Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2005, 01:18   #1
BHPian

Sub woofers - Are they bad for the car?

Hi,

I have a new Esteem and have fitted them with a couple of 10 " subwoofers along with a Sony Amp.
Some one who was looking at the subs was commenting that there is a danger of the car's other parts going loose cos of the vibration from the subs. He probably meant the other screws / etc .

Does anyone have a clue if this is actually true ?

Pardon my ignorance .. cos this is my first subs experience.
Old 29th May 2005, 10:01   #2
BANNED

Hey There,

Please elaborate on how many woofers "couple" means. Also where have you installed them. I really don't think you have any reason to worry unless you have serious amplification and woofers to match. Even then the only vibrations you need worry about are in your "Ears".

Cheers,

Viper
Old 29th May 2005, 10:33   #3
BHPian

hi neoranjit
welcome to TEAM-BHP
i really dont think you will have any problems as such now but in future if you really keep the bass high your back windcreen might get a bit loose and you might have to get the windscreen rubber changed... and as viper said you need to worry about your ear vibrations...
Old 30th May 2005, 02:43   #4
BHPian

Kewl. Thanx for the replies. I just have a couple.. Just two. Going thru your replies just feels like there is no reason to worry.
Old 30th May 2005, 09:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey neo, nice to know u've got a subwoofer setup in ur car. i'm also a ICE fanatic like u. what amp and subs are u using?? i use a pioneer 6000 amp and a 305F sub.

i dont think u'll be having any problems because of the subwoofers. where have u mounted the two woofers... on the rear tray or in an MDF box placed inside the boot??
Old 30th May 2005, 17:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

i'd think potholes and speed breakers would do more damage than a pair of subs! yes your rear glass will vibrate a bit but i have not known a rear windshiled to come of. if your rear deck buzzes a little rubber sheet at the critical points will solve that too.
Old 30th May 2005, 22:11   #7
BANNED

buddy neoranjit,it is true that subs do cause some body parts to losen up a bit after sumtime,but only the high end subs and amplifiers that too at high volumes.a regular 2 subs and an amp or 2 combo wont affect the car much.it is ok if you have that setup in your car.

neways,congrats for the new car n setup.

big up((v))
Old 30th May 2005, 23:20   #8
BHPian

Well I have my doubts about SW causing body damage ...
Used to have two 15inch Subwoofers 1200W RMS each in my lancer driven by a 2000W RMS digital amp ...
Didnt cause any body part to rattle...
You just have to use good damping material on body panels ..
Installation has to be pristine for SW installations else there will be whole lot of problems ...
Remember that the Amp setting has to be perfect and not to overdrive the subwoofer ... sometimes to get extra punch as termed in laymans terms you end up overdriving the woofer ... Tighter running SW have a longer life and no harm to body parts ... So if u have too much BOOM in the car then reduce the gain on the amp...
Old 31st May 2005, 14:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

I got a JBL box in my boot. It gives alot of "bite" to my music. I doubt that I will ever live without one again.
Old 31st May 2005, 14:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I got a JBL box in my boot. It gives alot of "bite" to my music. I doubt that I will ever live without one again.
Ajmat, How is the sound reaching inside the passenger area? Did you put any slits/guides in the parcel tray?
I also have a doubt whether the sound pressure inside the boot hinder the free movement of the rear speakers cone, please clarify.
Old 31st May 2005, 14:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Ajmat, How is the sound reaching inside the passenger area? Did you put any slits/guides in the parcel tray?
I also have a doubt whether the sound pressure inside the boot hinder the free movement of the rear speakers cone, please clarify.

It resonates the car using the car strucutre
Old 31st May 2005, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the sound reaching inside the passenger area?
even i have that doubt, i've seen a couple of friends making holes at the centre of the rear tray to get the "BOOM" inside.

is it really necessary??
Old 31st May 2005, 18:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

not really. low freq. sounds are not damped easily.

Last edited by navin : 31st May 2005 at 18:40.
Old 31st May 2005, 20:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
not really. low freq. sounds are not damped easily.

Low frequency sound waves travel through hard material thats why when u only hear the boom boom from a car when it is at a distant or even outside a disco when u r entering u only hear the base and rarely even hear the mids and the highs
Old 12th June 2005, 01:49   #15
BHPian

Thanx a ton on the clarification folks. I was out on vacation to the himalayas ( read Badrinath / Kedarnath ) and has no access to the internet.

The woofers are in a box placed in the boot. Also , I discoverd the trick of increasing the bass from the woofers by adjusting the gain on the amp. Now I just like the way it plays. Thank U Evo6

Nitrous, I have a sony amp / sony 10" woofers ( thanx to a gud deal on circuit city ) Got front and rear Sony speakers locally and ofcourse the Sony CDX M800

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks