after 10 minutes or so of waiting would work again.
already been tuned by ajay (bass&trouble) a few months ago.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks