Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 23:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

seriously! and imagine! clarion head unit! some decent standards are maintained by clarion.
i feel this head unit is decent enough for an entry level setup costing about 10-15k :-)
Old 10th May 2009, 00:00   #17
BHPian

Thanks TATA for giving preouts. This source unit is same as the one in

Clarion India | FB286BTB

I was about to sell this unit for Rs.3k. But for time being I will keep this unit and change speakers and add amplifier.

Later I am thinking of adding up CarPC in two or three months. In that case my source unit will go out, only amplifiers will come handy.

Now please suggest a entry level good setup.

I need respectable bass, if possible from door speakers.

Suggest me front components and rear coaxials with minimum price and entry level amplifier. May be 2 channel would be sufficient to power front components. Rear coaxials will be powered by source unit.

Later I will add Sub with monoblock amplifier.

Doors can accomodate 5.25" and dashboard 4" speakers.

What I am thinking right now...

1) JBL component 508c speakers
2) JVC or Sony Coaxials
3) And please suggest amplifier.

Please help me in my configuration.
Old 10th May 2009, 00:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

there is NO connection between the link you mentioned and your head unit!
yours is a cd player and the other is a multimedia manager with bluetooth and NO cd player!
yours is an OE unit custom made by clarion for tata, nonetheless!
Old 10th May 2009, 00:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

i think will even work for most of the user with fronts and sub, stay away from sony and jvc, you can buy jbl.

how much you are ready to spend.
Old 10th May 2009, 00:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
there is NO connection between the link you mentioned and your head unit!
yours is a cd player and the other is a multimedia manager with bluetooth and NO cd player!
yours is an OE unit custom made by clarion for tata, nonetheless!
Sorry for mistake in link. Now here is correct link Clarion India | DB286USB
Old 10th May 2009, 00:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

wrong link again mate. never mind
Old 10th May 2009, 00:17   #22
BHPian

I have Budget of around 10k and ready to purchase all things without B&W. Now please suggest me good setup for this price.

If someone is from Pune, then please suggest good shop where I can get these things done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
wrong link again mate. never mind
By this link I was saying Vista stock head unit has similar specifications to this. I think Tata ICE is same head unit with modified face plate.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2009 at 08:15. Reason: Merging post
Old 18th May 2009, 14:23   #23
BHPian

I changed front speaker setup to JBL GT5-S265c Component Speakers. I spent Rs.4.4k including installation on this with B & W. And Sound quality changed drastically. Component Speakers are really worth for it's money. Now I am getting crisp sound. I can listen to music parts which were not coming out from previous setups. It's really pleasure to listen music now.

And good thing about stock head unit is, it has 50w MOSFET output and 25w rated (rms) output. Head Unit can drive components easily. Compared to Sony (17w rms) and Pioneer (22w rms) it has very good output. At the same time my friends swift was there for ICE fitting. He opted for Pioneer 5050 and same speaker in front and JBL 2 way coaxials for rear. It was sounding awesome but my goodness clarion is clearer and louder. Output was really amazing. Clarion head unit has very few options but comparing the output it is really good to listen.

Installation was quite difficult. Because Vista doors have 5.25 inch speaker slots. I had to put two half inch rings to accomadate this 6" Components.

Friends, whatever ICE system you have, Components for front is absolute necessity. They really worth for the price.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 18th May 2009 at 14:25.
Old 18th May 2009, 18:50   #24
jpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I changed front speaker setup to JBL GT5-S265c Component Speakers. I spent Rs.4.4k including installation on this with B & W. ......
Installation was quite difficult. Because Vista doors have 5.25 inch speaker slots. I had to put two half inch rings to accomadate this 6" Components.
You have given me some consolation. Was just at Haute Car Zone, Chennai and they flatly said only 4in speakers can go in front and rear. Wasnt too happy with the 4in Kenwood, Philips, Sony Speakers that i managed to have a demo.

What are these 1/2 inch rings? Do the speakers fit into the enclosure or they prop out? Can you post some pics of your setup plz?

Thanks.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:12   #25
BHPian

speakers do not pop out. They just fit in. Only thing we need to cut plastic protruding inside the door panel. No visible change outside. 1/2 inch rings are just packing rings for fitting speakers, any accessory shop can show you this ring. I think Vista has 4" inch slots not 5.25", I earlier said that 5.25". I have those removed speakers they are really small in size looks like 4" ones. But no problem you can fit 6" very easily.

And I assure you sound quality is great with stock head unit. You are not in pune otherwise I would have demoed you sound with pioneer and clarion head units.

Now planning for changing to rear coaxials in next month.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 19th May 2009 at 11:14.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:22   #26
BHPian

Wow you lucky to get 2 pre outs on stock HU. Saves you a lot of trouble and money.The Linea Blaupunkt system has none. Very commendable indeed for TATA. If it was intentional double pat on the back for TATA.I just get so annoyed when manufacturers restrict buyer's intention to upgrade the stock ICE.

Go ahead and get yourself a 4 channel amp and a pair of components for the front and a sub woofer. However if budget is a constraint, it's better to save up and get yourself some good speakers, amp and sub woofer over the next few months rather than compromise. Do it stage by stage.

Last edited by pranava999 : 19th May 2009 at 11:26.
Old 1st June 2009, 21:24   #27
BHPian

sushantr5, have you by any chance got installation photos? Please post a few pictures of the components in the door (the crossover, tweeter etc).
Old 10th June 2009, 12:17   #28
BHPian

Hello Gurus and Friends...

I am back again for my next upgrade. In First phase I installed JBL GT5-S265c in front. After that I could hear improved sound quality, improved front stage. Now this time I want to give some pleasure to rear seaters as well would like to have moderate tight bass. As usual this time also I am tight on money so suggestions with less cost to pocket are most welcome.

So My requirements .
1) Improve Bass I mean I need tight bass
2) Improve Rear Sound stage.

Right now at rear I have default OEM speakers with pathetic sound. Nobody could judge the existance of rear door speakers.

I have following options.

1) Change rear door coaxials with JBL 2 way systems. (will not improve bass in that much extent but improve loundness and clarity): cost < Rs.2000

2) Remove door speakers and add 6x9 JBL 938s in parcel tray without amplifier
will improve bass and overall sound. But I dont know how rear passengers will react. Would they object this because speakers are now closer to their ears? Cost < Rs. 3500

3) Option no.2 + add four channel amplifier and drive front components and rear JBL 938s. cost < Rs.7000. If this is to be done then I will add option 2 first and after some time I will add amplifier in Phase 3 which will occur in two months after phase 2 upgradation

4) Instead of option 1, 2 and 3. Add Sub and amp all things basic entry level. Like JBL 1204 with custom enclosure. And Sony XPlod 2 channel amplifier (I am not interested in xPlod at all). Please suggest cheapest amp to drive JBL 1204 subs.
cost < Rs. 7000.

I think I am clear on requirement. Please help me

Thanks,
Sushant

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd October 2010 at 00:24. Reason: Extra smiley removed.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:21   #29
BHPian

What is Tight Bass.. here is better explanation
Tight Bass
Old 10th June 2009, 12:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

my vote for option #2 - its the best compromise. Remember to get .75 inch or thicker MDF

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks