Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which will offer better SQ ?
High-end Headphone 25 54.35%
High-end Speakers 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 23:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Hi guys, getting back live on this forum after many years. ...
Are you an evil twin or a long lost brother
Old 6th May 2009, 23:31   #17
BHPian

Speakers!! gOOD speakers trump good headphones any day.
Old 6th May 2009, 23:55   #18
BHPian

Even though a good pair of cans coupled with a good headphone amp can sound heavenly its nothing compared to what good speakers coupled with the correct electronics can do.
IMO frankly it does not make sense comparing the two . Both are totally different sonic experiences.

Last edited by sk456 : 7th May 2009 at 00:06.
Old 7th May 2009, 00:18   #19
BHPian

1) Headphones are great, i do hear them most of the times, spend more time with headphones than with speakers,

Downside - they are responsible for 7 times more fungal growth in your ears than what nature intended your ears to be.

Sound great, agreed, but its not natural. The live/bass/sound is not there.

Speakers - wow, well if you compare "audiophile" speakers they weigh generally beyond 10-15kgs a piece, now compare the weight, engineering, quality, material and design time and managerial effort taken to bring these to the market, you are lost.

that's it, you will be lost as compared to real speakers, the market speaks for itself, there are people willing to put down tens of thousands of dollars for a wilson watt than a pair of sony/sennheiser headphones.

Additionally i'd like to add, the question is being asked to a very incorrect segment of speaker users/audience using speakers.

I've heard/auditioned the nautillus, the wilson watts (do not recollect the name) and the amayas from cadence. Loved them all, the equpment to run those speakers was the rest of story of success.

You can use or get nearest to audiophile nirvana with these speakers, nothing else comes close.

My very little 2 cents.

cheers
Old 7th May 2009, 09:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'd prefer regular speakers any day! The listening experience from speakers would be closer to the experience of listening to music live.

That said, I do like listening to music on earphones/headphones. I have close to zero experience with good headphones, but I have listened to a few nice in-ear earphones. I used to have a Shure e3c (hijacked) and currently use a Shure e2c.

While I do like sharing the experience of enjoying music, other family members like my kind of music, or the levels I prefer to play it at (no, I don't listen to music that loud). I also enjoy music the most when I'm listening to it alone. So at home/office, I prefer my Shures to anything else and usually don't listen to music in any other form. For the same reason I don't have a good listening setup at home. For someone like me, good cans/in-ear units would be very useful.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys Guys. I am not asking for the personally preference here. I am asking which will sound better. In which you will able to hear the minute details of the recording. In which you will able to see the sound stage....???

Hope I am able to ask the question in the right way. I am not asking for how you people like I am ask which will give better detail.

Cheers
Old 7th May 2009, 17:20   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
that's it, you will be lost as compared to real speakers, the market speaks for itself, there are people willing to put down tens of thousands of dollars for a wilson watt than a pair of sony/sennheiser headphones.

My very little 2 cents.

cheers
My even smaller 2 cents.

Maybe because People like to show off more than actually listen.

Not many would be able to see let alone hear the headphones in use.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Guys Guys. I am not asking for the personally preference here. I am asking which will sound better. In which you will able to hear the minute details of the recording. In which you will able to see the sound stage....???

Hope I am able to ask the question in the right way. I am not asking for how you people like I am ask which will give better detail.

Cheers
Speakers .Speakers and Speakers
Old 7th May 2009, 18:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Are you an evil twin or a long lost brother
I guess long lost evil, since twin and brother can be safely ruled out of the equation.

Btw, has anyone here owned/auditioned Grado headphones? Heard damn good things about them- their lowest priced SR60 has won many awards and it's priced crazily cheap! For 3 years I've wondered if someone could get me one from the US.
Old 7th May 2009, 19:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I guess long lost evil, since twin and brother can be safely ruled out of the equation.

Btw, has anyone here owned/auditioned Grado headphones? Heard damn good things about them- their lowest priced SR60 has won many awards and it's priced crazily cheap! For 3 years I've wondered if someone could get me one from the US.
I have the SR60 and they sound fabulous
Old 7th May 2009, 19:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh View Post
I have the SR60 and they sound fabulous
Where did you get em from? Any idea if they're available here in India?
Old 7th May 2009, 19:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were on sale sometime back and with free shipping to India. I might have the link. I'll see if i can find it.
Old 7th May 2009, 19:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine brought it while coming from the US. I don't think they are available here.

If you are planning to buy it, buy an amp as well. It makes a lot of difference.
Old 7th May 2009, 20:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

love high end phones but hate using earphones i tend to get irritated by them always play songs Via loud speakers or connecting it to the hometheatre (doing so on the n82 is cake)
Old 7th May 2009, 20:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post

Cheers
Frankly it's a very unfair comparison. Not just from the financial standpoint, but infrastructure wise.

With 'phones you might just need a good amp, sometimes not even that, and the soundstage is excellent.

With speakers the acoustics of the room and driver placement is of utmost importance. The best speakers in the world running off the best equipment can sound just 'OK' in an acoustically crappy room, where as a nominal setup can sound 'amazing' in a room designed for it.

So on that basis my vote is for a good set of 'phones!

But even still it is a very opinionated query. Go out and listen to some high end headphones, the sound quality is UNBELIEVABLY good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You sure they were not left in the patient by any chance?
Have heard B&O occasionally over the years. Have considered them tops in innovative design (hell, I would need a designer room just to keep them), but never "got goose-pimples listening to them" (as Navin describes it). Better than Jamo, Bose, etc. but not by a mile. Never coveted them since they are, pound for pound, much costlier than other stuff and I don't get loans at 4%.
Yeah the patients liver is probably an SQ fanatic
B&O do make some beautiful systems, the SQ is also up there IMO. But let's admit it these kind of systems are bought for their BLING factor more so than their SQ. Even the BOSE systems, they can be flamed all day at any forum, but at the end of the day to the regular joe, a bose is a BOSE whereas any other set like a Bolzano Villetri is just some other home theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
.. but my take is if you're travelling business class from DEL-JFK on AA, "bose-noise cancellation" headphones are a boon!
I can definately attest to that. Only it was Delta and first
DocG

Last edited by DocG : 7th May 2009 at 21:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks