Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 22:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

CD's Skipping? Whose fault is it & how to find out!

Sometimes the problem might be due to your burner or your media, and not your HU. I almost worried about getting my HU replaced until I did a scan and found out that my new burner was giving insane error rates.

How do you find out ?

Use Nero DVD/CD speed ( you already have it if you have nero installed)
else get it from
Nero CD-DVD Speed website

run a scan disc or disc quality to check your disc for errors.

It should show you the quality of the disc graphically

Interpreting C1/C2 error scans - Club CDFreaks - Knowledge is Power

some more info on interpreting the errors. This should make some interesting reading for those who insist on bit perfect audio

Note:
Mods, I know this should belong in gadgets and computer software, but i believe it is more relevant to ICE, hence posting here
Old 28th April 2009, 22:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have a Lite-On burner with custom firmware, Verbatim MIS media for DVDs, TY MIJ for important data on CD-Rs. About the best I could achieve. I tried so hard to find a Pioneer writer here in India - no such luck :(

Funnily enough, Moser Baer CD-Rs MII, considered very inferior on CD-Freaks are very much liked by all my friends who praise these discs for their performance under tough conditions.

P.S : MII - Made in India, MIJ - Made in Japan, MIS - Made in Singapore

P.P.S : Optiarc 72xx, Lite-On 20Ax available on eBay! Hallelujah! Well, all I have to do now is wait for my current drive to die (it won't).

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 28th April 2009 at 22:32.
Old 28th April 2009, 22:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dude the optiarcs are very much available locally. Picked the last one up for 1.25k , But its also the one giving me the grief.

I have an optiarc 7190 and a 7220 ( both liteys - my 4th and 5th ones ) , but the 7220 is giving me very bad errors with some Verb CD media. Must see how it runs on windows.

I miss my 1633 flashed to 1653. wish I hadnt sold it

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th April 2009 at 23:11.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have a 1673 flashed to a 1693. Best drive I've ever had - quite noisy though.

Did you get a lemon drive?
Old 4th May 2009, 11:43   #5
BHPian

What speeds are you guys burning at?
Old 4th May 2009, 12:25   #6
BHPian

I've noticed that if you burn the disc at slower speeds like 4X or 8X rather than full blast at which the burner allows. The skipping is avoided much. Don't know the reason though. But, it seems that if you burn them on those speeds discs don't usually skip no matter which format the disc has been burned in.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
I've noticed that if you burn the disc at slower speeds like 4X or 8X rather than full blast at which the burner allows. The skipping is avoided much. Don't know the reason though. But, it seems that if you burn them on those speeds discs don't usually skip no matter which format the disc has been burned in.

Regards,

Anirban.
+1

I burn my audio CD's at 4X.

Why does the speed at which you burn a CD make a difference?

Look for Gold Die CD's. They work well. I believe Moser Bayer has some available at slightly higher cost.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:10   #8
BHPian

The recently problem in my HU are like this... I burn my cd at lowest possible speed (4X). I also maintain separate set of DISC for the CAR HU. But some time still it is skipping the track. Even stop moving to next song. After I switch of for some time it start working again So doed this Skipping is also related to Heat that the HU generate ?
Old 4th May 2009, 13:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
But some time still it is skipping the track. Even stop moving to next song. After I switch of for some time it start working again So doed this Skipping is also related to Heat that the HU generate ?
What HU and how old is it? The HU's laser/lens may be dirty or it might be failing. Try a dry brush type CD lens cleaner - don't use low quality lens cleaners - if that does not help then it might be time to change the lens or get a new HU.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I burn at 8x/4x. some older HU's /CD players have problems reading discs burned above 8x, or at least thats what I remember hearing somewhere
Old 8th May 2009, 04:39   #11
BHPian

I've noticed a strange fault in my CD player these days. It sometimes doesn't read a particular disc which I'd been playing for quite a while. If I change and put in another disc it plays normally. And then after sometime if I chuck in the previous disc it plays well again!!! What is wrong??? I mean if it was scratched or corrupted it wouldn't play again the next time either. Any ideas or insight into this issue?

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

could possibly be its getting warm and loosing shape.
Old 11th May 2009, 00:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

i use verbs. azo ones. brilliant cds and dvds. cant perceive any difference in quality between verbs and moser baer, but i trust the verbs more for their data reproduction.
Old 11th May 2009, 01:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
i use verbs. azo ones. brilliant cds and dvds. cant perceive any difference in quality between verbs and moser baer, but i trust the verbs more for their data reproduction.
Well I've tried many brands including azo ones. The brands which i use mostly are Sony, Moser Baer, TDK & HP. Don't know what's wrong though as the same issue has been there with all the brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
could possibly be its getting warm and loosing shape.
Loosing shape...don't know. But yes might be a possibility.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 11th May 2009, 07:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

i had this old CD player which had a weak laser. Would work properly only after a while . maybe you have the same problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks