Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 08:58   #1
sdh
BHPian

How to replace the stock radio in i10 Asta

I want to replace the stock radio in the i10 Asta with double DIN opening (similar to what is available in i10 Magna). I want to install a car PC there. Any idea how this can be done. Where can I buy required parts in Bangalore.
Old 25th April 2009, 12:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Please go through the Car PC threads in the DIY section. Those threads will give you an idea how that has been done and what parts have been used. Since one does not get a drop-in car PC replacement for the HU off the shelf, you will have to do a lot of DIY. Don't lose heart, it is not that difficult.
Old 25th April 2009, 14:55   #3
sdh
BHPian

I already have the PC part. I am looking at removing the stock radio and replacing it appropriate facia and mounting attachments in the dash board. Getting the centre console part of the Magna dash would be most ideal part. My question is, has someone managed to modify that part of car (to fit any other double din unit, like dvd player). If yes, where to get the parts.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here you go - have a look at these:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...c-install.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...tml#post317699
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...tml#post531526
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...tml#post667322

All these have modified the bezel to accommodate the LCD.

If you find these daunting and are wary of the DIY, you still have 2 options:
* Approach an experienced installer like Anwar / Thouqeer (Autofusion, Koramangala) or Venu (TMC Electronics, Jayanagar) to help you integrate the LCD monitor
* Instead of using the whole 2DIN space, use a 1DIN motorized LCD (in which the LCD comes out of the 1DIN housing) in the lower slot. This type cost slightly more, but no modifications are required and when the screen is out, it will cover the upper slot
Old 26th April 2009, 06:23   #5
sdh
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte, for your pointers. I am more a DIY guy. I have already intalled a car PC in swift. See this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...llation-2.html
What I am now looking for is where can I buy centre facia, similar to the one that comes in i10 Magna. It has a double DIN slot and that is all what I need. I checked with hyundai service centre and he told it is not in stock and will have order from Korea and will take 4-8 weeks to arrive. At the same time he was not sure if it will fit in Asta or not. So I was doubtful and did not order for now. I thought of checking in this forum if some one has replaced the stock radio with another double DIN unit. In that case, I could buy similar stuff for the dash. In worst case, I could order at hyundai and take chance. The facia, mounting brackets and the hadard switch will cost arount 2-2.5k.

Last edited by sdh : 26th April 2009 at 06:27.
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
Thanks DerAlte, for your pointers. I am more a DIY guy. I have already intalled a car PC in swift. See this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...llation-2.html
What I am now looking for is where can I buy centre facia, similar to the one that comes in i10 Magna. It has a double DIN slot and that is all what I need. I checked with hyundai service centre and he told it is not in stock and will have order from Korea and will take 4-8 weeks to arrive. At the same time he was not sure if it will fit in Asta or not. So I was doubtful and did not order for now. I thought of checking in this forum if some one has replaced the stock radio with another double DIN unit. In that case, I could buy similar stuff for the dash. In worst case, I could order at hyundai and take chance. The facia, mounting brackets and the hadard switch will cost arount 2-2.5k.
sdh, i would really like to know if you managed to get the double-din slot fascia like in the lower spec (i10 Magna) for your ASTA? i recently bought a new i10 kappa sportz which has the same integrated Head-Unit like the one you have in the ASTA.

Please let me know if you managed to get the required part from Hyundai......and if soo then how much did the part cost you? did it fit your car perfectly?

Gurus and fellow i10 owners plz drop in with your suggestions on the same.

cheers
Old 31st March 2010, 13:22   #7
zma
BHPian

my 2din in sports

i no its not having the finishing but i had hurried the work half way due to my exams.
i have to buy
magna frame like part.the mesh like part of ac can be used in both parts
but the problems will be
1.clock is missing and the gap has to be filled clock to buy is very expensive i think more than 3000rs.
2.there will be gap around the headunit. have to figure out how to patch it neatly.
good things are
indicator switch can be taken from the headunit.its been mounted in the company headset.
important thing.. THE FRAME TO MOULD THE SECOND HEADUNIT CAN BE TAKEN FROM THE OLD 2DIN.THERE IS LOT OF HOLES IN THE MOULDING FRAME FROM WHICH WE CAN SELECT THE APPROPRIATE ONE.
but we wont be able to mould it in the slanting way like the oe headunit.
so cosmetic side we have to work it out.
but just want to convey that ITS POSSIBLE

TRY TO FIND A MAGNA OWNER WHO WANTS THE HEADUNIT IT WILL BE A GOODDEAL FOR THEM TOO.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:55   #8
zma
BHPian

pic attached

missed to attach in the last post.
Attached Thumbnails
How to replace the stock radio in i10 Asta-img_0694.jpg  

Old 31st March 2010, 15:49   #9
BHPian

I bought the Magna dashkit from Jayabharat Hyundai, Mumbai for 3.5k. It comes in parts actually.... the kit includes the outer cosmetic frame, hazard switch, 2nos-din boxes and the Head-Unit mounting bracket just like in the ERA/Magna. The blowers are not a part of the kit as the same can be used from the existing sportz/asta dashkit as it is common and is secured onto the dashkit with screws.

The entire kit was first installed in the dealer's demo car which is a Sportz variant with integrated HU... and it fitted perfectly and looked bone stock. Thereby I can confirm that the ERA/Magna dashkits fit the Sportz/Asta perfectly.

I bought the kit as i plan to upgrade the entire ICE setup in the car sometime in the near future.....Its resting in my cupboard as we speak.

The only thing missing is the clock as in the Magna as it costs a whopping 3-4k which IMHO would be a waste of resources really as the aftermarket HU will come with a clock in anycase. ANd there is a tab which covers the area where the clock would normally fit...soo it doesnt look ugly in any case.

The final finish would look something like this...like a bone stock ERA dashboard
Name:  yhjjnhy.bmp
Views: 14712
Size:  351.6 KB
Note the plastic tab which covers the hole where the clock would normally fit in the Magna.

PS. The above pic is not from my car...I saw this pic in of the threads on team-bhp. The above snap has been posted by me as merely a reference point.

CHEERS

Last edited by prince85 : 31st March 2010 at 16:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks