Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 18:11   #61
BHPian

Hey shreyas seems like you made a good choice. I am very eager to audition them.
Old 27th March 2010, 05:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

congrats :-)
eager to audition this new set too :-P
Old 27th March 2010, 08:07   #63
BHPian

Waiting for more pics! Will look forward for the reviews of these speakers.First time, got to see this model from alpine!
Old 27th March 2010, 09:12   #64
BHPian

@pranava999, Thank you sir. You can audition them anytime after the install is over.

@frankmehta, Thanks to you for doing all the research. I only had to hear and decide whether to buy or not.

@Gill, these are not the first set here. Frank already has them and has also posted reviews. I will also post my views when I get to hear them. Post install that is.

Okay, now coming to the story of the amp. I was in love with the amp when I first saw it here. I liked the looks, the layout, the everything!! I had decided then that someday I will buy it. The price was way beyond what I could have spent on an amp alone. I have been saving for a very long time and ended up getting it finally. Damn! I wish ICE upgrades had some income tax benefits

The amp is the mighty Harman/Kardon CA470

Random image from the net. I don't know where I missed the pics I had taken.

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-image__ca470__front_view_02__.jpg

Last edited by shreyasma : 27th March 2010 at 09:15.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:07   #65
BHPian

Update:

The car was stripped completely and damping done.

28sqft of damping sheets went into the doors, wheel wells, bottom half of the firewall. 30sqft of foam sheets used for the roof and floor. Wheel well is pending as I kept it for later and forgot. Just remembered when I started to type this post

This is what happened later in order:-
  1. Cabling was done
  2. Board for amp and crossovers was cut and monted on the back of the rear seat.
  3. Front door pads were reworked
  4. Everything was fitted back into the car
  5. Tweeter pods fitted to the A-pillars
  6. System powered up and tuned.
Work started at 12.20pm and ended at 4am.
The only thing I didnt like was the finishing of the door pad as the vinyl use to wrap was not so stretchable inspite of using a heat gun. I will change it soon as soon as I get some time.

I will upload the pics by night.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Update:

The car was stripped completely and damping done.

28sqft of damping sheets went into the doors, wheel wells, bottom half of the firewall. 30sqft of foam sheets used for the roof and floor. Wheel well is pending as I kept it for later and forgot. Just remembered when I started to type this post

This is what happened later in order:-
  1. Cabling was done
  2. Board for amp and crossovers was cut and monted on the back of the rear seat.
  3. Front door pads were reworked
  4. Everything was fitted back into the car
  5. Tweeter pods fitted to the A-pillars
  6. System powered up and tuned.
Work started at 12.20pm and ended at 4am.
The only thing I didnt like was the finishing of the door pad as the vinyl use to wrap was not so stretchable inspite of using a heat gun. I will change it soon as soon as I get some time.

I will upload the pics by night.
There you go the most awaited upgrade . Nice choice of equipments shreyas. Eagerly waiting for the pics, upload fast.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:36   #67
BHPian

Nice upgrades sir. 2 peices of equipment I have been very eager to audition. Was this another of your DIY projects?? So when does the car open for public audition?
Old 31st March 2010, 10:50   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
There you go the most awaited upgrade. Nice choice of equipments shreyas. Eagerly waiting for the pics, upload fast.
Thank you. Sorry I couldnt call as I really forgot in the excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Nice upgrades sir. 2 peices of equipment I have been very eager to audition. Was this another of your DIY projects?? So when does the car open for public audition?
The car can auditioned anytime. I only have little finishing touches to be done that will take a little time. These are mostly on the looks part and a strong tweeter pod mount.

I am unable to upload pics as I am really held up with work. I am typing this post from my cell phone. Will upload ASAP

Last edited by shreyasma : 31st March 2010 at 10:52.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:50   #69
BHPian

Sorry folks,

I ended up only with these many pics of the install.
Will take some better pics of how it all looks after the completion and post it later.

- Car Stripped

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-8.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-9.jpg

- Damping

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-10.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-11.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-12.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-13.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-14.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-15.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-16.jpg

- Tweeter pod painted

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-17.jpg

- Amp and crossover board

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-18.jpg

Gurus, I have a small issue now.
I am feeling that the left channel of the audio is more in terms of volume because the tweeter is on-axis.
The imaging is some what not correct and feels its towards the left in spite of playing around with TA and the phase link modules on the crossovers. Will it help if I change the angle of tweeter pods?

Last edited by shreyasma : 2nd April 2010 at 11:59.
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:10   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post

Gurus, I have a small issue now.
I am feeling that the left channel of the audio is more in terms of volume because the tweeter is on-axis.
The imaging is some what not correct and feels its towards the left in spite of playing around with TA and the phase link modules on the crossovers. Will it help if I change the angle of tweeter pods?
Well. I have been using spherical pods since couple of months and had to play around a lot with the angle to get the right image. Firstly make sure that the pods are mounted 3" above the dashfloor. Try keeping both the pods off-axis and listen to how it image. Get the driver side pod aligned first to your listening preference. Than adjust the left passenger side pod in way where the image is right in the center. I have mine right side at 40deg of-axis where as the left is at 30deg offaxis.
Also, before you set the TA after adjusting the angle try with switching the phase of any one of the tweeter. See where the image pulls. You should notice the difference.
I mentioned this some where earlier, the reflection will add to the difference as to where you place the tweeter. Making pods is not a difficult part but what will make a good difference is where you place it and at which angle.

I suppose you are using Clarion 785 which gives you option of individual left and right channel EQ, which can be used at freq like 8k or 10k for highs to cut or boost to get the best result.

Last edited by Invinsible : 3rd April 2010 at 12:13.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Well. I have been using spherical pods since couple of months and had to play around a lot with the angle to get the right image. Firstly make sure that the pods are mounted 3" above the dashfloor. Try keeping both the pods off-axis and listen to how it image. Get the driver side pod aligned first to your listening preference. Than adjust the left passenger side pod in way where the image is right in the center. I have mine right side at 40deg of-axis where as the left is at 30deg offaxis.
Also, before you set the TA after adjusting the angle try with switching the phase of any one of the tweeter. See where the image pulls. You should notice the difference.
I mentioned this some where earlier, the reflection will add to the difference as to where you place the tweeter. Making pods is not a difficult part but what will make a good difference is where you place it and at which angle.

I suppose you are using Clarion 785 which gives you option of individual left and right channel EQ, which can be used at freq like 8k or 10k for highs to cut or boost to get the best result.
I did small modifications to the way the tweeter pod was mounted so that its angle adjustable. I also shifted the pod higher than earlier. Its about 4 inches from the dash on the pillar. It was about 1 inch earlier. After this I also changed the angle of tweeter in such a way that the left tweeter is approx 50 degrees off axis and right one is 30 degrees on axis. Now I like the way it sounds. I will also try other angles to decide the best position.
I tried switching the TA off but it still made very less difference.

This was the earlier position

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-imag0054.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-imag0056.jpg
Old 5th April 2010, 23:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Very nice work there shreyasma. Maybe you can post some high quality pics when you are satisfied with the install and tuning.
Old 6th April 2010, 02:29   #73
BHPian

OMG! I missed it for one whole week. Nice job Shreyas. And great choice of equipment there. Congratulations for the upgrade. You really needed me to take better pictures

I am not sure how will TA behave in this case. The TA works for left and right channel unless you want to go active and then TA will make more sense in such a setup where midbass and tweeter are so much apart. You know how little my understanding is so I may just be blabbering.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Very nice work there shreyasma. Maybe you can post some high quality pics when you are satisfied with the install and tuning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
OMG! I missed it for one whole week. Nice job Shreyas. And great choice of equipment there. Congratulations for the upgrade. You really needed me to take better pictures
No money for a good camera . I will post as soon as I borrow one from any one of the friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I am not sure how will TA behave in this case. The TA works for left and right channel unless you want to go active and then TA will make more sense in such a setup where midbass and tweeter are so much apart. You know how little my understanding is so I may just be blabbering.
Thanks Anant. TA has worked in my case. I marked the center of mid bass and tweeter and measured distance to this centre. What I set on the HU was just one step more than what I had measured. Same was done to the right channel. Its excellent now.

I dont want to go active due the investment on new amp and wiring. I want save the same money and ask you to get me a 7200MKII?

Last edited by shreyasma : 6th April 2010 at 09:43.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:41   #75
BHPian

Here are the finished pics. Includes the new tweeter mount
Attached Thumbnails
My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-1.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-2.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-3.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-4.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-5.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-6.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-7.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-8.jpg